Better late than never

i've finally signed up last Jan. 2013 after lurking here for a few weeks, reading and back reading on some of the threads. I've been meaning to start up my journal, but can only find the time to do it today.

I've had my time in the gym back after i graduated from college which was a long time ago but had to stop after 6 months when i got a job. though I've been busy making a living since then, specially after i had my own family, i've always find ways to keep fit, by exercising at home using a set of dumb bells and riding my MTB on weekends if time permits, but its on and off due to the pressures of work.

After a job promotion, a couple of years back, tied me up to my desk (so to speak). Summer last year was some sort of a wake up call...i started to experience High blood pressure almost every week, with a family history of such, i decided to bring out the set of dumb bells which had started to gather dust and include exercise in my daily routine. By December 2012, I bought a bench, a long bar and additional plates and had been diligently working out three times a week just to stay fit, but these exercises were limited to upper body due to a motorcycle accident i had back in 2006, left me with a not so fit right ankle which would not allow me to do squat much more a dead lift. so most of my leg exercises are done riding my bike for about 30 mins-1 hr on weekends...

However, because of the motivation i got from mods and members after signing up, and patiently answering questions i've posted...i have finally included back in my routine squats and deadlift. though my injured ankle at times hurts a bit, but i make it a point to do these exercises,even if i can not really push it too far as of the moment, but I do hope that it will help in its recovery as well.

I've also learned to monitor my food intake and compute for my macros and learning about supplements too, again thanks to the support of members. More power to PBB...

Comments

• emon02emon02 Posts: 700
    welcome again sir, nakakarelate ako ng sobra sa highblood pressure, ang bata palang naexperience ko na yan. hehe
  • noelnoel Posts: 304
    sabi kasi nila normal na daw kasi at my age to experience it...i know some people who are even 10 years younger than me who are on maintenance already....call me stubborn but i refuse to join the bandwagon if there's something i can do about it still...

so far normal na bp ko....working out did help a lot...may plus points pa...he he he
  • kopikopi Posts: 690
    Finally ur journal sir..glad u took my advice..this really helps on ur goals and see if ur improving..also thru this we can help u better..kudos to you sir! :^^
    thanks for the support bro, you've been one of those who's been there to help me since day 1...
  • JettieJettie Posts: 3,763
    yown.. me journal na rin! rak na yan!
  • kopikopi Posts: 690
    noel wrote:
    thanks for the support bro, you've been one of those who's been there to help me since day 1...

No problem sir..anytime :^^
    @jettie
    Thanks for the excel file...made some adjustments base on the nutritional value of the common foods i take on a regular basis...then placed a cell for each where i can input the quantity para mas madali ma-compute ang macros...
  • emon02emon02 Posts: 700
    noel wrote:
    sabi kasi nila normal na daw kasi at my age to experience it...i know some people who are even 10 years younger than me who are on maintenance already....call me stubborn but i refuse to join the bandwagon if there's something i can do about it still...

so far normal na bp ko....working out did help a lot...may plus points pa...he he he

good to hear that sir, mine was also on the normal range as well after a few months in this lifestyle, my hypertension started when I was just 15years old. way too young :)
    ang bata mo naman nagka HB...i started to have this at age 48...then it became more frequent late last year before i turned 49....

anyway, its a bay now, thanks to the WO and proper eating habits....my real intention was just to stay fit, para di ako mag maintenance kasi gastos yun...ngayon gastos pa rin kasi maintenance ng Whey...he he he, but at least i'm getting results aside from keeping fit...

I will be posting my exact routine soon, para ma evaluate ng mga masters...hoping you guys might be able to check it out baka meron kailangan ng improvement....TIA
  • JettieJettie Posts: 3,763
    noel wrote:
    @jettie
    Thanks for the excel file...made some adjustments base on the nutritional value of the common foods i take on a regular basis...then placed a cell for each where i can input the quantity para mas madali ma-compute ang macros...
    Patingin sir hehehe para may idea ako sa ginagaw kong bago... mukhang buong weekend may pasok ako kahit holy week eh so baka ganito mangalkal ng kung ano ano atupagin ko
  • allen101allen101 Posts: 5,102
    Thanks for sharing your journal sir Noel.

