Noobie at 30

Greetings.

I am a 30 year old male. I have no lifting experience. Sometime in July, I played basketball. It was my first time playing since 2003. At 200-202 lbs with 39" waist, I was slow, weak and short of breath. It sucked! I decided to change my lifestyle.

I went to a diet first - "The Fast Metabolism Diet". I chose it because it promotes eating rather than fasting, and no counting of calories. I was actually eating more food during the diet. It was fine but hard because it prohibits a lot of food and drinks. It also requires some weightlifting. The author only gave a general one - heavy but low reps - and only one to twice a week. After I ran the diet for four weeks, I lost 10-12 pounds. I feel better at 190 lbs.

I was motivated to continue a healthy lifestyle so I chose to lift weights regularly. After browsing the web, I picked up the ICF 5x5, worked out at home and started very light.

WORKOUT A consists of Squats, Bench Press, Barbell Row, Barbell Shrug, Skullcrushers, Barbell Curl, Good Morning, Crunch, Calf Raise, while WORKOUT B comprises of Squats, Deadlifts, Barbell Row, Standing Press, Closed Grip BP, Barbell Curl, Crunch, Calf Raise.

Since we do not have a power cage, squat rack and I am limited with a cheap barbell (12 lbs.) and a total of 75 lbs of plates, I thought that I better go to a gym. As a weakling, it was hard to lift 87 lbs. and put it on my back to perform a back squat.

After signing up in a gym with a power rack, I decided to adopt Stronglifts. ICF 5x5 is too time consuming for me. It also involves a lot of exercises which may be too much for a complete beginner. I chose SL over Starting Strength because power clean intimidates me. Since I am working out by myself, with no trainer and only the web as my sole source of knowledge, I was attracted by the simpleness of SL 5x5. I added some assistance exercises to SL to develop my weak lower back, abs, glutes, hamstrings, etc.

As far as diet is concerned, my short term goal (which may be based broscience) is to have a body recomposition by taking advantage of noob gains. Since I just want to be stronger, I don't count calories yet. But I used myfitnesspal app to estimate the calories of the foods I usually eat to have an idea of my maintenance. So tantsa-tantsa muna. I'll adjust when I stall with the lifts.

I started SL last Sept. 13, 2013, with an empty bar. With less than a month of log, I haven't yet stalled buy my lifts are still light. I am not ashamed of lifting light though. I let the others hoard on the dumbbells and ez bars.

My modified SL routine, with my current lifts, is as follows:

WORKOUT A
Squat 122 lbs
Bench Press 89 lbs
Pendlay Rows 89 lbs
Declined Weighted Sit-Ups 2x8 (5 lbs behind the neck)
Calf Raise 3x8 (25 lbs dumbbell each hand)
Cable Pull Through (3x8x50 lbs.) or Back Extension 2x8

WORKOUT B
Squat
Press 70 lbs.
Deadlifts 125 lbs
Plus the above-mentioned extras

* If I still have time, I do vertical leg raise, planks and bridge.

SHORT TERM GOAL (Before the year ends)
Bench – 135 lbs
Squat - 195 lbs
Deadlift – 225 lbs

My form in every exercise still sucks. I am having a hard time going parallel when doing Pendlay Rows. I am sure that my back still rounds when I go below parallel in squats. I felt a little improvement earlier. Squatting randomly (in private) might have helped me in lowering my hips back, and keeping my knees above my feet. I still shake when I bench press. My deadlift is not yet fluid.

My goal is to increase my strength and take care of aesthetics later. I am not sure about aesthetics though because I don't have good genetics. I always have below average speed, power, strength, athleticism and muscles. I just want to be strong and healthy because since I went on that diet and started lifting, I feel better and I rarely catch colds.

I hope I didn't write too much and bore you. I joined the forum to learn more, and hopefully you can help me reach my goals. Please feel free to give me suggestions and/or criticize what I am doing. Have a great day. Thanks for taking time to visit my log.

Comments

• badass_vinchbadass_vinch Posts: 4,471
    welcome to PBB bro!
  • riddlerriddler Posts: 1,018
    Welcome to PBB Nick! Glad to see another 30+ guy around here. I'm already 33 btw. Same as you, I started late. Well, better late than never eh? Goodluck! :)

Regarding your workout routine. It looks good as it is. Just a tiny nitpick, Any reason why you can't do the standard stronglifts template of 3x a week?
  • ndgllbndgllb Posts: 104
    October 9, 2013.

