Big Dawg

Comments

• sir big dawg,

any tips on achieving cobra wide lats? thanks :)

Haha thx for the compliment dude. I always did wide grip pullups for many years. My routine has stayed pretty much the same for many years: wg pullups, bb rows, t-bar rows, seated cable rows and deads. If one busts ass on those, unless they have the genetics of a scarecrow, they will get a great back. One problem I see is guys always changing their damn routine. How da hell you going to keep getting stronger on an exercise if you keep changing the shit? You can't. Stick to the Mac-Daddys like above, and make changes to the most important variable of all - the WEIGHT.

Another very important factor regarding lat training is focus bcoz it's very easy for the biceps to take over any pulldowns, pullups or rows. Once one can take the biceps out of lat training, the lats will really start to grow, This concept takes time to master.

Hope that helps :)
  • Let me add regarding my prior post. Certainly there were times I changed an exercise or two, usually which might include underhand pulldowns, hammer stength pulldowns & rows, db rows & db pullovers. However I was just saying what exercises were usually the mainstay in my back workout. I will say this - pullups & bb rows were ALWAYS there, unless I had an injury and couldn't do them at the time. I don't do pullups regularly these days bcoz RC issues, and don't do deads regulary bcoz of dealing with a T3/spine pain which happened a few months back. Also keep in mind pullups are much easier to do correctly when weighing 160 compared to weighing 240+ haha. It's not uncommon to see the advanced guy who weighs more to eventually switch over to pulldowns merely bcoz perfect form is hard to maintain when your hitting the mid-200's on the scale. But for anyone wishing to pack on alot of back muscle and building a killa V shape, pullups, bb rows and deads should be done whenever possible. ;)
  • milksworthmilksworth Posts: 3,130
    Big Dawg wrote:
    sir big dawg,

Haha thx for the compliment dude. I always did wide grip pullups for many years. My routine has stayed pretty much the same for many years: wg pullups, bb rows, t-bar rows, seated cable rows and deads. If one busts ass on those, unless they have the genetics of a scarecrow, they will get a great back. One problem I see is guys always changing their damn routine. How da hell you going to keep getting stronger on an exercise if you keep changing the shit? You can't. Stick to the Mac-Daddys like above, and make changes to the most important variable of all - the WEIGHT.

Another very important factor regarding lat training is focus bcoz it's very easy for the biceps to take over any pulldowns, pullups or rows. Once one can take the biceps out of lat training, the lats will really start to grow, This concept takes time to master.

scarecrow genetics - bahahahah!

this is what i always tell if someone asks me on how it train lats. focus on the lats or any body part that you were training and not on the arms. think of your arms are just a tool to pull the back muscle for the whole movement. its nice we have the same thing going when regards to back training sir BD.
  • milksworth wrote:
    Big Dawg wrote:
    sir big dawg,

scarecrow genetics - bahahahah!

this is what i always tell if someone asks me on how it train lats. focus on the lats or any body part that you were training and not on the arms. think of your arms are just a tool to pull the back muscle for the whole movement. its nice we have the same thing going when regards to back training sir BD.

Great minds think alike sir MIlk haha! Regarding of thinking of the arms as a tool - you are soo right. Matter of fact, many years ago when I was starting out, I remember reading by Robby Robinson - who was known for his crazy back development - that he thought of his hands as mere hooks to the bar, and he would imagine that he didn't even have any arms, that his lats was pulling the hooks. Man, I started doing that and when I mastered that connection, my lat development took off! Focus is utmost important when training lats for sure. It's apparent you have made that connection with that freaky V shape you got goin' on brutha! :)
  • JettieJettie Posts: 3,763
    Wait... hold my shake... Doing wide pull ups now na! hehe
  • Delts/traps today...

Smith military press - 225 x 8, 225 x 7, 225 x 6
    DB press - 80's x 15, 90's x 10
    Side DB laterals - dropset 45's x 10, 35's x 8, 25's x 15
    Rear delt machine - 130 x 15, 160 x 10
    Smith bb shrugs - 315 x 20, 405 x 10

All sets listed are worksets.
  • 90's only for DB press? shouldn't that be 100's too? :P j/k

hopefully by next year I can press that weight! :) I'd love to be able to press 200 for reps eventually then move up further

props to you bro! :)
  • 90's only for DB press? shouldn't that be 100's too? :P j/k

hopefully by next year I can press that weight! :) I'd love to be able to press 200 for reps eventually then move up further

props to you bro! :)

Thanks brutha. I probably could have gotten the 100's for 5 or 6 but don't like to go that low reps on db's. Keep on bustin' ass and you will be reppin' 200 before you know it. :sport:
  • Legs yesterday...

leg press - 750 x 15, 900 x 10
    leg ext - stack x 25, stack x 20
    hacks - 350 x 15, 400 x 10
    leg curl - 120 x 15, 140 x 8

standing calf machine - 3 x 20-25, stack + 50

Fucking sauna again yesterday - mamatay but I got it done hehe! :) :sport:
  • BraSoBraSo Posts: 785
    darn still impressed with those numbers! 900? and hacks of 400? sick... just sickening! (in a good way)
    hi sir bd, got a question, any recommendation for leg exercises without straining the knee? thanks.

