From Scrawny to Brawny

Comments

• riddlerriddler Posts: 1,018
    fCIOVFPl.jpg

Everytime I see this image, I can't help myself but smile and agree with it. Food is your best weapon for physical and health change. Food choices really matters and makes a big difference, at least, from my very own experiences.

No matter how hard you train, if your NUTRITION sucks, your results will suck. Garbage in, garbage out.

PEACE OUT!
  • bokehbokeh Posts: 394
    ^ agree bro! Kaya yung iba nagtataka bakit walang gainzzz (isa na ako dito) kasi nakakalimutan natin kumain ng healthy food.

Thanks for sharing bro! Happy lifting hehe :)
    Here's another quote which I find funny but it's the cold hard truth if you really want to improve your nutrition, especially consistency.
    [size=medium]It doesn’t matter what you eat between Christmas and New Years, it only matters what you eat between New Years and Christmas.[/size]
    [align=right]- Vinnie Tortorich, FITNESS CONFIDENTIAL[/align]

Read. Think. Plan. ACT.
    I'm stoked with the announcement which was posted today in Jason Ferrugia's Renegade Strength Club (RSC). It's all about the new exclusive members only hypertrophy-based training program which I'm going to do for the next 8 weeks. It's called Takeover and will kick start tomorrow. Wooot!

7R7PkRgl.png

PEACE OUT!
  • rtravino29rtravino29 Posts: 1,549
    aabangan ko to sir riddler, I miss browsing thru your journal reading your lifting stats day by day, LOL!
    tsaka Jason Ferrugia na pinag uusapan natin dito, ibang level na to boss riddler ( though mas kilala sya s strength type training if im not mistaken ), haha!
    You are correct. More on strength-based talaga yung mga teachings niya although some program he designs also includes a mixture of strength and hypertrophy.

I just finished doing his No Mercy Phase 1 which is purely strength based but will abandon the Phase 2-4 in favor of the new hypertrophy based program. Sa totoo lang, there is nothing special on his programs, I just find it a lot more enjoyable than the other pre-made programs out there. Tsaka mas gusto ko talaga yung pre-made program instead of designing my own. I'd rather delegate that task to the experts rather than pretend to be an "expert wannabe" and do my own thang. Haha! :)
    I'd rather delegate that task to the experts rather than pretend to be an "expert wannabe" and do my own thang. Haha!

this ↑
    tsaka di ako marunong gumawa nang sariling program, like kung yung push / pull and yung main / secondary muscle na tatamaan, ilang reps / set dapat, so naghahanap na lang ako nang program online :P
  • brylle_55brylle_55 Posts: 166
    nakakabilib naman itong journal na ito ang galing :3 gsto ko dn maging kagaya ni sir Riddler :D
  • JettieJettie Posts: 3,763
    mirin brah! taena sarap ng ganyang may moolah for nutrition.. nakakainggit haha sana kaya ko rin yung ganyan !!
  • bokehbokeh Posts: 394
    post post post your updates everyday sir bro!

keep inspiring and motivating us.
    A wise man learns from his mistakes.

[size=medium]A wiser one learns from others mistakes.[/size]

[size=large]But the wisest person learns from others' success.[/size]

Agree? :)

PEACE OUT!
  • LazarLazar Posts: 565
    ^ Definitely
    [size=large]Usual day to day routine, activities and habits[/size]

[size=medium]Before S2B[/size]

6:30 AM - Wake up
    6:30 - 7:30 AM -> Prepare for work (breakfast etc)
    7:30 AM - 12:00 NN -> Work
    12:00 NN - 1:00 PM -> Lunch break, fooling around with officemates and friends
    1:00 PM - 4:00 PM -> Work
    4:00 - 4:30 PM -> Drive home, prepare for gym
    4:30 - 6:00 PM -> Strength training (3x per week)
    6:00PM - 12:00 MN -> Dinner (either restaurant or fastfood), anything goes for the night until I fall asleep

Rinse and repeat.

* I did this daily routine for almost two years. I thought I got some good results, not until I've seen the result after 1 year of S2B.

[size=medium]After S2B[/size]

5:30 - 6:00 AM -> Wake up
    6:00 - 6:30 AM -> Morning walk (while listening to a podcast or audiobook)
    6:30 - 7:30 AM -> Prepare for work (while listening to a podcast or audiobook)
    7:30 AM - 12:00 NN -> Work
    12:00 NN - 1:00 PM -> Lunch break with 20 mins de-stress time (meditate, read a book, power nap)
    1:00 PM - 4:00 PM -> Work
    4:00 - 4:30 PM -> Drive home, prepare for gym
    4:30 - 6:00 PM -> Strength training, Mobility work, Intervals, Walk etc
    6:00 - 7:00 PM -> Dinner Prep (while listening to a podcast or audiobook)
    7:00 - 7:30 PM -> Relax a bit, free time
    7:30 - 8:00 PM -> Dinner (Post workout feast and biggest meal of the day)
    8:00 - 9:00 PM -> Free time (do some fun things, computer games, guitar practice, social media etc)
    9:00 - 10:00 PM -> Pre-bed ritual (hot bath, reading, meditation, relax)
    10:00 PM - 5:30 AM -> Sleep

Rinse and repeat.

