Should I stick doing SL 5x5 or should I go back to split routine?

I mentioned on my last post that I started weightlifting last 2013. At that time, I was doing split routine, Chest/Triceps, Back/Legs, and Shoulder/Biceps. Then my classmate said that I had some improvement for just multiple sessions even if I was very active being a working student. This month, I decided to continue my unfinished job last 2013 in the gym. Last Wednesday, I failed to do OHP and I was wondering if SL 5x5 will help me to develop in just 3 months. As far as I know, de-loading of weights will happen after 3 consecutive failed sessions while doing OHP.

Kaya tuloy nung hindi ko sya nagawa, nagworkout ako after SL 5x5 para sa biceps and shoulders ko.

Di ko alam kung para talaga sa akin si SL 5x5 o balik na lang ako sa program na ginawa nila para sa akin. :disappointed:

Comments

  • TRoll_W_a_HeartTRoll_W_a_Heart Posts: 1,308S-Class
    edited July 2016

    Depends on your goals, Are you trying to be strong or trying to be big? there is a difference. Try different things and mix it up, you might have more slow twitch muscle than fast twitch, not everybody is built the same. Best advise for everybody,

    Try everything, take everything that works for you and make it your own.

    Post edited by TRoll_W_a_Heart on
  • ravagerravager Posts: 16E-Class

    @TRoll_W_a_Heart said:
    Depends on your goals, Are you trying to be strong or trying to be big? there is a difference. Try different things and mix it up, you might have more slow twitch muscle than fast twitch, not everybody is built the same. Best advise for everybody,

    Try everything, take everything that works for you and make it your own.

    Thanks again for your advice sir. Bawat comment puro encouragement na kung saan nakakatulong para sa mga members ng PBB. Isa kang alamat. :smiley:

    Maybe the best technique ay kung proper ang execution at yung tipong bugbog sa sakit yung muscle ng unti-unti at hindi biglaan. :wink:

  • ravagerravager Posts: 16E-Class

    By the way, hindi ba pwedeng both? Maging malaki at malakas? Pangit naman ata nung malaki nga yung katawan pero mahina naman pala. :smile:

  • ler4_warler4_war Posts: 186C-Class

    SL 5x5 will allow you to be stronger, it will contribute to some muscle gain but you will not be as defined as doing different programs. I started 5x5 early this week and I'm adding some extra bits to it.

  • TRoll_W_a_HeartTRoll_W_a_Heart Posts: 1,308S-Class

    @ravager said:
    By the way, hindi ba pwedeng both? Maging malaki at malakas? Pangit naman ata nung malaki nga yung katawan pero mahina naman pala. :smile:

    You still do get it, strength is relative, i dont do heavy weights like less than 3 reps coz of my age, im already Mid 40s, but moderate weight for me is 80 and 90lb dumbell presses for 8-10 reps..and i can still bench my own weight for reps....if a certain program doesnt work for you, move on and try something different, change is constant.
    Youll just look silly trying the same thing and expecting different results.

  • ravagerravager Posts: 16E-Class

    @ler4_war said:
    SL 5x5 will allow you to be stronger, it will contribute to some muscle gain but you will not be as defined as doing different programs. I started 5x5 early this week and I'm adding some extra bits to it.

    I see. So I think I should continue SL 5x5 because all of the exercises were helping me a lot except OHP. Maybe kapag nagde-load ma-appreciate ko na siya.

  • ravagerravager Posts: 16E-Class

    Okay, thanks sir. I learned a lot on your first comment. I look forward to learn my body and what does it need so that it will gain some development. :smile:

  • cramnhojcramnhoj Posts: 73D-Class

    @ravager said:
    I mentioned on my last post that I started weightlifting last 2013. At that time, I was doing split routine, Chest/Triceps, Back/Legs, and Shoulder/Biceps. Then my classmate said that I had some improvement for just multiple sessions even if I was very active being a working student. This month, I decided to continue my unfinished job last 2013 in the gym. Last Wednesday, I failed to do OHP and I was wondering if SL 5x5 will help me to develop in just 3 months. As far as I know, de-loading of weights will happen after 3 consecutive failed sessions while doing OHP.

    Kaya tuloy nung hindi ko sya nagawa, nagworkout ako after SL 5x5 para sa biceps and shoulders ko.

    Di ko alam kung para talaga sa akin si SL 5x5 o balik na lang ako sa program na ginawa nila para sa akin. :disappointed:

    Put simply, if you are still able to add weights to your lifts then SL is for you. Even if you only do this for bodybuilding, starting out with SL allows a beginner to ramp up the weight of his lifts and he can then switch to a bodybuilding program afterwards. Failing to do a set is normal, it doesn't mean you did something bad or wrong. Failing at OHP first is typical as it is after all the smallest muscle compared to the other lifts. What are the weights you lift in the SL exercises?

  • ravagerravager Posts: 16E-Class

    @cramnhoj said:

    These are the weights I lifted:

    SQ - 55lb
    BP - 50lb
    ROW - 70lb
    OHP - 45lb
    DL - 95lb

  • TRoll_W_a_HeartTRoll_W_a_Heart Posts: 1,308S-Class

    @ravager said:
    DL - 95lb

    If your consistent tataas din yan...try pyramiding, learn good form first, dont be in a hurry.

  • ravagerravager Posts: 16E-Class

    Last Monday, I failed to do OHP but I finished the first two sets. 5/5/3/4/3

    I terribly did something wrong on my first attempt to do OHP because I used a wrong bar. The bar that I used on squats was used also on OHP then I saw one of my gym mates who did OHP using a different bar and not the bar that I used. I assumed that it is not a olympic because it is too short that's why I used a bar for bench press and squats. :sweat_smile:

  • TRoll_W_a_HeartTRoll_W_a_Heart Posts: 1,308S-Class

    @ravager said:
    Last Monday, I failed to do OHP but I finished the first two sets. 5/5/3/4/3

    I terribly did something wrong on my first attempt to do OHP because I used a wrong bar. The bar that I used on squats was used also on OHP then I saw one of my gym mates who did OHP using a different bar and not the bar that I used. I assumed that it is not a olympic because it is too short that's why I used a bar for bench press and squats. :sweat_smile:

    Shrug it off, Whatever bar you use is irrelevant

Sign In or Register to comment.

Today's Bible Passage