This is the best accurate way to lose weight! Period.

Flexible dieting or IIFYM (If it fits your macros)

I've tried a lot of diets and crash diets name it all, i might have tried it or a variation of it.

But flexible dieting is the only one that made a lot of sense to me. Most sustainable too because it does not tell you to avoid the usual foods that you are eating, it just teaches you the macros of your food and how to control your portions. That is why when you get into flexible dieting, you dont see food as clean, or fatty, or sweet, or vegetarian, healthy or whatever. Whenever you see food you ctend to clasify them as fat, protein, carbs. This is when you will realize why your body never developed the way you wanted it to be because you of factors like: youve been eating waaaaay to much carbs or fats in a day or you were never consuming enough protein which are essential in building muscle. bodybuilders will find out how much protein they really need while individuals trying to lose weight will realize how much damage those starbucks frappuccinos have been doing to their bodies. 

there are a few things i did to really nail down my goals.
1) Buy a digital food weighing scale - if you have never bought one of these you will NEVER understand flexible dieting or wont be able to accurately track your macros and understand how much fat carbs and protein is in your food.

2) Download MY FITNESS PAL APP - this is the fun part. this is where you log all your food items and track your progress.  it seems too damn confusing at first but once you see that all your chippy, jollibee, mcdo, starbucks drinks, ligo sardines, quaker oats, purefoods corned beef and almost all pinoy local grocery items all there already you will not stop using it.  all you need to do is scan the barcode of your food and be familiar with serving sizes and you are good to go.

3) Read https://healthyeater.com/flexible-dieting

4) watch youtube videos about tracking macros using myfitnesspal app.

well, goodluck everyone. whether you are bulking, or trying to slim down tracking macros is a must!

Comments

• nrg500nrg500 Posts: 1,233
    jbadd17 wrote:

McGrilled Chicken Burger:

25g Protein
    33g Carbohydrate
    15g Fat

OR

Brown Rice and Tuna

25g Protein
    33g Carbohydrate
    15g Fat

Both are the same macros and so both will achieve the same results in your body composition.

How about health ? Do you think they will have the same effect ?

Calories and macros aren't the only things you should consider in your diet
  • nrg500 wrote:
    jbadd17 wrote:

25g Protein
    33g Carbohydrate
    15g Fat

OR

Brown Rice and Tuna

25g Protein
    33g Carbohydrate
    15g Fat

Both are the same macros and so both will achieve the same results in your body composition.

I'll go with Mcgrilled chicken burger when i want to take a break. Tuna and brown rice when I'm seriously dieting. I'm an advocate of flexible dieting BUT i wouldn't take it to the extremes (disregarding health over physique). Also, I am certain that most of these IIFYM/flexible dieters with impressive physiques have ATLEAST tried dieting old-schoolish at any point of there journey. Except siguro dun sa mga genetic freak ectomorphs na hindi talaga tumataas sa 10% ang BF. Kung genetically mabilis ka maggain ng fat like me, good luck with those McD's on a daily basis hahaha. The only way I can get away with some shit on my diet is because i train sooo much.
  • aloy0511aloy0511 Posts: 948
    I remembered some IIFYM fantard told me carbs is carbs, protein is protein, fat is fat and fiber is fiber. and i just burst out laughing.

Fiber is Carbs.
    And not all carbs are same, applies also in proteins and fat.
    Do some research first before preaching something.

Remember collagen (gelatin) is a protein. So kung protein is protein, kain na lang ako ng chicharon araw araw para maging jacked. cause 20g of chicharon is equal to 20 to 30 grams of protein.
  • pmdbpmdb Posts: 34
    Fiber is Carbs?
    20g of Chicharon is 20-30g of protein?
    Bro, WHAT? Don't know is srs or not. What in the world are you talking about?
    pmdb wrote:
    Fiber is Carbs?
    20g of Chicharon is 20-30g of protein?
    Bro, WHAT? Don't know is srs o not. What in the world are you talking about?

