Protein FYI

t4g4yt4g4y Posts: 1,944
edited January 2017 in Diet & Nutrition

Type(s) of Protein

The types of protein used in protein powders can be divided into two categories: animal source proteins and vegetable source proteins. Animal source proteins include milk protein derivatives like whey and casein, beef and egg white protein. Vegetable source proteins include soy, rice, pea, hemp and sprouted grain proteins.

Nutritionally and taste-wise, animal proteins are superior to vegetable proteins and far more popular. Of the animal protein types, the most popular is whey protein. Of the vegetable protein types, soy, rice and pea protein are the most popular. Most people using vegetable protein powders do so as part of a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle, although many people use soy protein primarily for its heart-health and/or hormone-balancing benefits.

Whey Protein

Whey protein is derived from milk. The protein portion of whole milk consists of 20% whey protein and 80% casein protein. Whey is by far the most popular type of protein used in protein powders. For most people, it’s the best all-around choice in terms of taste (it’s one of the best-tasting), quality (it’s the highest) and cost (it’s the most economical). Another unique benefit of whey protein, and one that is often overlooked, is that it enhances the immune system in several ways.

**Whey protein ** comes in two varieties, whey concentrate and whey isolate. The advantages of each are:

• Whey Concentrate: Whey concentrate is more economical per gram of protein. It has a low lactose level that is well tolerated by most lactose-sensitive people. It has trivial amounts of fat and carbs relative to your overall nutrient intake. Whey concentrate is typically the best-selling category of whey.

• Whey Isolate: Whey isolate is virtually fat-free for those wishing to eliminate as much fat from their diet as possible. It is typically lactose free for those few individuals who are very sensitive to the low-lactose levels found in whey concentrate. Whey isolate tends to taste slightly better than whey concentrate too, yet its consistency is a little thinner, without the fat.

Whey protein products can be made from whey concentrate, whey isolate or a blend of both. Other types of protein are sometimes combined with whey proteins in products and are known as protein blends.

Post edited by t4g4y on

Comments

• pandoypandoy Posts: 596

nice read sir. :)

• t4g4yt4g4y Posts: 1,944

hahaha para may babasahin din dito sir. Hanap pa ako mga magandang topic hehe. Ikaw din sir hanap ka

• @t4g4y said:
    hahaha para may babasahin din dito sir. Hanap pa ako mga magandang topic hehe. Ikaw din sir hanap ka

ill give my 2bit opinion paps, youre talking bout quality, ill share my experience about quantity...galing ako sa old school notion that more is better, like 1g to 2g per pound of body weight, from my experience, eating more than a gram per bodyweight if youre natural is too much, the difference between natural and enhanced individuals are protein synthesis, kung youre natural, you wont take advatage of the extra protein...di na coconvent to nitrogen....i learn that when doing keto, pag mataas ang protein intake ko like 1.5g to 2g per pound of bodyweight...i craved sugar and carbs, which was wrong, when youre fat adapted, dapat di kana naghahanap ng sugar...after doing research, their is such a thing as gluconeogenesis, it converts extra protein to glucose or carbs. what i did was, reduced my protein to .6 to .08..so around 150g -160g...my fat intake was increased, pero ang hirap kumain, imagine, 2200 cal in a 4 hour window...