13»

Comments

• YatezYatez Posts: 2,745
    okay sir vid
  • Big DawgBig Dawg Posts: 645
    kevn08 wrote:
    Nice guideline. Is it universal?

Body weight: 147 lbs

Deadlift: 340lbs (Intermediate~Advanced)
    Squat: 320lbs (Advanced)
    Bench Press: 205lbs (Intermediate)
    Military Press: 125lbs (Intermediate)

Lifting for exactly 1 year.

My program? Starting Strength.

For a guy your size AND only been working out 1 year, those lifts are fantastic! :sport:
    Yatez wrote:
    okay sir vid

LOL! Reminds me of the hundreds of times I've been called out for juicing when I was natty hehe - nice compliment Yatez. :p
  • HAHAHA! LAKAS MO BRAH. GJDM! <3 <3 <3 I be leaf this is real tea.
  • kevn08kevn08 Posts: 13
    Yatez wrote:
    okay sir vid

Would it be ok if I send it to you privately? To be honest, I'm not comfortable posting my video in public.

Big Dawg wrote:
    kevn08 wrote:
    Nice guideline. Is it universal?

Body weight: 147 lbs

Deadlift: 340lbs (Intermediate~Advanced)
    Squat: 320lbs (Advanced)
    Bench Press: 205lbs (Intermediate)
    Military Press: 125lbs (Intermediate)

Lifting for exactly 1 year.

My program? Starting Strength.

For a guy your size AND only been working out 1 year, those lifts are fantastic! :sport:

Thank you sir. But those are 1RM which I don't do. I'm kind of struggling progressing right now given my usual 5 reps target. That's why I shifted to a new program that makes me just add 5lbs to the bar ONCE a week. lol

Big Dawg wrote:

LOL! Reminds me of the hundreds of times I've been called out for juicing when I was natty hehe - nice compliment Yatez. :p

Yeah I was kind of expecting someone would doubt me for my current lifts. I myself couldn't believe I would reach this far. I started at around 60lbs for most of my compound movements 1 year ago. Linear progression responded to me very well.

Oh and yes, I'm natural all the way. Just some whey (currently experimenting with Promatrix 7) and creatine. My body type right now isn't that aesthetically big. Parang yung mga powerlifter na medyo skinny padin. Pero since medyo shift na ako sa aesthetics, I hope mag cut na ako soon.
    Ok eff it. Here's my video 4 months ago. I let my friend take a video of me (for form check) because this was the first time I'll incorporate box squats into my routine. This was the time I was a bit struggling progressing at 290lbs squat. Since Westside recommends doing box squat, that's what I did. Here in the video you can see me trying to do this with 255lbs on the bar with 3 reps. I can obviously do more but this video was just intended for form check anyway.

Since I mentioned that I'm not comfortable posting my video in public, I'll delete this ASAP.

Link ->

And yes, box squats helped me tremendously. The explosiveness on the way up is the key. And why am I barefooted? Research. :)

Although I don't do box squats anymore, I'm still looking for your opinions on my form. TIA. :)

BTW I was just around 137lbs on that video (August).
  • CoreCore Posts: 2,509
    IMO, the box looks too high for me...
  • monching11monching11 Posts: 7,273
    Im no form master but yeah it does look high compared to the box squats that frank yang does. And yeah you do look like your struggling sa bigat. Still, big numbers for 1 year grats.

You gonna continue your str training?
  • JettieJettie Posts: 3,763
    Tama monch, masyado mataas ang box squat na mas mataas sa hips nya then masyado wide ang box kaya ganun sobra ka wide ang foot placement nya.
    monching11 wrote:
    Im no form master but yeah it does look high compared to the box squats that frank yang does. And yeah you do look like your struggling sa bigat. Still, big numbers for 1 year grats.

You gonna continue your str training?

Yup, box is a bit higher than I wanted it to be. I'm struggling sa bigat? That's because box squats are far more harder. Notice how long I lose the the tension when I sat down? (I shouldn't rest that long sitting down because It'll make it 100x harder going up - 1 mistake I learned later on) I can do that easily without the box, but since box squats help you progress more, that's what I did. I was only 137lbs at that time and 6 months into the training.