Yes Fiber is a Carb.
    and yes, 20g of Chicharon is 20-30g of protein? collagen protein. to be exact it is a collagen (gelatin). 

QUOTED IN WIKIPEDIA
    Fiber is a carb : 

Originally, fiber was defined to be the components of plants that resist human digestive enzymes, a definition that includes lignin and polysaccharides. The definition was later changed to also include resistant starch, along with inulin and other oligosaccharides.[size=x-small][3] [/size]

Chicharon is protein:

Although gelatin is 98–99% protein by dry weight, it has less nutritional value than many other complete protein sources. Gelatin is unusually high in the non-essential amino acids glycine and proline (i.e., those produced by the human body), while lacking certain essential amino acids (i.e., those not produced by the human body). It contains no tryptophan and is deficient in isoleucinethreonine, and methionine.

Here is a picture of a Chicharon product by Oishi.

UNzJuM6l.jpg

And yes i studied Nutrition in College. I know what im talking about.
    20g of Chicharon has 20-30g of Protein? Gram for gram, Chicharon is pure protein? And 20g of Chicharon may contain 21g of protein or more? How is that even possible.
    lol. did you read the post. Chicharon is made from animal skin which is composed of a protein called Gelatin.

Although gelatin is 98–99% protein by dry weight, it has less nutritional value than many other complete protein sources. Gelatin is unusually high in the non-essential amino acids glycine and proline (i.e., those produced by the human body), while lacking certain essential amino acids (i.e., those not produced by the human body). It contains no tryptophan and is deficient in isoleucine, threonine, and methionine.

I hope i wont be banned posting the same quote twice.
    Still doesn't answer the question. Saying "20" grams of chicharon may contain more protein than it's actual weight is like saying 20g of sugar may contain 21 or more grams of carbs.
    gram for gram? that would be impossible bro. thats why 20 to 30 is the range. it depends. a chicharon would be heavy if its deep fried for a longer time cause it would absorb the cooking oil.

and no i didn't say that chicharon is PURE protein? where the hell did you read that?
    Your post said 20g of chicharon. Then you talk about it having 20-30g of protein. That's the thing I can't wrap my head around. How can something that weighs 20g have a nutritional content higher than the actual food itself.
    yes brother 20grams of chicharon can have 20g to 30grams of protein. if 20grams of chicharon is cooked in a longer time hydrogenated and processed, it would be heavier because it would contain hydrogen atoms and probably absorb more oil because of the cooking time so the product is heavier but it would contain less protein (useless protein) but when it's cooked to a environment where it could reach the highest possible grams of protein it could reach, it would and would possibly contain not just only 30g of protein but also higher. but it would still be a useless protein since not a single EAA is inside that protein.

Got it bro?
    Well shit, I was talking about muscle building types of c's and p's. Not the useless ones. Except fiber of course.
    lol, well do the labels in the nutrition facts of your foods says "Muscle building protein" or not? this is my point here. IIFYM promotes stupidity. People didn't even took the time to research what carbohydrates are optimal to use or what proteins builds muscle. As long as they hit their macros. That's the reason i burst out laughing my ass off when someone told me CARBS is CARBS,PROTEIN is PROTEIN, FAT is FAT, and here the funnies part FIBER is FIBER (ROTFLMAO)

i remember arnold schwarzenegger eating steak most of the time instead of chicken. cause beef aminos has the same composition in our muscles, unlike chicken.
    I guess I forgot to mention the types of carbs and proteins I was talking about. Haha. Imo, IIFYM is an excuse to not eat clean. I'd rather be eating bland chicken breast than anything instant, fastfood, processed or all the above.

