Third World Gains

badass_vinchbadass_vinch Posts: 4,471
“No Pain, No Gain”.” Blood, Sweat and Tears”. “Hardwork Beats Talent”. “Train, Eat, Sleep”. “Go Hard or Go Home”. These are the most common phrases you see and hear in just about any gym. I heard them 10 years ago from the old folks in the gym, I still hear it from random people today. I would often sum up my advices and tips to some people by these few, yet straight up words. As a young teenager my training philosophy was simple, SULIT DAPAT . So I train long hours, doing just about everything, hitting every body part for multiple sets and reps. I don’t go home unless I’m really wasted. Despite the agony and boredom of training 4 hours long, I feel accomplished because in the back of my head “yeah NO PAIN, NO GAIN!” I observed a lot of teenagers nowadays do the same thing, and I can’t blame them if they want to make the most of there P30pesos gym fee or they just want to consume every bit of energy they have in the hopes of accelerating their muscle gains.
[align=justify] [/align]
[align=justify]That’s exactly how I approached my training when I was young. I understand the feeling of saving your allowance so you can train 3x a week. Most “kalawang” Gym daily fee back then costs 15-30pesos per session. For a full time student who gets 100pesos daily allowance or for an average laborer earning slightly above minimum wage, going to the gym often can be financially challenging. Same thing is experienced today as gym rates are now ranging from 30pesos-80pesos. But despite the tight budget we make sure we hit the gym atleast thrice a week. Anyway, after the grueling workouts I went home for dinner and nothing much is on the table, as usual some white rice, a typical Pinoy viand and some leftovers from lunch. I ate as much as I could but of course I have to leave some for my brother who isn’t home yet. There are days when I have an extra 20pesos left so I can buy some eggs for a late night snack. That basically how my training and diet looked like day in and day out until I graduated from college and landed a decent job.  I bet my experience was the same thing that majority of the lifters went through and going through right now. [/align]
[align=justify] [/align]
[align=justify]As tough as it is to progress with that kind routine and nutrition, I can’t totally say that my pursuit for muscle gains were somehow mediocre. Looking back at my noob gains, it wasn’t that bad at all considering I started with a skinny-fat built. My cousins and brothers who where also thriving from scraps and lifting the same way also had good gains if I was to compare us to the other guys in the gym. As I look back at my past I contemplate on the things that I’ve done that got me to where I am today. I can’t remember a time in 14 years where my training and nutrition became easy, it’s always crucial and it’s never been easy on the pocket. All these past challenges made me think if all the money spent for building muscles are worth every penny or could it be simplified to a much practical approach. [/align]
[align=justify] [/align]
[align=justify]Every kanto gym that I visited I observed a common thing, majority of the guys who lift there aren’t following a training program nor a diet plan. They just train hard. Not questioning the intensity of the other people there but you can see who’s all business and who’s just clowning around. They sweat like crazy and they don’t mind getting dirty with all the dust and rust from every corner of the gym. These boys also eat like normal Pinoys. They are just average individuals who lift weights after a day job/school  and would probably have balot, penoy, Pop Cola or tapsilog after workout with their barkada. These scenarios reminded me of the guys that I look up to in the gym during my first year of training. Back then, there were not much information around on how to train and eat. You will rarely see a bodybuilding magazine, supplement store, fitness ads not even searching the internet for info didn’t cross my mind. There’s no Youtube or popular social media sites. Even Friendster arrived late. Despite the lack of science and technicalities we know today, those big boys are gaining muscle.  I also took the same route before and I wasn’t disappointed. I know I could do better but I’m already thankful for my gains. [/align]
[align=justify] [/align]
[align=justify]Now, I encounter a lot of new lifters who are going out of their minds and desperately seeking for the best training and diet program, the latest supplement and workout gear etc. The only problem is they forgot the most important part which is training itself. On situations where you have nothing, you tend to give it all out and ensure that your hardwork pays off. Bodybuilding and fitness is expensive and demands time, average Filipinos with limited resources will find it difficult to pursue it long term with a good return of investment that’s why it’s a common paranoia to new lifters to find the perfect routine and diet as early as possible to ensure that their efforts get them to promise land the soonest possible time. This paranoia is not that much of an issue before. With few distractions and social pressure, the old school brothers are locked up on their training. They don’t worry about supplements, gadgets, selfies, and what will people say in social media. As much as they want to improve their nutrition, they’re left with no choice but to eat for survival due to budget constraints. Guess what? They still got big! I’m not saying that the guys today aren’t progressing because that’s an individual thing but I’m referring to how each generation approach training and diet. Things have changed a lot![/align]
