Deadlift 101

Comments

• jcumali008jcumali008 Posts: 1,090
    allen101 wrote:
    @Stannis - Oo bro, pero hindi naman ako after work nagbubuhat e.

Worst ko na yata ito ngayon, nag pop talaga lower back ko while doing DL. My bad of course.

sobrang sakit ba sirpag nag pop? get well soon and pacheck up sa doctor..
  • emon02emon02 Posts: 700
    Searching for guidelines how to determine if sumo or conventional deadlift and saw this from bb.com

How to determine Sumo and Conventional Deadlift
    1. Secure a tape measure to the wall with the zero end at the floor. Make sure the metric side (centimeters) is what you are using.

2. Stand with your back against the wall. Measure from the top of your shoulder to the floor. This will give you your total body measurement.

3. With a straight arm and your hand in a fist, measure from the top of your shoulder to the middle of your fist. This is your total arm length.

4. Raise your thigh to determine where your thigh rotates into your pelvis. Once located, lower your leg to the floor and measure from the top of the shoulder to this point. This is your trunk length. Also, subtract this measurement from your total body measurement to give you your lower body length.

Record these measurements and perform the following calculations:

1. Divide "trunk length" by "arm length".
    2. Divide "trunk length" by "lower body length".

The resultant numbers will tell you the following:

1. Arm to trunk length ratio. Example: If your truk is 50 cm and your armi is 65 cm, divide 65 into 50=0.77. This indicates that your trunk is 77% of your arm length or that your arm is 23% longer than your trunk.

2. Trunk to lower body length ratio.

These numbers will help you determine which method, conventional or sumo, will allow you to lift the most weight by biomechanical standards.

CONVENTIONAL
    If your trunk to arm ratio is less than 0.82 and your trunk to lower body length is less than 0.55, you should consider the conventional style. With your arms longer than your trunk, you'll finish the pull with the bar below your hip joint. This finishing position indicates that the initial starting position of your trunk (trunk angle) will be larger (more upright). This would indicate more activity from the quads as well as the hamstrings and glutes. A more upright trunk angle will also create a larger knee angle at the starting position, making the shift of the shoulders, knee, and hip more uniform-that is, they rotate in a biomechanically correct sequence.

SUMO
    If your ratios are larger than 0.82 and 0.55, the initial starting angle of your trunk would be smaller (more inclined) and will therefore position you in a biomechanically inefficient position. With your trunk more inclined, the activity of your trunk and hip extension muscles will have to follow a different, more inefficient pattern. This will basically result in increased activity from your hamstrings and glutes and decreased activity from the quads. This will also increase stress on your erectors and particularly the lower back and could cause rounding of your upper back. The solution would be sumo.

Source: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=108595111&p=181075901#post181075901

I find it somehow helpful :)
  • Mighty_OakMighty_Oak Posts: 3,940
    5 deadlift tips from Brandon "Cube" Lilly! but I think "Zangief" fits him more!

Most of his inputs are applicable for at least an intermediate lifter to advanced but still even noobs can benefit from this especially on his last tip.
  • StannisStannis Posts: 1,377
    Boss Mighty tanong ko lang yung take mo tungkol dun sa sinabi niya about mastering yung dalawang klase ng DL, ganoon din ba yung sayo?
    For me it's more of a preference and whatever suits your body mechanics.
  • hi. beginner lang ako hohoho at kanina pinatry saken mag deadlift, di ko magawa ng maayos , mejo squat yung naggaw ako can you give me tips guys anong muscles ba dapat involved? (dun lang sa pag labas ng pwet hindi pa kasama yung pagbuhay mismo) kasi sumasakit lower back ko. can you give me instructions tips on this one please
  • check the first page mismo of this thread there is an artic i posted that covers almost everything on doing deadlifts :)
    Still can't get enough watching these two guys pull the 3 heaviest DL's of all time.
    Parang kaya pa nung last ng mas mabigat pa!
  • na aadik ako sa Deadlift..dati hate na hate ko..lol pero gusto ko pa rin matutunan ang perfect form lalo na kapag heavy
  • emon02emon02 Posts: 700
    nakakafrustrate pag nasanay ka na may chalk dati tas ngayon wala na, sabayan pa ng pasmadong kamay. kahit kaya mo pa sumusuko na yung kamay mo. arte nitong kamay na to e. lol pati tuloy sa mga next exercise struggle sa grip lalo na sa shrugs parang babagsak yung barbell :unhappy:
  • noelnoel Posts: 304
    i was afraid to include this in my routine due to my right anle that got injured a few years back.
    but thanks to the motivation posted in my intro thread by some members...i;ve decided to include it gradually,
    studied the right form and was able to do 3 sets of 8 reps with 100 lbs yesterday (labas na lahat pawis ko...he he he) nakakahiya kasi ampaw compared to what most of you lift here...but at least its a start

again thanks for the motivation guys..
    ^We all have to start somewhere. So soldier on brah.
  • noelnoel Posts: 304
    thank you very much sir...my only regret is that i should have found this site earlier....
    more power to every at PBB
  • kulafu25kulafu25 Posts: 292
    kailan ba nagiging squat ang buhat mo pagdating sa deadlift mga sir?
  • if you are sitting "way too low" at the bottom part of the lift
  • kulafu25kulafu25 Posts: 292
    @DS

ok sir, thanks po sa info!
  • markyq3markyq3 Posts: 50
    sir may back injury kasi ako. pero that was long ago 5 years. ngayun balik gym ako. pero im still not doing deadlift meron po bang ibang type ng buhat na target ang lower back na hindi masyado dilikado?
  • daltonkamotedaltonkamote Posts: 3,629
    kahet naman may back injury ka, pwde ka mag deadlift, need to be strict to your form, proper form dapat, and yung poundage or bigat eh accomodating para sa lower back mo, hindi mo dapat babyhin yang injury mo, dapat yan goal mo or challenge sayo, IMHO
  • DSmallDivideDSmallDivide Posts: 4,565
    what kind of back injury are we talking about? does it still hurt till now?
  • markyq3markyq3 Posts: 50
    minor slip disk sir. Hindi siya pain more on parang madaling mangawit. nag trigger siya pag slight bend like for example nag huhugas ng pingan pag matagal sa ganun position nangagawit na ko and i need to stretch. napa check ko naman na sa doctor ok naman just dont do too much load sa likod.
    Nung nagkinjury ka ba nag pa physical therapy ka? hindi ka naman ang undergo ng surgery diba?