I'd love to eat steak but they're just too damn expensive, bro. Chicken breast all day. haha
    yea, and its rare to see a lean steak in philippines. most steak contains large amount of fats. unlike in us they have lean beef etc. etc.
    Exactly. Nothing to do but make sht work. Cheers.
  • jbadd17jbadd17 Posts: 29
    nrg500 wrote:
    jbadd17 wrote:

25g Protein
       33g Carbohydrate
       15g Fat

OR

Brown Rice and Tuna

25g Protein
       33g Carbohydrate
       15g Fat

i understand bro. micronutrients are equally as important. i am more concerned with the sustainability of flexible dieting as opposed to super clean eating like the usual bro diet kamote, chicken, veggies etc etc. of course we all know mas healthy yun but what im trying to say is we also know where a lot of people fail at and that is sustainability. some people can do super clean eating. some people cant. but it doesnt mean people who cant eat 100% clean and healthy have no chance at losing weight. it all goes down to calories in vs. calories out. having a deficit we all agree on that. flexible dieting is an effective and sustainable means of losing weight. i know it is never gonna be the healthiest.
    aloy0511 wrote:
    I remembered some IIFYM fantard told me carbs is carbs, protein is protein, fat is fat and fiber is fiber. and i just burst out laughing.

Fiber is Carbs.
    And not all carbs are same, applies also in proteins and fat.
    Do some research first before preaching something.

Remember collagen (gelatin) is a protein. So kung protein is protein, kain na lang ako ng chicharon araw araw para maging jacked. cause 20g of chicharon is equal to 20 to 30 grams of protein.

we all agree bro that to lose weight there has to be caloric deficit thru either additional energy output and/or lesser caloric intake. you have to make sense into your reply just to slam what im saying here. of course by iifym everyone who did it right didnt do 100 percent of carbs from fiber that really is stupid. you cant also start doing iifym without any basic knowledge about carbs, fiber, and fats. iifym simply allows you to eat some dirty food but never to get your entire carbs from candies and ice cream. that is stupid. you can eat a serving of ice cream, know how much it will affect your body, and realize your had enough dirty to eat better carbs like rice kamote and veggies.  

no stupid person wanting to lose weight would want to get his entire protein sources from chicharon thats just stupid. pilosopo lang nagiisip ng ganyan. weight loss and calorie deficit is the goal here and not to get super jacked.  

the basic thing that people get from iifym is to sustain the deficit and most importantly, quantifying it. it basically teaches you to learn macros. majority of people make struggling to lose weight dont know how many calories is a cup of rice or a serving of chicken is. worse they dont know how much carbs and fats are in the salad they think is healthy because they pour in mayo and all kinds of sauces on it.  before iifym i didnt know i needed more chicken breasts, tuna and how much of it i needed. i realized that carbs is not the culprit, it is my friend. that fats are needed to regulate hormones much needed in losing weight and building muscle.  iifym also doesnt drive people crazy like a lot of serious AND KNOWLEDGABLE bodybuilders do when eating extreme clean food chicken rice kamote and brocolli lang. only a few can do that.  siguro ikaw kaya mo yan kaya super jacked ka..
    aloy0511 wrote:
    lol, well do the labels in the nutrition facts of your foods says "Muscle building protein" or not? this is my point here. IIFYM promotes stupidity. People didn't even took the time to research what carbohydrates are optimal to use or what proteins builds muscle. As long as they hit their macros. That's the reason i burst out laughing my ass off when someone told me CARBS is CARBS,PROTEIN is PROTEIN, FAT is FAT, and here the funnies part FIBER is FIBER (ROTFLMAO)

i remember arnold schwarzenegger eating steak most of the time instead of chicken. cause beef aminos has the same composition in our muscles, unlike chicken.

we are talking about losing weight here not becoming arnold. calories in vs. calories out im sure you are super aware of that cause you already sound like a genius to me. 

you are right that not all fats carbs and protien are the same. but calorie is still calorie you cant argue with that too! which is an equally important matter here for weight loss.

so basically if a person researched all the friggin healthiest optimal carbs and muscle building beef aminos that you are talking about and went yolo on them everyday kasi nresearch na nya kasi best for muscle daw and healthy, but still doesnt quantify, he will NEVER, lose weight if he doesnt have a caloric deficit. agree? 

