Machines worth using

We all heard that machine training is inferior to training with free weights (barbells and dumbbells).

The problem with this statement is that it makes us choose one over the other. As if it is cheating to utilize both for efficiency.

Although, I don’t disagree that if you had to pick one or the other, free weights are the better option as it gives more benefits, but that is not the topic in this thread... so let's get on the subject.

Let us share ideas on what machines are actually worth using and how do you incorporate in your program to gain advantage.

Comments

• jomskijomski Posts: 163
    Lat Pull Down <--- Habang weak-ass pa sa pull up/chin up or pang warm up set for your chin up / pull up.
  • AestecniquesAestecniques Posts: 487
    jomski wrote:
    Lat Pull Down <--- Habang weak-ass pa sa pull up/chin up or pang warm up set for your chin up / pull up.

At wala pang pambili ng belt for weighted pull up/chin up. Nice share bro.
  • nrg500nrg500 Posts: 1,233
    1. Lateral Pull Down

- Can be used to help develop your strength for pull ups. In addition, you can also do one-arm lateral pull downs to develop your strength for one-arm pull ups

2. Cable-based Machines

- Tricep extensions using cable are superior to tricep dumbbell extensions (explanation is based on basic physics, just search Google)
    - Bicep cable curls are superior to bicep dumbbell / barbell curls (explanation is based on basic physics, just search Google)
    - Seated rows place more heavy load on upper back while reducing lower back stress
    - Seated Cable Chest Press can be used as an alternative. Barbell bench press is not mandatory unless you are a powerlifter

3. Leg Press / Hack Squat

- Can be used to assist your quad development
  • AestecniquesAestecniques Posts: 487
    https://www.lifefitness.com/facility/products/hammer-strength-plate-loaded#Gallery

If I had to choose a manufacturer of Machines that can help beginners like me do some overloads even alone..Hammer Strength Plate loaded line is really well designed, but ofcourse not all. Some are awkward, specially to short guys like me.
  • asggeloasggelo Posts: 76
    No machine training is not really inferior. Example nalang ung lat machine. It's very benificial for fat guys like me who can even do a single pull up to exercise my back muscles. It serves it purpose. It can utilize the same muscle groups and accessory muscles. You just have to execute the exercise in the correct form. Free weights have disadvantages too due to the higher risk of injury that may occur if done improperly.
  • asggelo wrote:
    No machine training is not really inferior. Example nalang ung lat machine. It's very benificial for fat guys like me who can even do a single pull up to exercise my back muscles. It serves it purpose. It can utilize the same muscle groups and accessory muscles. You just have to execute the exercise in the correct form. Free weights have disadvantages too due to the higher risk of injury that may occur if done improperly.

That is right...people tends to be too dogmatic about it. Even for professional levels, some machines are utilized for efficiency and to avoid injury. Although this post is not to compare free weights and machines, this is to collate all machines that are worth using.
  • asggeloasggelo Posts: 76
    We once used the squat machine encorporated with plyometrics to enchance the jumping power of our athletes when i was an intern. Nagtatalon sila which is kind of hard when using free weights.
  • asggelo wrote:
    We once used the squat machine encorporated with plyometrics to enchance the jumping power of our athletes when i was an intern. Nagtatalon sila which is kind of hard when using free weights.

Pang athlete na training, ayos yun ah. Tama delikado nga if free weights. Yun pa pala isang magandang application ng machine.