GYM ETIQUETTE

[align=center]GYM ETIQUETTE[/align] :cool:
[size=small][align=center]from http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding_900/945_gym-rules.html[/align][/size]

What You Need To Know
You need to follow some basic rules when you're working out in public.
The number one rule: Do weights first, then cardio, then leave.
A little grunting is OK, but it shouldn't sound like you’re the Octomom in the delivery room.
"If this had been a cartoon, then stink lines would have been coming off his body."
I smelled him before I saw him.

Actually, he smelled so bad I could almost taste the stench he was giving off. If reading this comment disgusts you, then imagine how I felt. My gym is a large and busy affair, so locating the offender was no easy task. I don't know why I had to figure out who it was that smelled so bad he could knock a buzzard off a gut pile, but it is just part of my nature to want to put a face to someone who repulses me so.

I was instantly able to disregard half the occupants of the gym as the guilty party because no woman could ever smell like this. I saw one guy who looked rather sweaty using a hamstring curl machine and walked past, only to realize it wasn't him. Then I heard the offender; it sounded like he was giving birth to a Volkswagen. Making so much noise was his second strike.

He was using the lat pulldown machine. If this had been a cartoon, then stink lines would have been coming off his body. But since it was real life, I sauntered by and got my confirmation. The guy in the skimpy blue tank top was definitely the fragrant transgressor. Tank top? Hmm. Not really a strike, but certainly tacky.

The guy was bigger than me, but I thought his technique sucked. Crappy lifting technique isn't a strike in the rules of gym etiquette, but screaming like someone is circumcising you with an epileptic wolverine on every rep is just plain annoying. I almost felt tempted to commit a gym etiquette no-no myself and offer unsolicited advice on his abysmal lifting practices. Lat pulldowns are best done with the upper body remaining stationary, not rocking back and forth like a guy in a padded cell wearing a huggy jacket.

Then he got up and walked away from the machine without wiping it down. I looked at the ectoplasmic residue left behind with contempt, reminded of a scene from Ghostbusters. Strike three, buddy. You just failed Gym Etiquette 101.

Actually, the way this guy smelled was worth three strikes all on its own. I can handle a lot of ignorance in terms of proper gym-going behavior, but stinking up the joint is hard to tolerate. I wanted to go up and give him the business, but I'm too Canadian for that, or too chicken -- one of those two.

Enough about him, let's talk about you.

If you want me (and other gym-goers) not to hate you, then here are some basic rules you need to follow:

1. Above all else, please don't smell bad. I understand that we’re there to work out, and a normal amount of BO is to be expected, but I shouldn’t be able to smell you from 20 feet away. Shower regularly. Use deodorant. Do weights first, then cardio, then leave. Just because you're a gym rat doesn't mean you should smell like a drowned rat. If this doesn’t work and you’re still making people gag, then you have a medical condition. See a doctor.

2. To the above point, change your workout clothes regularly. People notice when you wear the same shirt to the gym every day, and it makes them dislike you.

3. Clean up after yourself. The towels and sprayers are there for a reason. Unless I’m married to you, I don’t want to be swimming in your goo.

4. Share. If someone asks to work on a piece of weightlifting equipment, then let them. On that note, don't hog aerobic equipment either. If you can last two hours on a treadmill, then maybe you should just be running outside.

5. A little grunting is OK, but it shouldn't sound like you’re the Octomom in the delivery room.

6. Return it from where you got it. Really, when you’re in a crowded gym and you abandon one of the limited bench presses or squat racks with plates still on the bar, no one knows if someone is still using it. This is what we in the fitness business call a “dick move.” If I catch you doing this at my gym, I will personally tell every woman present that I witnessed you not wash your hands after using the bathroom.

7. You leave, you lose. If you’re super-setting during a busy time, then expect that you may end up losing one of your alternate pieces of equipment when not using it. Don’t pout or make a fuss. Be a man: Adapt and overcome.

8. Spot those who ask and consider asking a certified trainer about proper spotting technique if you are unsure of what to do.

9. Be good to the equipment. Don't drop weights or let plates slam down. It's annoying, and you might break it. Olympic lifters get a buy on this.

10. Don't give unsolicited advice. Just mind your own business and let the dumbass hurt himself.

11. Check your ego at the door. Don't strut around like you've got an impacted colon, and don't try to lift more than you can handle. If I see your neck getting crushed from doing too much on the bench press, I’m just as likely to point and laugh as help you.

12. Don't bring your cell phone unless you're expecting an urgent call from someone who is very pregnant. You don’t build your biceps by lifting your phone to your ear.