5:00AM
    1 cup whole oatmeal
    1/2 cup milk
    1 tsp sugar
    1 pc Boiled Saba

6:00 AM

Squat 5x5x122
    Bench 5x5x89
    Row 5x5x89
    Declined Weighted Sit-Ups 2x8x5
    Back Raise 2x8 (Parang Glute-Ham Raise pero hindi horizontal yug sandalan ng quads)
    Standing Calf Raise 3x8x50

7:30 AM
    2 pcs. hard boiled egg

9:00 AM
    3/4 cup brown rice
    1 pc Fried Chicken (Drumstick)
    1/2 cup Ampalaya Guisado with Porkloin
  • milksworthmilksworth Posts: 3,130
    welcome dude! more power sa pag venture mo sa mundo ng bodybuilding and fitness!
    riddler wrote:
    Welcome to PBB Nick! Glad to see another 30+ guy around here. I'm already 33 btw. Same as you, I started late. Well, better late than never eh? Goodluck! :)

Regarding your workout routine. It looks good as it is. Just a tiny nitpick, Any reason why you can't do the standard stronglifts template of 3x a week?

Thank you Brother. Yes, it is better than never. I know that I made the right choice to lift. :sport:

What do you mean by the standard template? The older version with the dips, chins, etc, as assistance exercises, or the three main lifts per workout? I am doing the routine three times a week, but I thought of adding the other exercises to strengthen my posterior chain and core. I really feel that they are weak when I was started squatting. The focus though is on the five compound lifts. If the added exercises will instead impair my progress in the main lifts, I would gladly drop them. I added the calf raise with the hope of improving my vertical by at least an inch.LOL
    milksworth wrote:
    welcome dude! more power sa pag venture mo sa mundo ng bodybuilding and fitness!

thanks sir. sa ngayon, ganado pa. pero ipapagtuloy ko. maganda epekto sa akin.
    Oooopppsss... Just a misunderstanding bro. I thought you were just doing StrongLifts for 2x weekly. My bad.

Those accessory exercises you added are fine, at least while the weights are still light. Believe me, once the weight gets heavy, you'll ditch those additional exercises by yourself. :tongue:
    riddler wrote:
    Believe me, once the weight gets heavy, you'll ditch those additional exercises by yourself. :tongue:

Thanks for the warning bro. I am just taking advantage of the short rests that I still enjoy. Actually, I already feel that the real deal is near.
  • alvin7alvin7 Posts: 67
    Welcome boss
  • YatezYatez Posts: 2,745
    Welcome sir
  • monching11monching11 Posts: 7,273
    Welcome brah!

I like your goal, strength at first and aesthetics later. Nung nag umpisa ako confused ako sa dalawa lol.

Goodluck with your goals brah and keep us posted!
  • JettieJettie Posts: 3,763
    welcome brah!

Matanda ka lang a year sakin hehe.. we're still new.

I started out as a SL 5x5 din, pero nagstall na ko noon hehe.

My take using that program, it's very very linear.. tama si riddler, sa una gustong gusto mo pa dagdagan para mapagod ka when the time comes na on your week 6 or more..

You'll have to remove some accessories and stick to the main, well syempre di mawawala ang chinups/pullups and dips for strength build up!

Enjoy lang natin ang newbie gainz!
    alvin7 wrote:
    Welcome boss

thanks sir.
    Yatez wrote:
    Welcome sir

thanks sir.
    monching11 wrote:
    Welcome brah!

I like your goal, strength at first and aesthetics later. Nung nag umpisa ako confused ako sa dalawa lol.

Goodluck with your goals brah and keep us posted!

thanks sir. diskumpiyado talaga ako sa genetics ko.:twitcy: so i'll be happy with strength. pero siempre kapag ok na strength, maganda na ang foundation ko for hyperthrophy. so i'll have higher chance na gumanda katawan.
    Jettie wrote:
    welcome brah!

Matanda ka lang a year sakin hehe.. we're still new.

I started out as a SL 5x5 din, pero nagstall na ko noon hehe.

My take using that program, it's very very linear.. tama si riddler, sa una gustong gusto mo pa dagdagan para mapagod ka when the time comes na on your week 6 or more..

You'll have to remove some accessories and stick to the main, well syempre di mawawala ang chinups/pullups and dips for strength build up!

Enjoy lang natin ang newbie gainz!

tapos ka nang ma-milk ang linear progression gains ng SL? I am not expecting to reach 250+ squat, 200+ bench at 300+ deadlift. Basta lumakas lang at decent ang starting point ng weights kapag gusto nang magpaganda ng katawan.

thanks din sir. nag-assistance exercises ako kasi kasi diyahe na pumunta sa gym at matapos agad. at naisip ko din na ma-improve ko yung muscles na stabilizers ng squats at deadlifts. Sa totoo lang, takot akong sumubok ng chins at pull-ups, tingin ko hindi ko kaya ang isang rep. dito lang factor ang ego ko.LOL kapag naka-2 months na ako para sure na maka-isa.hehe
    ^i was 60 kg as far as I remember when I stalled, deadstop na yung progression ko no matter how I adjust sa recomp ( diet ) and deload method.