I had my lower back injured last january from deadlifting as well pero nadala naman sya sa rehab exercises and stretching didn't need to see a doctor actually.

My take is you can still do deadlifts and start on lighter loads muna make sure to observe proper form then work your way up lang sa bigat gradually. light enough not to re-injure yourself but heavy enough as well to induce growth and make yourself stronger in the long run. Just make sure to monitor the part where you got injured pag sumasakit ng tdo then stop muna but don't stop it completely kasi mas mahirap magkaroon ng strength imbalances sa katawan. ito ay suggestion ko lang naman :)
  • allen101allen101 Posts: 5,102
    Dagdag ko lang, minsan nkakadagdag yung negative thinking natin.
    Sa case ko nadadala ako ng takot na ma re-injure ulit yung lower back ko kaya napapa back off ako sa weight or the DL itself.
    ^^

+10000

Touche! pareng allen but then again we will not move further where we are at if we "don't do something about it", so it's really a matter of strong convictions you can either man up and progress in a samrt manner or just leave your progress down to the drain and kiss your goals goodbye :)
  • daltonkamotedaltonkamote Posts: 3,629
    markyq3 wrote:
    minor slip disk sir. Hindi siya pain more on parang madaling mangawit. nag trigger siya pag slight bend like for example nag huhugas ng pingan pag matagal sa ganun position nangagawit na ko and i need to stretch. napa check ko naman na sa doctor ok naman just dont do too much load sa likod.

also had this, but then again...

my dls is fine now. not that heavy just fine..
    Si Ate Rose ng OG gaya ng na kwento ko noon na dumating sa punto na halos di na makatayo because of a severe back injury but nag qualify pa sa Asian Raw PL Classic recently after about a year and a half of rehab and training.

Grow some balls.
  • allen101allen101 Posts: 5,102
    ^^

+10000

Touche! pareng allen but then again we will not move further where we are at if we "don't do something about it", so it's really a matter of strong convictions you can either man up and progress in a samrt manner or just leave your progress down to the drain and kiss your goals goodbye :)

Yup. That's actually my point.
    I'm currently gaining back my DL stat slowly and hopefully surely. Hehehe.
  • monching11monching11 Posts: 7,273
    allen101 wrote:
    Dagdag ko lang, minsan nkakadagdag yung negative thinking natin.
    Sa case ko nadadala ako ng takot na ma re-injure ulit yung lower back ko kaya napapa back off ako sa weight or the DL itself.

+1

You attract what you think.
  • zehelzehel Posts: 43
    ako din po may lower back injury, nung 2004 pa ito.

-ganito ko nakuha yung injury ko.
    nag lalaro kami ng mga kaibigan ko. tumatalon kami sa 2nd floor pababa.. meron kasing buhangin sa ground floor kaya hindi masyado mataas.. paulit ulit ang pag talon namin, nung pang 5th na talon ko, sumakit ng bongang bonga yung lower back ko bandang tailbone yata yung tawag dun..tapos hindi ko ma-i-hakbang yung left leg ko.. bali kinakaladkad ko sya.. after a week nawala na.. pero nung 2008 nung nag start ako mag buhat, medjo bumalik...

-kagaya nung kay sir markyq3 yung nangyayari sakin.. hanggang ngayon ganun.. ang totoo nyan pag nag huhugas din ako pinggan sumasakit likod ko eh.. saka pag matagal nakatayo.. pati pag nakatulog ako ng naka flat likod ko sumasakit pag gising ko.. kelangan paiba iba lagi pwesto..habang binabasa ko nga tong thread na to ang sakit na ng lower back ko eh.. laging ganito ito antagal na.. minor slip disk na pala kundi ko pa nabasa sa comment ni sir markyq3 di ko malalaman..

pero hindi naging hadlang sakin yung sakit ng likod ko para iwasan ko yung deadlift, nag dedeadlift parin ako.. binibigatan ko yung tipong nahihirapan ako itaas.. kasi pag nag dedeadlift ako nawawala yung sakit na nararamdaman ko sa lower back.. nag iiba sya, di ko maexplain kung anong pakiramdam yun eh, pero "try ko" imbis na nangangawit na makirot, nagiging syang parang yung nararamdaman ko pag nag bebench ako, yung namamanhid konti na naninigas.. parang sa bicep barbel curl, parang sa ... basta yung nararamdaman ko sa ibang muscle pag binibigatan ko.. yun yung nararamdaman ko sa lower back..

at tuwing sa araw lang ng back work out nawawala yung ngalay w/ kirot ng lower back ko, nawawala din naman sya paminsan minsan basta wag lang pirmis na nakatayo or naka yuko or naka upo..

master allen pagaling ka!
    Problema ko talaga grip ko, mabilis ko namang na aangat yung 250lbs kaso after ng first rep eh lumuluwag na yung grip ko kaya di ko na maiangat for the 2nd rep.

Ok lang ba ang plano ko na baban ko muna ng 10-20lbs with higer rep tapos tsaka ulit mag subok ng 250lbs?