Yes I'll continue strength training but I'll do higher reps on my isolations this time.
    Jettie wrote:
    Tama monch, masyado mataas ang box squat na mas mataas sa hips nya then masyado wide ang box kaya ganun sobra ka wide ang foot placement nya.

Wide stance is a requirement when you do box squats. Without the box, I have my heels shoulder width apart.

• monching11monching11 Posts: 7,273
    I just told you what I SAW in the vid. I don't know if its really harder than the conventional squats dahil sa taas ng box eh parang quarter rep ung nangyari. It might be a different story kung di yan box squat, kung ATG or below parallel mas gusto ko pa siguro and mas maniniwala pako na mas mahirap.

Whataver floats your boat brah. Keep on training, good luck :)
    Said it before, say it again - if someone wants to get strong, then give Westside a try. Westside puts out the strongest mofo's in the world. It's not my gig bcoz I'm not into pure powerlifting. But I have many friends before that got strong as shit on it. :sport:
  • Repped for delivering.

Kevs, did doing box squats as a Maximal Effort movement help you get out of the hole/sticking point on the way up?
    Yung part ng squat na wala na yung stretch reflex?
    monching11 wrote:
    Keep on training, good luck :)

Sorry bro medyo iba ata dating nung reply ko. Lol! Thanks bro! :)

Repped for delivering.

Kevs, did doing box squats as a Maximal Effort movement help you get out of the hole/sticking point on the way up?
    Yung part ng squat na wala na yung stretch reflex?

Thanks man. :)

Yup, it helped me a lot. I don't know how exactly pero siguro dahil you'll get stronger overall doing box squats.

Try it bro. Magugulat ka for example, do box squats na 250lbs. Then later on pag tinanggal mo na yung box at nag squat ka ng same weight, ang dali nalang pala.
    kevn08 wrote:

Yup, it helped me a lot. I don't know how exactly pero siguro dahil you'll get stronger overall doing box squats.

Box squats helps perfect form in helping prevent leaning forward too much. Leaning forward too much brings the lumbar into play bigtime, which can be a weak link and keep your squat poundage down - not to mention potential lumbar injury. Box squats teaches you to not only sit down, but to sit down and back, which is where the true power can be generated from the glutes, quads and hams. Louie at Westside has been teaching this for many years.

Btw, I also agree that the box you are using appears a little high. However, for only being at it for 6 months and doing that shit at 137 lbs is still incredible dude. Keep up the good work - repping you also! :sport:
  • nrg500nrg500 Posts: 1,233
    This is a bit OT but can Pause Squat be used instead of Box Squat ?

Will it be as effective in improving the Squat ?
    nrg500 wrote:
    This is a bit OT but can Pause Squat be used instead of Box Squat ?

Will it be as effective in improving the Squat ?

In short, no. It may be effective in a different way, but not the way the box squat is bcoz you can't "sit back", which is key.
    ^ i'm not sure but I think you wouldn't get all the benefits you can get unlike in box squats. Pausing would still keep your tension throughout the whole ROM. Unlike in box, you'll lose tension for a very short period of time (dont sit that long like I did in the video) therefore you would need to exert more effort during the concentric phase. That would be just my guess. Maybe the other guys could chime in.

Big Dawg wrote:
    kevn08 wrote:

Box squats helps perfect form in helping prevent leaning forward too much. Leaning forward too much brings the lumbar into play bigtime, which can be a weak link and keep your squat poundage down - not to mention potential lumbar injury. Box squats teaches you to not only sit down, but to sit down and back, which is where the true power can be generated from the glutes, quads and hams. Louie at Westside has been teaching this for many years.

Btw, I also agree that the box you are using appears a little high. However, for only being at it for 6 months and doing that shit at 137 lbs is still incredible dude. Keep up the good work - repping you also! :sport:

Thanks for clearing that up bro. Repped you as well. :)
  • nrg500nrg500 Posts: 1,233
    wala kasing box or similar object dun sa gym na pinupuntahan ko

merong adjustable bench (the sit and back support are both adjustable) pero laging ginagamit for curling or seated press

stiff leg dead lift at front squat lang ang gamit ko ngayon as assistance lift for the back squat