Nice story, very inspiring. Tuloy tuloy lang sir.
  • CoreCore Posts: 2,509
    It's never too late ika nga...
    Upkeep the lift and health! Long live to sir noel!
    @jettie
    cge bro, send ko sa yo....wait lang...

@allan
    thanks bro, sayang di ko inabot yung bench mo...he he he

@core
    Thanks again bro...

update:
    Monday - 3/25:
    1st day of work out after a long rest, i hardly finished my scheduled routine, felt tired & weak.

Tues - 3/26:
    Got DOMs...listened to my body, decided to rest...

Wed - 3/27:
    felt a bit better...but can hardly do 5-6 reps out of the usual 12 reps

Thurs & Friday:
    No work out...decided to devote these 2 days to the Lord.

Sat - 3/30:
    did my Thurs W.O. I felt a bit stronger...added 5 lbs for each exercise, and can do 12 reps.

Mon - 4/1:
    back to my regular routine later....

Thanks for the support guys...
    been out of town for practically 4 days last week to attend a training seminar....

Workout: .....got to do it only on Monday
    Rest:...........sitting for the duration of the seminar 2 days ( 9am - 7pm)
    pagod sa byahe
    Sleep:..........Puyat for 4 days straight
    Nutrition:.....Made sure i hit/exceeded my macros each day

Back to workout routine yesterday after office...

Result:
    Though i was not able to increase the poundage, i was able to increase each set of my exercises by two reps....

not bad i suppose...
  • pacoy1002pacoy1002 Posts: 538
    noel wrote:
    i've finally signed up last Jan. 2013 after lurking here for a few weeks, reading and back reading on some of the threads. I've been meaning to start up my journal, but can only find the time to do it today.

I've had my time in the gym back after i graduated from college which was a long time ago but had to stop after 6 months when i got a job. though I've been busy making a living since then, specially after i had my own family, i've always find ways to keep fit, by exercising at home using a set of dumb bells and riding my MTB on weekends if time permits, but its on and off due to the pressures of work.

After a job promotion, a couple of years back, tied me up to my desk (so to speak). Summer last year was some sort of a wake up call...i started to experience High blood pressure almost every week, with a family history of such, i decided to bring out the set of dumb bells which had started to gather dust and include exercise in my daily routine. By December 2012, I bought a bench, a long bar and additional plates and had been diligently working out three times a week just to stay fit, but these exercises were limited to upper body due to a motorcycle accident i had back in 2006, left me with a not so fit right ankle which would not allow me to do squat much more a dead lift. so most of my leg exercises are done riding my bike for about 30 mins-1 hr on weekends...

However, because of the motivation i got from mods and members after signing up, and patiently answering questions i've posted...i have finally included back in my routine squats and deadlift. though my injured ankle at times hurts a bit, but i make it a point to do these exercises,even if i can not really push it too far as of the moment, but I do hope that it will help in its recovery as well.

I've also learned to monitor my food intake and compute for my macros and learning about supplements too, again thanks to the support of members. More power to PBB...

good to see someone at the same page as me here. pacoy pare 49 yrs old din. medyo nahinto ng couple of months almost a year na din sa gym. medyo may problema sa puso ( stent procedure sa left artery) but am back, kaya natin to.
  • allen101allen101 Posts: 5,102
    Ikaw naalala sir Pacoy naalala ko dito kay sir Noel hehe
    noel wrote:

However, because of the motivation i got amingrom mods and members after signing up, and patiently answering questions i've posted...i have finally included back in my routine squats and deadlift. though my injured ankle at times hurts a bit, but i make it a point to do these exercises,even if i can not really push it too far as of the moment, but I do hope that it will help in its recovery as well.

welcome bro, it's good to hear someone on the same page. hail babyboomers hehehe...
    coming from you Sir Pacoy...this is more than a compliment...

yes sir...kaya natin to...its all in the mind...no more excuses...