I wanted a full 2 weeks off on squats or anything will strain or aggrevate the knee for some recover on my knee. Something odd on my left knee I don't know how to describe it but no stinging or flaring pain. Just want to recover , if it's still hurt despite of the given exercises.. maybe a doc will look into it..

thanks
  • Jettie wrote:
    hi sir bd, got a question, any recommendation for leg exercises without straining the knee? thanks.

I wanted a full 2 weeks off on squats or anything will strain or aggrevate the knee for some recover on my knee. Something odd on my left knee I don't know how to describe it but no stinging or flaring pain. Just want to recover , if it's still hurt despite of the given exercises.. maybe a doc will look into it..

thanks

Honestly I would rest it completely until it heals. I mean lets face it, to work quads the knee is involved on everything. Avoid hacks, lunges and leg extensions totally. If anything you maybe could try light leg presses with your feet placed up higher on the base than normal or squats on a smith machine with your feet out in front of you so there is no way the knee can extend out beyond the toes. But again, I would rest it entirely, or you could do more damage dude. Good luck healing fast.
    ayt so for 2 weeks or so every day is upper day I'd guess hehee ( without the DL's tho )
  • BraSo wrote:
    darn still impressed with those numbers! 900? and hacks of 400? sick... just sickening! (in a good way)

Thanks brutha! I'm just tryin' to hang bcoz I used to go alot heavier back in the day. :)
    Jettie wrote:
    ayt so for 2 weeks or so every day is upper day I'd guess hehee ( without the DL's tho )

Good deal bro - let it heal. :)Braso today...

bb curls - 110 x 12, 110 x 8
    seated incline db curls - 50's x 9, 50's x 7
    single arm preacher curl - 50 x 15, 50 x 12

pushdowns - 200 x 12, 220 x 8
    skullcrushers - 120 x 12, 120 x 10
    leaning overhead rope extensions - 150 x 15, 150 x 12

Killa pump but dead mode today regarding strength - sweated out all my energy on legs yesterday I believe. :banghead:
  • milksworthmilksworth Posts: 3,130
    cant imagine how heavy you lift back in your days sir BD! ahahaha! seriously, you might have been warming up with our maxes!
  • milksworth wrote:
    cant imagine how heavy you lift back in your days sir BD! ahahaha! seriously, you might have been warming up with our maxes!

I used to do hacks with 550-600 for 8-10 reps and leg press with 1300-1400 for 10-12 reps. However I was on & packing about 25-35 lbs more muscle, water & fat haha. That might sound like alot but it's really not when compared to the best in the world, ie, the Colemans, etc. I never was one to compare myself just to other guys in the gym or locally - that's an easy recipe to not grow. Big fish in a small pond ain't shit - big fish in the sea IS shit haha. ;)
  • Big Dawg wrote:

I used to do hacks with 550-600 for 8-10 reps and leg press with 1300-1400 for 10-12 reps.

:jd::jd::jd: Dem strength sir BD !
  • Didn't post here last few days...hit chest tues, back wed, rest thurs delts yesterday. Gonna kill legs later today "yeaaaahhhh budddaaayyy light weight babbaaaayyyyy nuthin' but a peanut" haha. :p :sport:
  • POWER!!!!
  • sir BD, have u experienced crepitus on your shoulder?? and how did u manage it?? tnx sir
  • Big Dawg wrote:
    Didn't post here last few days...hit chest tues, back wed, rest thurs delts yesterday. Gonna kill legs later today "yeaaaahhhh budddaaayyy light weight babbaaaayyyyy nuthin' but a peanut" haha. :p :sport:

YEp yep yeahhhhh budddey! COLEMAN
  • KarLMiStaH wrote:
    sir BD, have u experienced crepitus on your shoulder?? and how did u manage it?? tnx sir

Hearing sounds in the joints is quite common and usually no problem if there is no pain involved. My joints been rattling and popping for years haha. Some supps like fish oil, glucosamine, gelatin, etc may help but if it causes pain I would seek medical attention.Bombed legs Saturday...

leg press - 800 x 15, 875 x 12
    leg ext - stack x 30, stack x 20
    hacks - 400 x 12, 430 x 8

leg curl - 120 x 15, 140 x 8
    sldl - 220 x 12, 220 x 10

standing calf machine - 3 x 20-25, stack + 50

Haven't did sldl in a long time so not going overboard with the weight.
  • Hit chest yesterday, arms today...