on the flipside. granting that chicharon is UNHEALTHY, i will still lose weight if i ate nothing but a pack of chicharon a day kahit di na ako mag gym. i know you will agree on that. 

so will it make you lose weight? yes.
    is it healthy? of course not.
    is it stupid? yes i agree with you it is stupid.
    does iifym promote it?! hell no.
    will i advice it? never. 
    kalma lang bro.
    jbadd17 wrote:
    nrg500 wrote:
    jbadd17 wrote:

25g Protein
    33g Carbohydrate
    15g Fat

OR

Brown Rice and Tuna

25g Protein
    33g Carbohydrate
    15g Fat

i understand bro. micronutrients are equally as important. i am more concerned with the sustainability of flexible dieting as opposed to super clean eating like the usual bro diet kamote, chicken, veggies etc etc. of course we all know mas healthy yun but what im trying to say is we also know where a lot of people fail at and that is sustainability. some people can do super clean eating. some people cant. but it doesnt mean people who cant eat 100% clean and healthy have no chance at losing weight. it all goes down to calories in vs. calories out. having a deficit we all agree on that. flexible dieting is an effective and sustainable means of losing weight. i know it is never gonna be the healthiest.

First, how do we define "clean eating" ?

http://jcdfitness.com/2010/09/clean-eating/
    The first thing I want to ask is this: what exactly does clean eating mean?

Most everyone will have somewhat of a different answer to the question. And every answer all boils down to some kind of belief system they’ve created – how they view certain foods. One person, perhaps a Paleo dieter, might actually say that fresh orange juice is off limits because it has too much sugar. However, they might feel a piece of fruit is okay, even though the amount of fructose and sucrose is very similar when comparing the fruit and the OJ.

Another example is someone who labels whole grain foods clean and foods like white bread dirty or off limits. While the whole grains may have a bit more nutrients or fiber, the impact is minimal and hardly an issue as long as your diet isn’t completely out of whack.

And then we have the group of people who label all foods with any kind of preservatives of chemicals in them as completely off limits only until they get a craving for something or decide to compromise and have that bag of Oreo’s anyway.

For me, "clean eating" is eating only the foods provided by nature. What I mean is, for example, the meat you will be eating comes from an animal that was never injected with anti-biotics and hormones and was fed with what they are supposed to in their natural environment. The vegetables / fruits that you will eat have not been treated with toxic pesticides.

Is that it an enjoyable diet ? Yes

Is it viable and sustainable ? Yes, for very rich people only.

Why ?

To eat meat that comes from an animal that was never injected with anti-biotics and hormones and was fed with what they are supposed to in their natural environment, you need to put up your own animal farm to make sure that they really clean.

To eat vegetables / fruits that have not been treated with toxic pesticides, you need to grow your own to make sure that they really clean.

Yes, there are sellers of organic food here in the Philippines but how do we really know they are honest in their marketing ? Better do it your self.

What we can do is to just minimize the "poison" in our diet. This can be accomplished by anyone just by minimizing or eliminating processed in their diet. I agree that not eating any cheat meal for very long periods of time is not sustainable in the long run
    nrg500 wrote:
    jbadd17 wrote:
    nrg500 wrote:
    jbadd17 wrote:

25g Protein
       33g Carbohydrate
       15g Fat

OR

Brown Rice and Tuna

25g Protein
       33g Carbohydrate
       15g Fat

First, how do we define "clean eating" ?

http://jcdfitness.com/2010/09/clean-eating/
    The first thing I want to ask is this: what exactly does clean eating mean?

Most everyone will have somewhat of a different answer to the question. And every answer all boils down to some kind of belief system they’ve created – how they view certain foods. One person, perhaps a Paleo dieter, might actually say that fresh orange juice is off limits because it has too much sugar. However, they might feel a piece of fruit is okay, even though the amount of fructose and sucrose is very similar when comparing the fruit and the OJ.

Another example is someone who labels whole grain foods clean and foods like white bread dirty or off limits.  While the whole grains may have a bit more nutrients or fiber, the impact is minimal and hardly an issue as long as your diet isn’t completely out of whack.

