Xerophytes Journey

Current physique at 126lbs:

Macro breakdown:
Training day: Protein-180g, Carbs-205g, Fat-35g
Rest day: Protein-180g, Carbs - 0g, Fat-85g

This has been my macro over the past 3 weeks. Three weeks ago, I was on a vacation for 2 weeks and I was away from gym and no mealprep or diet control. Well, obviously, Christmas and New Year also was taken account. So much eating out, so much food, so much family gatherings. My appetite about two weeks ago was horrible, this is why I had to drop my macro to get back into some kind of normalcy.

Training right now:

Two in a row then 1 rest day. (Leg, back/biceps, chest/delts/triceps then repeat)

Training style: I am not really after lifting heavy and ego lifting. Altho, I would push myself, the weight control, muscle activation and tension for me is more important. Of course, form.

A little history of my progress.

2017 at 139lbs - peak of my clean bulking.

Jan 2016 at 140lbs - I look shit since I was just eating and eating and eating esp over Christmas/NY

Nov 2016 at 111lbs - 3 days before my physique competition

Open for discussion, questions and suggestions, but please no personal insult or back handed comments.

Comments

• How do you resize pictures? Uh. lol.

• t4g4yt4g4y Posts: 1,944

Galing! don't mind the picture sizes sir, sa akin nga malala pa dyan malalaki hahaha! Nice Physique sir! paturo hahaha

• @t4g4y said:
    Galing! don't mind the picture sizes sir, sa akin nga malala pa dyan malalaki hahaha! Nice Physique sir! paturo hahaha

Haha Thanks.

Just throw in your questions!

• So glad to finally found fat free sherbet. Wala kasi sa usual grocery stores.

Koko Krunch + Mango Sherbet + Pandesal + Apricot Jam + Whey Protein + Glutamine + Creatine

75g carbs
    0g fat
    30g protein

Postworkout mealsH34Wgwh.jpg
  • welcome to PPB site sir

@xerophytes said:
    So glad to finally found fat free sherbet. Wala kasi sa usual grocery stores.

Koko Krunch + Mango Sherbet + Pandesal + Apricot Jam + Whey Protein + Glutamine + Creatine

75g carbs
    0g fat
    30g protein

Postworkout meal

wow! saan makakabili ng fat free sherbet!!!! hehehehe

• @t4g4y said:

@xerophytes said:
    So glad to finally found fat free sherbet. Wala kasi sa usual grocery stores.

75g carbs
    0g fat
    30g protein

Postworkout meal

wow! saan makakabili ng fat free sherbet!!!! hehehehe

I got it from Big Scoop.

Unfortunately, they dont have nutritional facts but I just go with a standard Haagan Danz Mango Sorbet for the nutritional facts.

http://bigscoop.com.ph - madami silang flavor tho. I'm only interested in the carbs and of course to beat the heat. haha. So I am hoping that it is really fat free.

• My second meal for workout day.

Di10YJjh.jpg

Protein source: fish and chicken
    Carb source: white rice
    Fat source: avocado and coco oil

Do I eat brown rice? No. This is based on my personal experience and it didn't do well for my body. FYI: brown rice is NOT fat free. White rice is fat free.
  • I'll put a pic by end of the month. I have weekly photos of myself but I think it's a little excessive here.

you can do whatever you want, this is your own journal sir :P

• Upping my carbs now.

Time to push some growth.

+60g of carbs on training days.

Pre workout:

qoUBqWoh.jpg

Postworkout:

HlO2x5Ph.jpg

ano yang yellow na sa bowl paps?

• @t4g4y said:
    ano yang yellow na sa bowl paps?

Fat free Mango sherbet.

• anong height nyo po?

• Agent_stiffAgent_stiff Posts: 45
    edited January 2018

Hi, newbie here, I've been suffering from being a skinny fat all my life, and now i've decided to do something about it. But also i have some questions and i was wondering if you guys could help me a little bit to solve my problem.

So, here's the story: I am your typical skinny fat guy. I weighed like 154 lbs. 6 months ago I decided to stop this by myself, so i started doing excercise and dieting on my own for a while. At first i was getting good results, but then i ended up losing weight the wrong way thanks to low calorie diets and weirdo-bizzaro workouts (oh, my ignorance). I lost a lot of muscle and kept some fat (I look like sh*t)

Now i carry some fat (despite looking skinny in my shirts, I have fat rolls when I crouch or do something similar) and have little muscle.

Here's the question: should i make some muscle first even if i gain fat? should i lose fat first despite looking all bony? or should i just go to the gym and eat normal then see what happens?
    I've a done a little research but i still don't know which option is better for me, that's why i'm making this question. Let's see what you guys think.

My stats:
    Weight: 154 lbs
    Height: 5' 7"
    % bf I'm not sure, but i guess it's around 20%.

Weightlifting stats:
    Squats: 160lbs (5x5)
    DL: 231lbs (5x5)
    Bench: 132lbs (5x5)
    Rows: 115.5lbs (5x5)
    OH: 82.5lbs (5x5)

I'll really appreciate if you could give me any advice.