* S2B taught me a lot of things especially stress management and how to properly structure my day to day activities. It's a culmination of good lifestyle habits merged with things you need and love to do.

PEACE OUT!
  • popoycantonpopoycanton Posts: 216
    @riddler
    what was your diet like when you were leaning out? first/second quarter of 2014, when you were doing cardio twice a day.
    @riddler
    what was your diet like when you were leaning out? first/second quarter of 2014, when you were doing cardio twice a day.

It's a bit complicated to explain in detail, but in general, here's what I did.

Morning Walk
    10g BCAA

Meal 1
    2 palm lean meat (around 50g protein)
    4 fist of leafy and green veggies (around 4-5 cups)
    1/8 cup nuts
    2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Pre-Workout
    2 scoops protein powder
    1 fist spinach

Peri-Workout
    10g BCAA

Post-Workout
    2 scoops protein powder
    1 fist spinach
    5g creatine

Meal 2
    4 palm lean meat (around 100g protein)
    4-8 fist of leafy and green veggies (around 4-10 cups)
    1/8 cup nuts

* Do that for 13 days, on the 14th day, cheat day. Eat reasonably without any restriction. Rinse and repeat.For the past 4 weeks, here's what my meal plan looked like:

Meal 1
    2 palm lean meat (around 50g protein)
    4 fist of leafy and green veggies (around 4-5 cups)
    1/8 cup nuts
    1 piece of fruit

Pre-Workout
    1 palm lean meat
    1 piece of fruit

Post-Workout
    1 palm lean meat
    1 piece of fruit
    5g creatine

Meal 2
    4 palm lean meat (around 100g protein)
    4-5 cups of starchy tubers
    1 piece fruit

* Barely no supplement (protein powder) at all aside from multivitamins, fish oil and creatine.
    Body Weight
    55.7kg

MORNING

Morning Walk
    30 mins, 3.53 km at 8:53 min/km pace
    http://runkeeper.com/user/orlyarcelao/activity/399314406

AFTERNOON

RSC TakeOver Week 1

UPPER BODY REP DAY

Warm-Up (10-20 mins)
    - 5 min incline treadmill walk (15%, 4.2 km/h)
    - Foam rolling
    - Stretching
    - Mobility Drills (Band Shoulder Dislocation, Chest Level Band Pull Apart , Band Flyes, Abdomen Level Band Pull Apart, Band Face pull)

1) One Arm DB Row (3 sets x 15 reps, 30 secs rest per arm, 60 secs per set)
    Ramp-up Set: 20lb x 15 reps, 30lb x 10 reps, 40lb x 5 reps, 50lb x 3 reps, 55lb x 1 rep
    Top Set: 55lb x 15 reps
    Back-off Set: 45lb x 15 reps x 2 sets

* Picked an ideal weight for the target reps. 1 sec squeeze hold at the top of each rep. JF said that if you can't hold the weight for 1 sec, then you are using too heavy weight for your strength. Top set was the bomb. First time doing this high rep/volume sets and my back was literally burning like hell.

2a) Decline Push-Ups (4 sets x 10-12 reps, 60 secs rest)
    Work Set: BW x 12 reps x 4 sets

* Should be a ring push-up but no rings available on the gym so I just used a substitute. 3 secs pause at the bottom to add a bit of difficulty.

2b) Neutral Grip Pull-up (4 sets x 10-12 reps, 60 secs rest)
    Work Set: BW x 10 reps, BW - red band x 10 reps, BW - red/orange band x 10 reps x 2 sets

* Felt very weak on this exercise. Probably because I pushed too hard on the 1-arm DB Row. Added some assistance bands on the 2nd-4th set.

3) Standing Side Lateral Raise (3 sets x 12-15 reps, 60 secs rest)
    Work Set: 10lb x 15 reps, 10lb x 12 reps x 2 sets

* 1 sec hold at the top made it a lot difficult instead of just heaving up the weight.

4) Straight Bar Pushdown (4 sets x 12-15 reps, 60 secs rest)
    Work Set: Stack#5 x 15 reps x 3 sets, Stack#5 x 12 reps

* 1 sec hold while squeezing and flexing the triceps hard at the bottom. Lactic acid build-up on the last set, burning sensation like hell.

Post-Workout Walk
    30 mins, 4.4 km/h, 15% incline

* First day of RSC's TakeOver training program and it was tough as hell. I really hate high volume workouts. Looks like I will struggle the most on the high rep days of the program. Anyway, it's a new challenge and a welcome change to the usual routine.