And then we have the group of people who label all foods with any kind of preservatives of chemicals in them as completely off limits only until they get a craving for something or decide to compromise and have that bag of Oreo’s anyway.

For me, "clean eating" is eating only the foods provided by nature. What I mean is, for example, the meat you will be eating comes from an animal that was never injected with anti-biotics and hormones and was fed with what they are supposed to in their natural environment. The vegetables / fruits that you will eat have not been treated with toxic pesticides.

Is that it an enjoyable diet ? Yes

Is it viable and sustainable ? Yes, for very rich people only.

Why ?

To eat meat that comes from an animal that was never injected with anti-biotics and hormones and was fed with what they are supposed to in their natural environment, you need to put up your own animal farm to make sure that they really clean.

To eat vegetables / fruits that have not been treated with toxic pesticides, you need to grow your own to make sure that they really clean.

Yes, there are sellers of organic food here in the Philippines but how do we really know they are honest in their marketing ? Better do it your self.

What we can do is to just minimize the "poison" in our diet. This can be accomplished by anyone just by minimizing or eliminating processed in their diet. I agree that not eating any cheat meal for very long periods of time is not sustainable in the long run

i am not arguing about clean vs. dirty or good carbs vs. bad carbs, or chicken vs. amino filled beef steak... flexible dieting is really about:

1) knowing how much calories you might need in order to lose or gain weight. 
    2) out of those calories how much are from carb, protein, or fat sources? 
    3) knowing said macros, how much do you need to optimally reach your goal?
    4) in time, be able to adjust macros according to your progress or body composition reaction.
    5) be able to allow flexibility which is key to long term success.  

a person eating rice, chicken, and veggies with a proper system of measuring his portions and a rather fixed goal of macros tailored to his goals is going to have better results over a guy who eats exactly the same food without tracking anything just randomly eating portions.
    pmdb wrote:
    I guess I forgot to mention the types of carbs and proteins I was talking about. Haha. Imo, IIFYM is an excuse to not eat clean. I'd rather be eating bland chicken breast than anything instant, fastfood, processed or all the above.

I'd love to eat steak but they're just too damn expensive, bro. Chicken breast all day. haha

iifym does not promote eating dirty. chicken breast all you want that's fine be my guest. 

but iifym even helps your factor in protein from your brocolli, rice, or a glass of milk. you are getting a more accurate idea of the protein you are taking in if that is what you want. there is nothing wrong with that.  

if you make iifym an excuse to not eat clean then you are setting up yourself for failure and defeat the purpose of iifym. why? because "not clean" food that you might be referring to are usually less filling but dense with calories, meaning, you consume a lot of calories for a small amount of food which makes you hungry and eat more therefore going beyond your caloric requirements.. 

everyone who did iifym correctly allow themselves to eat dirty, but not go all the way because flexible dieters are more aware of the effect of one slice of cake compared to a bowl of spinach. believe me, flexible dieters are are more appreciative of veggies and chicken breast because they know how they can stuff their tummies in a healthier way and not run out of their calories right away.
    i am more concerned with the sustainability of flexible dieting as opposed to super clean eating
    i am not arguing about clean vs. dirty

You mentioned clean eating so I asked what is clean eating... There is no industry definition or medical definition of clean eating or clean food

iifym does not promote eating dirty.

It doesn't promote eating healthy, too. It even uses an example showing that a processed food and a whole food have the same effect on our body and the body can't distinguish the difference

25g Protein
    33g Carbohydrate
    15g Fat

OR

Brown Rice and Tuna

25g Protein
    33g Carbohydrate
    15g Fat

When food enters your stomach your body isn’t thinking “Healthy or unhealthy?” it is simply breaking down the food and processing the macronutrients.