[align=justify]The financial situation remained the same through out the years and nutrition is the one that is largely affected by this issue. One of the biggest factors for muscle gains is nutrition. We all know how important it is to supply our bodies with quality food not only a few times but on a daily basis. But what if you don’t have the money to sustain a bodybuilding type of diet? Will that kill your gains? Slow it down? We can argue all day how vital nutrition is to maximize our gains but we have to be honest to ourselves that in the event that you have no choice but to eat low quality food sources, we will choose to eat rather than overthinking nutrition. This is why this article was called “Third World Gains” because the reality is that building muscle and improving your physique is still possible even on a typical Filipino way of eating as long as you put on the work and necessary labor. I’ll just point out that I’m not talking about screwing your diet, if you have the money for quality food then make it a priority. Unfortunately, a large number of lifters are left with no choice due to strict budget so they make up for it by killing themselves in the gym. [/align]
[align=justify] [/align]
[align=justify]This is the classic old-school kanto gym mentality which I would like to bring back. I know it is still the norm on some local gyms, they might be labeled as stupid and broscience by most modern mainstream fitness enthusiast but it works. You simply can’t go wrong with hard labor. Today, I see a lot of ridiculous activities and practices in kanto gyms. If you’re updated with the latest science you might be laughing at these folks deep inside. Despite the knowledge and experience I gained over the years, I kept an open mind. I don’t mind rolling with these people in the gym because I know where they are coming from, I was once in the same situation. They simply don’t care about science, all they know is grind. I’ve witnessed security guards, “karpintero”, waiters, “kargador”, “panadero”, office workers, call center agents who trained their butts off in the gym consistently and although their diet sucks, they made good progress. We are all familiar with huge and jacked prison inmates who lift everyday, they too have poor nutrition but nevertheless their hardcore style of lifting was enough to make them grow. [/align]
[align=justify] [/align]
[align=justify]When I’m still living in Manila, our barangay has a few freeweights and equipments for the residents. Everyone uses them even the kids,” tambay”, and the “tropa” from other barangays who drops by to our street to play basketball. Everyday, from morning till night you will always see some one lifting. I myself use them especially when the gym is closed. A few months have passed I noticed that everyone is getting big and strong. What amazes me is that these folks had way better gains compared to some of the people in the gym. Take note, they just lifted as a past time activity or just for fun but they did it everyday. They know no diet, no proper program, not to mention the bad lifestyle. They just lifted all out, trying to outwork the other guys. It’s a healthy competition daily between these boys. This convinced me that training hard consistently even without proper nutrition can still get you somewhere without the hassle of losing your sanity over the complexity of fitness and literally shifting your finances to muscle building over other things.[/align]
[align=justify]In a country where basic needs are as expensive as the unnecessary luxuries of life, how would Juan Dela Cruz reach his fitness goals on a limited budget? I’ve been there and so as many others. The main thing that got me here is the non stop consistent labor I spent on training. It’s the only piece of the puzzle that kept the other pieces together even if they don’t fit right. I always trained balls to the wall whether my diet is good or bad. The message is simple, prioritize training when you have limited resources. Let us not forget that at the end of the day, this is a lifting game![/align]
[align=justify] [/align]
[align=justify]Take home message:[/align]
[align=justify]1.[size=x-small]       [/size]Lift hard, heavy and consistently.[/align]
[align=justify]2.[size=x-small]       [/size]Eat! But don’t complicate it. Protein, carbs and fats are all important but if all you can afford is more rice. That’s ok, it’s not the end of the world.[/align]
[align=justify]3.[size=x-small]       [/size]Know your place. Don’t live like a pro if you’re just an average joe. We are all “Muscleheads” and “Gymrats” in the eyes of the people. They can’t tell the difference.[/align]