PEACE OUT!
  • popoycantonpopoycanton Posts: 216
    thanks pare for the sharing the info.
    9 day Eid Al Fitr holiday officially starts today! Wooooottt! Sarap! :lol

Eid Murabrak! :)
    O48gkNE.jpg

On a typical 24 hour day, this is how a gym rat spends his day. 1-2 hours at the gym, the rest is outside the gym.

Now, one might ask, I am training hard and correct, yet I see little to no progress, what am I doing wrong?

Check the chart. There are so many ways to screw your results outside the gym. So if you think that a body transformation only happens at the gym, think again. Fix the other 92% and you will be on the road to success.

You want results? THINK. REFLECT. ACT.

PEACE OUT!
  • LazarLazar Posts: 565
    ^ Eye opener. Thanks bro!
    @badass_vinch, this one's for you bro! :)

TTwmYT4.jpg

The statements above hits the spot especially if you didn't take the "easy" way. PATIENCE. DIGNITY. WORK ETHIC. PASSION.

Can it be done? A resounding YES! :lol

PEACE OUT!
    There are so many ways to screw your results outside the gym. So if you think that a body transformation only happens at the gym, think again. Fix the other 92% and you will be on the road to success.

this ↑
  • Emman1986Emman1986 Posts: 1,819
    homagad! ung 92% ko kung saan saan ko nagagamit kaya siguro ganito lang gainz ko sa loob ng halos walong taon :(
    good luck sakin!
    Waking up in the morning looking like this?
    8NFn9mnl.jpg

PRICELESS! :twitcy:

PEACE OUT!
    Finally decided to skip training today. I was battling cough and mild fever the past two days now. Damn.
  • Chico EnzoChico Enzo Posts: 420
    riddler wrote:
    Finally decided to skip training today. I was battling cough and mild fever the past two days now. Damn.

Get well soon bro:sport:
    Chico Enzo wrote:
    riddler wrote:

Get well soon bro:sport:

Thanks bro! Pahinga ko na muna siguro ito up to Sunday. No heavy lifting muna. Gonna still do some bodyweight exercises at home though. :)30 Day Gut Healing Experiment Conclusion

Ok, so yesterday's the last day of my 30 Day Gut Healing Experiment personal challenge. I got sick 3-4 days back and still am as of today, but in general, I feel a lot much better compared 30 days back.

So what did I learn from this experiment? A LOT!!! I found out that I have a lot of food sensitivities that really affects the way I feel so I know now what to eat and what to avoid. I also discovered that I leaned out effortlessly without any SUPPLEMENTS. The best SUPPLEMENT you have is your FOOD. Bar none. No argument. Case closed. Dismissed. I should have known better. And yes, I was surprised with the result.

ZaXzXxj.jpg
    Left: July 2, 2014 at 56kg
    Right: July 31, 2014 at 55kg

Built the foundation, now I'm ready to add more muscle mass. Plan is to go as slow as possible without adding much body fat in the process. Wish me luck!

PEACE OUT!
    Plan is to go as slow as possible without adding much body fat in the process. Wish me luck!

Lean Mass Phase , Good Luck Sir!!
    Tomorrow, I'm going to start on my Slow Bulk Plan which is to add lean mass as slowly as possible with minimum fat gain.

Progress will be assessed every two weeks by means of strength, weight, girth and photos. Skinfold measurements will be done every 8 weeks. This is an unchartered territory for me so I will be very wary and observe how my body reacts with the plan and make any necessary adjustments accordingly.
    [size=medium]Nutrition Plan[/size]
    Mon-Sat at BW x 15
    Sunday at BW x 30

Carbs at around 200-250g on training days, 100-150g on non-training days
    Protein at around 150g daily
    Fat fills the rest

*Focus on whole foods most of the time and avoid junk foods as much as possible.
    *Multivitamins, Fish Oil and Creatine as supplements. Nothing else.

[size=medium]Training Plan[/size]
    4 days strength training (2 days heavy, 2 days reps, upper/lower body split)
    3-5 days morning walk (30mins)
    1 sprint day
    1 mobility day
    *Post-Workout walk

*I will be following the current RSC training program right now which is TakeOver.
    *Post-Workout walk will be added if fat gain starts to creep up faster than the muscle gains

[size=medium]Rest and Recovery Plan[/size]
    7-8 hours daily sleep
    20 mins daily de-stress time (nap, meditation, read a book etc)
    5-10 mins daily foam rolling and stretching (preferably after waking up and/or before bed time)

*Daily sleep target time is non-negotiable. I will prioritize sleep over any other recovery method.

PLAN is SET. TIME to ACT and IMPLEMENT.

PEACE OUT!
    Carbs at around 200-250g on training days, 100-150g on non-training days
    Protein at around 150g daily
    Fat fills the rest

sir riddler, question on this ↑

given na to galing sa RSC traning or calculated base on your TDEE / BMR?