13. Don't be too chatty. A little conversation is OK, but remember that we're all there to exercise rather than socialize. Also, don't initiate conversations with people wearing headphones. They don't want to talk to you.

14. Don't ogle the women. They don't like that, and you don't want to get a reputation as Creepy Staring Guy. If you must, take a quick glance using the mirrors, then get back to work. Drooling is bad too.

15. If you happen to be a woman reading this article, feel free to check us guys out. We do like that. As least I like it. Hey! Look at my biceps.

16. No PDA! Seriously, get a room.

17. Dress appropriately. Just because you've got it doesn't mean you should flaunt it.

18. By the way, wearing your baseball cap backwards is scientifically proven to lower your bench press by 10% and your IQ by at least double that.

I like the gym. I love it. It's my home away from home. I think the real secret to getting and staying in good shape is simply to love the exercise you engage in, and if your fellow gym patrons are courteous, then it makes loving the place a lot easier.

This will be on the test, so study hard.

Comments

• boss_jboss_j Posts: 1,243
    hahahahaha nice galing ng writer nito
  • milksworthmilksworth Posts: 3,130
    cool!
  • donbuhdonbuh Posts: 3,164
    Rule 1: nakaka-low morale sa workout...ahahaha..
    Rule 15: Yown!! Flex flex, tingin sa salamin. basa labi, hawi buhok!!POGI NA!!!
  • AldrinAldrin Posts: 799
    ^tingin ko ok lang mag ayos ng buhok pag medyo mahaba buhok mo..basta wag lang yung parang papogi na hehheeh
  • donbuhdonbuh Posts: 3,164
    aldrin..yun nga paPOGIng hawi..hahaha..wag lang tlaga yung humahawi ka ng ala namang hahawiin..papansin na yun..hehehe
  • monching11monching11 Posts: 7,273
    TFS bro!

Nakakainis talga pag mabaho at ung mga nagmamarunong sa gym eh
    pwede pa ignore nag mag mamarnong, pero yung amoy bawang,sibuyas, etc. di nakaya, lalo na kung mainit at walang hangin na ma inhale hahaha... tapos uutot pa lol

meron din dun sa gym dami alam, pero wala sa katawan ilang yrs na sya nag g gym e.
  • madami talagang ganyan mga brad...
    donbuh wrote:
    aldrin..yun nga paPOGIng hawi..hahaha..wag lang tlaga yung humahawi ka ng ala namang hahawiin..papansin na yun..hehehe
    oo yan nga:D

jerielm wrote:
    pwede pa ignore nag mag mamarnong, pero yung amoy bawang,sibuyas, etc. di nakaya, lalo na kung mainit at walang hangin na ma inhale hahaha... tapos uutot pa lol

meron din dun sa gym dami alam, pero wala sa katawan ilang yrs na sya nag g gym e.
    dami ganyan..minsan bilang mo lang sa kamay kung sino mga seryoso na nakakasabay mo..

makikita mo lang talga na kung sino nakaksabay mo padin mag buhat o nakikita mo minsan eh yun yung matitibay:D
  • monching11 wrote:
    TFS bro!

Nakakainis talga pag mabaho at ung mga nagmamarunong sa gym eh

tama ka jan! hehehe! nakaencounter na ako both nyan at ung mabaho esp pag maiiwan ung amoy sa ilong mo grabe kulang na lang mahuhulog ung binubuhat ko. hahaha
  • chikinitochikinito Posts: 461
    kargador type yung mga usual na mababaho eh. Pano ba sasabihin sa mabaho na mabaho siya? Especially kung stranger?
  • SkkinSkkin Posts: 870
    mag kamot ka ng ilong sir pag dadaan ka sa kanya.

sa akin okay lang naman yung amoy pawis given yun wag lang amoy putok o anghit hehe.
    chikinito wrote:
    kargador type yung mga usual na mababaho eh. Pano ba sasabihin sa mabaho na mabaho siya? Especially kung stranger?

wag na wag mo sasabihin kung ayaw mo mapa away kahit mas malaki ka sa kanya...layuan mo lang..:D

kung kaibigan mo pede mo sabihin ng patago:D

• tama bdtrip yan pag mabaho... my amoy na dahil sa supplements pero ung iba talagang mabaho ang pawis...
  • SkkinSkkin Posts: 870
    the3rdking wrote:
    tama bdtrip yan pag mabaho... my amoy na dahil sa supplements pero ung iba talagang mabaho ang pawis...

meron palang amoy dahil sa supps?
  • El-bad4ssEl-bad4ss Posts: 265
    nangamoy na din ako isang beses, nakalimotan kong magdala ng short akala ko nalagay ko na sa bag ko yon pala hindi, pero nandoon yung short ko from day before. yong gamit ko nang pinagpawisan short ko na ginamit ko kaysa uwi pako, lako time. wala na lang akong paki eh eh di ko naman sila kilala at at amoy kulob lang eh.