may isang advantage ka lang sa akin sir...your son can be your gym buddy,
    my son is just 6 years old...taga kuha ko lang ng water....he he he
    kung minsan nga ayoko rin kasama napapasabay ako sa lift niya. tapos kakantiyawan ka pa dad dont be a pussy hahaha...kayang kaya bro, hinahanap hanap ko talaga. para akong nanghihina pag di nakabuhat. sabi nga ni misis di ka ata hinihingal ngayon hahaha....lapit na yan boy mo 15 puede nang isabak. hehehe
    wala ng atrasan to sir....i feel bad at parang kulang ang week ko kapag i get to miss my WO sched
    during times that i have to leave due to work related travels....but at least, i don't let the missed days
    become a reason to give up on working out...dati kasi, pag naka miss ng sched..nagiging way para mawalan
    ng gana...

iba talaga if ang motivation natin is to stay fit, rather than just to look good.....
    brad noel, nakabuhat ba tayo ngayon? hehehe....may ginagamit ka bang supps o vits?
    Sir pacoy,

yup...mamaya pag uwi after office...
    chest & triceps routine ko later....

i take centrum for my multi vitimamin and PM7 only...
    the rest ng macros, i try to get them from actual food...
  • ot3pch4not3pch4n Posts: 134
    Hi sir Noel. Ako rin may Hypertension at may maintenance nang tine-take pati sa cholesterol. It runs in the family at halos lahat nagkakaroon by age 30. Eventually naging normal na HDL, LDL at uric acid after ko magbawas ng timbang.

Tinanong ko ang doktor ko kung posible pang tumigil sa gamot. Sabi niya ang maintenance ay para hindi lang lumala ang Hypertension kasi sa iba kailangang 2 capsules na ang i-take kapag napabayaan. Minsan sa katigasan ng ulo nage-experiment ako. Inuubos ko gamot ko at naghihintay ako ng ilang araw o linggo bago bumalik sa doktor para kumuha ng gamot. Normal ang BP ko sabi ng nurse. Siguro kung hindi nagbawas ng timbang o nagbubuhat, baka iba ang istorya. Kapag nakauwi ako sa Pinas, hingi ako ng second opinion.

Good luck on your goal sir and stay healthy :)
    actually yun ang ayaw ko...yung dumating sa punto na i will be taking maintenance para sa HB, it runs in the family kasi...swerte ko pa nga raw kasi i only started to be affected by it, late 40's na ako...sometimes kasi, nature na yata ng tao, na naghihintay pa muna tayo ng warning sign bago tayo matauhan...he he he

i guess sa panahon ngayon common na 'to, even younger kids nowadays are being affected by it...so we really need to be conscious about our health and include exercise in our daily routine...
    i'm actually happy that there are a lot of members here who are still young yet engaged na sila into healthy living...

keep it up sir, believe din ako sa progress ninyo...
  • El-bad4ssEl-bad4ss Posts: 265
    forgive my ignorance, ano ba yung hypertension?
    high blood pressure sir....
    sayang natapat ng holiday kahapon eh rest day ko sa pagbubuhat...
    gustong-gusto ko sana mag work out kahapon kasi walang gagawin, but rest is also important..
    so, kain tulog ginawa ko kahapon..he he he

Chest & triceps day later after office
    anong oras ba ang wo mo pre noel? san gym ka?
    usually sir mga 6-7pm, pinaka late na yung 8 pm if i get to start late.

home gym lang sir...these is what i have and use for my routine so far:
    > one (1) multi-purpose bench for:
    >> Flat/Inclined bench press
    >> with attachments for Leg extension and
    >> lat pull
    > one (1) long bar
    > one (1) EZ curl bar
    > two (2) short bars ( for dumb bell)
    > several plates totaling to 180 lbs

dagdag ko na rin, one (1) mountain bike which i get to ride on weekends for about an hour for my cardio workout...
  • lloydi12345lloydi12345 Posts: 174
    Ui wow! 49! hehe.. inspiration kayo samin. Sana sumama rin dad ko minsan sa pagbubuhat.

Happy healthy heavy lifting!