Also, if I do cut down my calories I feel weak and can't lift well.

My typical meal consist of:
    -White rice (1 cup for breakfast and 1 cup after workout)
    -Veggies (around 2 handfuls for lunch and 2 handfuls before workout, these are usually raw cucumber, carrots, capsicum, etc.)
    -Protein (just your usual serving of viand/ulam, chicken, fish, pork, beef)
    -Snacks (taken mid-afternoon, usually 1 apple, 3 oranges, or a pack of wheat crackers)
    - I don't take any supplements aside from vit.c, vit.e, and fish oil

Post edited by Agent_stiff on
  • @TryandTry101 said:
    anong height nyo po?

A short 5'2" haha.

Here's how I compare against others. We won our respective classes, this is the for overall, which I won.

• @Agent_stiff said:
    Hi, newbie here, I've been suffering from being a skinny fat all my life, and now i've decided to do something about it. But also i have some questions and i was wondering if you guys could help me a little bit to solve my problem.

So, here's the story: I am your typical skinny fat guy. I weighed like 154 lbs. 6 months ago I decided to stop this by myself, so i started doing excercise and dieting on my own for a while. At first i was getting good results, but then i ended up losing weight the wrong way thanks to low calorie diets and weirdo-bizzaro workouts (oh, my ignorance). I lost a lot of muscle and kept some fat (I look like sh*t)

Now i carry some fat (despite looking skinny in my shirts, I have fat rolls when I crouch or do something similar) and have little muscle.

Here's the question: should i make some muscle first even if i gain fat? should i lose fat first despite looking all bony? or should i just go to the gym and eat normal then see what happens?
    I've a done a little research but i still don't know which option is better for me, that's why i'm making this question. Let's see what you guys think.

My stats:
    Weight: 154 lbs
    Height: 5' 7"
    % bf I'm not sure, but i guess it's around 20%.

Weightlifting stats:
    Squats: 160lbs (5x5)
    DL: 231lbs (5x5)
    Bench: 132lbs (5x5)
    Rows: 115.5lbs (5x5)
    OH: 82.5lbs (5x5)

I'll really appreciate if you could give me any advice.

Also, if I do cut down my calories I feel weak and can't lift well.

My typical meal consist of:
    -White rice (1 cup for breakfast and 1 cup after workout)
    -Veggies (around 2 handfuls for lunch and 2 handfuls before workout, these are usually raw cucumber, carrots, capsicum, etc.)
    -Protein (just your usual serving of viand/ulam, chicken, fish, pork, beef)
    -Snacks (taken mid-afternoon, usually 1 apple, 3 oranges, or a pack of wheat crackers)
    - I don't take any supplements aside from vit.c, vit.e, and fish oil

I don't see the reason why you would lose weight and gain fat whilst on a diet and an exercise. If you started as skinny, and working out, I don't think you are getting less muscle density and more fat.

The question lies on how well is your diet (and structured it is), how was your recovery, how was your stress management and how's your energy level throughout the day. How much are you eating in a day is another question. Volume and frequency. How much energy you actually use up from this. I am not generally after weightlifting stats as personally I feel that they are useless unless I can see you working it with right form and targeting your intended muscle group.

Establishing a baseline is probably the best way to do this. Most likely you are eating way too much carbs and less protein. In my experience, most people undereat their protein, especially if you are doing bodybuilding. My height is 5'2" and I weighed on average 130lbs - and I eat 180g protein consistently. If you are about 150g, try shooting first 150g protein a day. Design your day in such a way that you put a carbs close around your workout (ie pre workout, postworkout and post-postworkout). I'm currently having pre-workout of 70g of carbs, 5g fat and 30g protein, postworkout of 100g carbs (fast digesting), 0g fat, 30g protein (whey), post-postworkout of 50g carbs, 0g fat and 40g protein).

My personal choice on whether to cut or bulk is if you cannot see your abs, cut down. It is far easy to gain fat when you are already fat. Cut down til you look aesthetically good. Then bulk up. There's no reason why you cannot do both anyway. If you have the right diet and right workout plan, you could be burning fat and putting on muscles.

Cutting down your calories should not make you feel weak. I know that well enough when I need to lift with 0g carbs in my system.

In my rest day, I have 0g carbs. All I eat is veggies, higher fat and protein. (As of the current)

edited January 2018

I am not really good at measuring and estimating how many grams in each servings. Perhaps, you can share some quick guides. Say, 100g of carbs is equivalent to 1 cup of white rice, 100g of protein is a serving of one chicken breast.

I think my TDEE is around 2,400. I workout 3 times a week doing stronglifts 5x5 program. I got stronger doing the program (progressing slowly by adding 1.25kg plates each workout session).

What do you suggest on how I proceed with cutting. Should I cut off carbs completely? do some extra cardio during rest days? continue with 5x5 program and take whey protein?

Sorry for asking too many questions.