• the3rdking wrote:
    tama bdtrip yan pag mabaho... my amoy na dahil sa supplements pero ung iba talagang mabaho ang pawis...

talaga? anong supplements yan bro? hehe pangit naman ng sideeffects nayan. LOL
    meron amoy yung sobrang ACID ba sa pawis o AMMONIA
  • chikinitochikinito Posts: 461
    BTW, di daw advisable mag-anti perspirant pag nagwoworkout. Dapat talaga nagpapawis kili kili pag ganun. Kaya dapat gumamit ka ng deodorant.

Ako meron akong deodorant tska anti-perspirant sa bahay. Pag deo lang I used High Endurance. Pag anti-perspirant I experiment with other brands. Di na kaya ng High Endurance kili kili ko. Malakas ako pagpawisan eh. Hehehe.
  • chikinito wrote:
    BTW, di daw advisable mag-anti perspirant pag nagwoworkout. Dapat talaga nagpapawis kili kili pag ganun. Kaya dapat gumamit ka ng deodorant.

Ako meron akong deodorant tska anti-perspirant sa bahay. Pag deo lang I used High Endurance. Pag anti-perspirant I experiment with other brands. Di na kaya ng High Endurance kili kili ko. Malakas ako pagpawisan eh. Hehehe.

Hehe gamit ko lng bro ay ung nivea silver protection spray hehe hmm anti perspirant gamit ko hehe pero pinapawisan pa rn namAn kilikili pag nagbubuhat haha pero wala lang unwanted smell hehe
  • try niyo yung Right Guard na deospray... unscented yung deo and di nangangamoy pawis..
  • rexona for men ang dapat.. just like Binoy... hahaha idol

• jongjong24 wrote:
    chikinito wrote:

Ayun naman pala. Hahaha. ^_^

Hehe gamit ko lng bro ay ung nivea silver protection spray hehe hmm anti perspirant gamit ko hehe pero pinapawisan pa rn namAn kilikili pag nagbubuhat haha pero wala lang unwanted smell hehe
    try niyo yung Right Guard na deospray... unscented yung deo and di nangangamoy pawis..

Yung anti perspirant nya ok sakin. Pawisin ako eh. Di nako tinatablan ng high endurance. I moved dito and di talaga ako nababaskil.
    rexona for men ang dapat.. just like Binoy... hahaha idol

Hahaha. Lol! ^_^
  • bardagulbardagul Posts: 658
    10. Don't give unsolicited advice. Just mind your own business and let the dumbass hurt himself.

lol!
  • For me rule no 1 is definitely and VERY!!! important. kasi nawawalan ako nang focus no matter how hard ko iignore pag naamoy ko ay di kanais-nais. baka mamaya sya pa maging dahilan pag nainjure ako sa gym hehe.

Second ung about dun sa mga nagmamarunong, i guess annoying nga sya minsan. pro kung nasa tamang form naman yung tinuturo nya kahit di ganun ka Ok katawan nya i think thats fine, I'll take whatever info I can then ako na bahala mag filter ng Do's and Dont's. And usually I'm more on "observer mode" sa ibang marurunong tapos saka ako magtatanong. actually when I was starting marami akong inimitate na exercises by observing pro di ko alam ung name hehe kasi wala pako alam n program nun.

Third ung about dun sa unsolicited advice, tama lang yun na hwag ka magbigay, para madala ung mga "posers" sa gym kasi ung iba puro porma lang, buhat lang ng buhat di naman nila alam kung para saan ung binubuhat nila, eto pa malala, pag maynakita chick na maganda sa gym, gagawin bibigatan ng todo ung weights, tapos pag binuhat na, barely can make 2 reps, tapos sabay baba ulit ng weight, haha.
    *disclaimer*
    I'm no hater of people who go the gym na maliit katawan or sobra laki ng katawan mapababae or mapalalake, all i'm saying is that others work really hard and take pride of what they do and achieve sa loob and labas ng gym while others just stroll, show off and what's worse is laugh at other people's workouts or what they look like. So please don't give those REAL HARDWORKERs (ke mataba or payat man) at the gym a bad name.
  • tama, galing men
  • Just post in the GYm BAWAL ANG MAY ANGHIT meron nito dun sa pinag ggyman ko sa recto dati
  • haha. maganda yan brader iron na idea. :)
  • monching11monching11 Posts: 7,273
    @iron

Funny but true!