IIFYM only cares about macros, not the quality of food. That is why it is called "If It Fits Your Macros"

I - f
    I - t
    F - its
    Y - our
    M - acros

The condition is if it fits your macros. Eat anything, regardless of quality, as long as It Fits Your Macros

For me, IIFYM is only a tool, not a diet or style of eating. A tool you can use in special occasions or circumstances like Christmas dinner with familiy or Christmas party at the work place. The problem with most people, especially newbies, is they abuse it by eating crap most of the time
    "IIFYM" people, calm your tits.
  • badass_vinchbadass_vinch Posts: 4,471
    Finally! I like this thread... keep it coming! :)
    lol. you literally didnt get the point.

Counting macros is really relevant but the point is, not all PROTEIN builds muscle. so if youll just stick on counting Protein regardless of the source then the possibility of not hitting a right nutrition is pretty high.

This is bodybuilding, muscle building is our target, and to build muscles you need to get the right amount of protein.
    Protein from chicken, chicken egg, beef, milk are the perfect source of muscle building protein.

The reason kung bakit mahal ang mga EAA (Essential Amino Acids) vs NEAA (Non-Essential Amino Acids)

eh kahit 500grams pa ng non-essential amino acids laklakin mo araw araw mababa ang probability na makabuo ka ng muscle.
    kontra sa
    150-200grams ng EAA

Got the point bro??

and PS
    if you just want to lose weight and look like a skinny dude that doesnt even lift then yea UNWISE deficits are really for you.

I've tried a lot of diets and crash diets name it all, i might have tried it or a variation of it.

But flexible dieting is the only one that made a lot of sense to me. Most sustainable too because it does not tell you to avoid the usual foods that you are eating, it just teaches you the macros of your food and how to control your portions.

Noticed that part of the post just now

What if the usual foods you are eating are heavily-processed foods and/or junk foods ? What if your usual foods don't include vegetables ?

Also, your body hormones will always win over your will. For example, if your diet doesn't have vegetables and you get your protein usually in liquid form, it would be very hard to control eating. Even if you are good at counting, you would still fail
    @OP

i just want to make my reply clear. the problem about IIFYM fanatics is that they don't care if the protein is a muscle building protein or just a "non-essential waste of macro non-musclebuilding protein"

it looks like you've been using IIFYM for a while and you must have already known your base Protein (maintenance).

ill make an example
    so lets say my maintenance protein is 150grams and i always consume chicken, beef, eggs and fish, and that is what i need to sustain muscle (maintenance).
    then i suddenly change my style of eating to IIFYM, same macros 150grams (from ice cream, traces of protein in junk foods, chips, gelatin etc. etc).

Theres a big difference there MACRONUTRIENTS wise, (lets disregard micros for now, COZ IIFYM DAWG)

Youll ask why?

Protein from clean eating will build muscle cause youre sure that it's from a quality Essential Amino Acids, an rough estimate of maybe 80-95%

while

Protein you consumed from junk; lets say for example that only 50% of that is EAA (just a rough estimate) and 50% is NEAA.
    So you'll start loosing muscle since you'll only have 75grams of protein sustaining your muscle mass (this is maybe why most of IIFYM loose weight)
    HERE'S WHERE THE MAGIC OF SCIENCE BEGINS
    Then youll start on putting on more fat because the other 75grams of protein, which is Non-Essential will be stored as gylcogen, since it can't be use to build muscle.
    But since your carb is on point, the extra glycogen from the 75g of worthless shit protein you got from IIFYM will turn into fat.

that's what im trying to point out. LABELS in FOOD doesn't categorize proteins in EAA, BCAA, NEAA. unlike in eating Meat for protein sources.

Yea you can eat ice cream if you want for your carbs, you can eat chips for your carbs, for starters. but since our target here is bodybuilding atleast make sure your hitting the RIGHT PROTEIN for your self.

if you really want to do IIFYM then the best way here is, dont count the protein traces you'll get from junk foods, cause most of the time it wont help you build muscle.
  • badass_vinchbadass_vinch Posts: 4,471
    jbadd17 wrote:

Bro gano katagal mo ginagawa ang isang klase ng diet?