• Here's my current diet.

This is my typical training day looks like. I didn't add my whey so protein should be +30g

qCLJkc7h.jpg
  • I am not really good at measuring and estimating how many grams in each servings. Perhaps, you can share some quick guides. Say, 100g of carbs is equivalent to 1 cup of white rice, 100g of protein is a serving of one chicken breast.

I think my TDEE is around 2,400. I workout 3 times a week doing stronglifts 5x5 program. I got stronger doing the program (progressing slowly by adding 1.25kg plates each workout session).

What do you suggest on how I proceed with cutting. Should I cut off carbs completely? do some extra cardio during rest days? continue with 5x5 program and take whey protein?

Sorry for asking too many questions.

The best way to estimate things is to use myfitnesspal which already have a list of products/food with macro in it.

Rice in theory should be weighed as dry weight, cooked then re-weigh to know how much you have in there. Typically 45g of dry weight rice is one serving, which is 36g of carbs. Now, if you live alone, and OCD like I was, I would weigh my 45g of dry weight rice, cook it then say if it comes out to 100g of cooked rice... I would divide 100 with 45, that's 2.2... then if say I only need 25g of carbs, then that would be... about 0.7 servings, then I would 0.7 x 2.2 x 45 = 69.3g out of 100g. Of course if you are eating one servings, then just eat the whole thing ????. The weight varies but now since I dont cook my own rice and sharing rice with family, I just make it simple and would estimate to 2. So serving size x 2 x 45g.

In my experience, chicken breasts have more fat. If you want to get rid of fat as much as you can, go with chicken tenders. Use myfitnesspal to get the estimate for chicken tenders. But as you can see in my post, 2oz is 11g of protein. What I am annoyed here in Philippines is most people don't put nutritional facts in the products. But generally speaking that is the easiest way to get the macros.

Add in 3x a week of steady state cardio (about 15mins), either after workout or some other time. For the whole shebang of diet, I can only advise you that much since I would need to work closely with you to get you a detailed plan and direct you things but that would cost me time and I would charge for that. ????
  • Thank you for sharing, it is very insightful. I'll try to follow your advices.

I will try to post pictures soon.

edited January 2018

@Agent_stiff said:
    Thank you for sharing, it is very insightful. I'll try to follow your advices.

I will try to post pictures soon.

sir @Agent_stiff Please create your own Personal Journal. This is sir @xerophytes Personal Journal.
    Welcome to PBB. Kindly click the link below to start your personal journal. You can post everything in your journal like your before and after pix, food and training logs etc. thanks and happy lifting

http://pinoybodybuilding.com/post/discussion/training-journals

Post edited by t4g4y on
    edited January 2018

I will be creating my own Journal. Like I said, I will post soon.

• Rest day macros

*all meals got 150g to 200g of veggies

• Add in carbs more now.

Optimizing lifts too with good form and proper execution.

JEihBcSh.jpg

1. Post gym assessment so I'm about 4 lbs heavier, quite typical for me since I do drink a lot and have food in my body.

2. Interesting how my right arm is 0.14lbs heavier than my left. But my legs are very much the same.

3. I was 111 lbs in my leanest - Nov 2016. This tells me that I have 109 lean mass. Doubtful that I have 0% body fat that time, so I'm quite glad that I actually gain some lean mass.

4. 15% BF aint bad. Hopefully I can keep it that way.

• Lots of eating out and mini-vacations. LOL.

Will update soon.

• Current macro:
    Training: Protein - 180g, Carbs - 310g, Fat - 35g
    Rest: Protein - 180g, Carbs - 0g, Fat - 85g

• Today:

Overhead DB Press - 15kg, 20kg, 22.5kg, 25kg. Here's the video on how I correctly and incorrectly did my press -

In my first week I pushed to 27.5kg, poor form. Corrected a week ago. Came back stronger now. Reps last week were: 8, 8, 6, 6 with max pushing at 22.5kg as shown in video. Today, I did 10, 10, 8 and 8 reps with two of the reps at the last set with some spot help.

Chest dip - 4 x Max reps. I'm really bad with dips. In any case, I was just able to pull a max of 11 reps. Here's a clip of how I do my chest dip -

Notice the stretch at the bottom and the contraction at the top.

Incline cable fly - 3 sets. 15 reps of 35lbs, then 15 reps of 40lbs, then 12 reps of 50lbs. Tension held well on the chest. Every rep - isohold of 10 seconds.

SUPERSET: 4 sets
    Cable crossover Tricep Pressdown - 10 reps, 10 reps, 10reps, 8 reps. (30, 30, 35, 40lbs)
    45 degree Prone DB Kickbacks - 12 reps, 12 reps, 12reps, 12 reps, (5kg then last set 7.5kg)
    Overhead Extension with 2DBs - 20 reps, 20 reps, 20 reps, 15 reps. (5kg - 2DBs)

45-60 seconds rest in between.

Chest dips is one of my favorites during chest day. Maybe you dont do it very often papi?