I stopped at 240 lbs at ATG squats, 160 lbs at Bench Press, OHP at 90 lbs , Deadlift at 280 lbs, BB rows at 120 lbs.. well it was one good program sakin talaga pero kasi naka Cut ako kaya nagstall ako hehe.. buti sana kung bulking tuloy tuloy siguro un.

So currently naka RPT ako para ma compromised sa Diet ko hehe..

About chins/pulls.. I'm sure lahat naman tayo nag start sa one rep or fail pa nga.. pero syempre over time lalakas rin ang pulling power mo.. ganyan din ako nagstart takot at ma ego hehe.
    Wow! Ok yung ending lifts mo with SL. Considering na you were cutting at that time. kahit - 20 lbs lang muna marating ko , masaya na ako.hehe i'll be patient with it. alam ko namang pnaghirapan niyo mga gains niyo kaya as a matter of respect, hindi ako dapat mainip.

sige sir, try ko nang mag-chin-up sa friday. wala nang hiya-hiya! post ko dito ang result (or epic failure).
    @ndgllb: dont worry kung magaan lang yung poundage mo ngayon kasi good move yung strength programs to establish a good foundation. usually after nyan ang laki ng strength increase mo at muscle gains. hindi ka pa din naman sure sa genetic potential mo since ngayon ka pa lang nagsimula. who knows, baka halimaw in the making ka pala :)

@jettie: matanda ka pa pala sakin? akala ko matanda ako sayo hehehe
    thanks sir vinch. kahit na 200+ lbs ako, mahina pa rin. payat kasi ng arms ko sir. yung bone structure talaga kaya maliiy siya tignan sa side view. naalala ko nung 3rd year highschool, ako lang yung nagpe-flex ng biceps na hindi nagbabago ang itsura.haha ngayon parang ang hina ko considering na 190 lbs. ako. kaya talagang tinanggap ko nang hindi ako genetically gifted, pero motivated pa rin ako to make gains, be stronger man lang. pero tama ka din baka nga i'll look decent after a year or two. salamat sa pagbisita at sa extra motivation.

@jettie: matanda ka pa pala sakin? akala ko matanda ako sayo hehehe

sir I'm ageless! hahaha 29 y.old ako.. feeling bata lang boss hehe
    ^bro check mo journal ni masala maker. inspiring yung progress nya, una sa weightloss lang tapos ibang tao na sya ngayon, pati strength nya ang laki ng improvement.

http://pinoybodybuilding.com/Thread-Enter-Chapter-II-Midnight-Strength-Training
    mod vinch, inspiring nga si chef. bigat na ng binubuhat niya, and he looks very fit. 315x5x3 ang DL niya!
    @jet

amf. Same reaction kay vinch. MATANDA KA PA PALA SAMEN!?

@ndgllb

FUCK GENETICS BRAH! TIME FOR THE GAINZZZZ LOL.

Seriously, don't mind it brah. We do with what we have and improve it kasi kahit anong iyak natin kahit dugo pa di naman na magbabago yan eh hehehehe. Force of will na lang :)
    hehehehe hindi ko alam kung good or bad yung comments nyo para sakin haha..

j
    nakita ko mga journals niyo, nakakapangliit. salamat sa pagbisita sa journal ko. i'll take it as a lesson na it takes hard work and patience para marating niyo ang curent conditions at physiques niyo, and a reason/motivation na dapat akong magsumikap din. alam hindi sure na maabot ko kayo, malamang hindi, pero maganda kung susubukan man lang.hehe
    @ndgllb: good luck bro! basta update mo lang lagi tong journal mo (training at diet) para matulungan ka ng mga memebers dito. Eto check mo din, yung kay dalton, andun sa journal nya yung journey nya. madami ka matututunan dun :)

http://pinoybodybuilding.com/Thread-daltonkamote-DARKSIDE
    ^+1

check papa dalts progress. Jumbo yan si papa dalts dati ngayon all-muscle na!
    WTF ang tanda mo na pala Jettie wtf wtf wtf
    hehehe age is just a number brah! hahaha
  • emon02emon02 Posts: 700
    Welcome brah. Its never too late hehe

nakakagulat naman yan Kuya Jettie lol
    Kung matanda na si Jettie para sa inyo, ano tawag ninyo sa akin? GURANG? Hahaha! :duh::duh::duh:
    amps ayoko na nga magpost! 19 lang ako!
    Kuya Jettie