bb curls - 110 x 12, 130 x 7
    seated incline db curls - 50's x 9, 50's x 7
    Arnie style concentration curl - 35 x 12, 45 x 8

pushdowns - 200 x 12, 230 x 8
    skullcrushers -120 x 12, 140 x 8
    bench dips - 3 x max reps

Pumped like a mofo! :)
  • Big Dawg wrote:
    KarLMiStaH wrote:
    sir BD, have u experienced crepitus on your shoulder?? and how did u manage it?? tnx sir

Hearing sounds in the joints is quite common and usually no problem if there is no pain involved. My joints been rattling and popping for years haha. Some supps like fish oil, glucosamine, gelatin, etc may help but if it causes pain I would seek medical attention.

tnx Sir BD, its been 2 weeks now, i think i got it after chest workout then went for a swim the next day. forgot to do stretching. i experienced pain during flat bb, i cant barely lift 70 lbs but i can lift 70lbs on db press. then yesterday i tried using the long bar start at 50lbs then keep on adding 20lbs after each set til i reach 150lbs with no pain then stop. tnx sir gonna buy some supps.
  • Back day...

wg pulldown - 220 x 10, 250 x 7
    bb row - 250 x 15, 300 x 8
    T-bar row - 200 x 12, 250 x 8
    cg underhand pulldown - 180 x 12, 200 x 7
    hyperextensions - 2 x max reps
  • Big DawgBig Dawg Posts: 645
    I slacked off posting workouts past week or so. Still busting ass like always, just won't be posting every workout. Hit delts & traps today...

db press - 80's x 15, 90's x 9, 90's x 6
    db side laterals - 35's x 15, 45's x 10 drop 35's x 8 drop 25's x 15
    bent over db laterals - 35's x 15, 45's x 12
    bb shrugs - 350 x 12, 350 x 10
    db shrugs - 100's x 20, 100's x 15

All sets listed are worksets.

Just want to mention something I failed to say before - I never have a spot. All reps are always me 100%. Think that's worth noting bcoz you see many guys in the gym making "claims", but the spotter has his hands on the bar helping for many of the reps duh haha. :)
  • DSmallDivideDSmallDivide Posts: 4,565
    Big Dawg wrote:

Just want to mention something I failed to say before - I never have a spot. All reps are always me 100%. Think that's worth noting bcoz you see many guys in the gym making "claims", but the spotter has his hands on the bar helping for many of the reps duh haha. :)

Hahaha those damn "claims". If the spotter touches the bar it ain't a rep. As I always say, the spotter is only there to help you unrack/rack the bar (in the case of a squat catch and help you up if you fail the rep) nothing more.

Kudos to you bro BD! As they say, "It's All on you bro!" :)
  • monching11monching11 Posts: 7,273
    Of course sir that is worth noting! unracking the bb or just lifting the DB's up to the starting position takes a great deal of effort already.

90db's for presses, guys in your gym must be stopping whatever they're doing when you do your sets sir BD!
  • Big DawgBig Dawg Posts: 645
    monching11 wrote:
    Of course sir that is worth noting! unracking the bb or just lifting the DB's up to the starting position takes a great deal of effort already.

90db's for presses, guys in your gym must be stopping whatever they're doing when you do your sets sir BD!

I should clarify. The only time that I get a "spot" is on shoulder day if doing pbn OR heavy db presses. The reason is pbn is a potentially dangerous exercise on the RC, and trying to lift 200+ lbs up initially when the bar is far back behind you is suicide for the RC haha! Sooo, indeed I will get a spotter to give me a lift-off and re-rack it only, but no help with reps, no hands on the bar during pressing. Same with db press - when I go over the 80's, I get a guy to hand me one of the db's bcoz it's difficult & wasted energy to clean the 90's up to start. I can't just "kick them up" like with incline presses, bcoz at my height and long torso it just ain't happening on the vertical seated bench. But the main point is, I never get help with the actual reps on any exercise.
    Big Dawg wrote:

Hahaha those damn "claims". If the spotter touches the bar it ain't a rep. As I always say, the spotter is only there to help you unrack/rack the bar (in the case of a squat catch and help you up if you fail the rep) nothing more.

Kudos to you bro BD! As they say, "It's All on you bro!" :)

Thanks brah! Man back in Virginia, USA, we used to have a gang that would come in on the morning on for chest day. They would get up to 315 on flat bb bench, and get like 3 or 4 hard reps. THEN, they would throw on another plate - 405 for the next set. I would be thinking "how da fuck is he going to get 405 if he just struggled with 315 for 3" haha. Sure enuff, his spotter would be with him from the first rep - DEADLIFTING the shit off him for 4 or 5 reps. Then when finished, spotter would say to the guy "it was all you bro" hahaa! Funny shit! :p
  • allen101allen101 Posts: 5,102
    Hahahaha! "It was all you bro!"

Just like in the meme pics I'm seeing lol