Lifting + cardio how many hours apart

I have a question

i usually workout (weightlift) in a day at like let's say 8 or 9am monday to wed and thursday or friday

then do cardio (tennis (intense training) ) during TUES THURS and SAT

should i do something about it? during my workout sched on tues or thurs(depende if mag thurs or fri ako na workout)

cause i've read somewhere that you shouldn't do cardio and weight lifting at the same time(regardless how many hours apart you're doing them) in a day.

though i have read articles that say you can do cardio 6-8 hours apart from your weight lifting.

thank you! :)

Comments

• BANEBANE Posts: 1,927
    Oxalate wrote:
    I have a question

i usually workout (weightlift) in a day at like let's say 8 or 9am monday to wed and thursday or friday

should i do something about it? during my workout sched on tues or thurs(depende if mag thurs or fri ako na workout)

cause i've read somewhere that you shouldn't do cardio and weight lifting at the same time(regardless how many hours apart you're doing them) in a day.

though i have read articles that say you can do cardio 6-8 hours apart from your weight lifting.

cardio is good for cardiovascular. for body buuilding hindi masyado sinesensationalize. for some, un tlga ultimate "fat burning" "technique" all types of cardio. pero when bblders wanna lose fat, they just cut their diet. cals in / cals out
  • jomskijomski Posts: 163
    Oxalate wrote:
    I have a question

I do intense badminton once or twice a week. From my experience kumakain sya sa recovery time mo (and ultimately baka wala kang mapansin na strength and muscle gains) specially when you're cutting. Eto yung mga nasubukan kong combination ng badminton + weight training:

Morning: Weights. Evening: Badminton <- Bad combination specially kung legs ang tinira mo ng umaga
    Morning: Badminton. Right After: Weights  <- Another bad combination, kulang ka sa lakas specially kung hindi ka kakain in between.
    Day 1: Badminton. Day 2: Weights <- Di ka rin nakakarecover. Close to impossible to lift specially if its your leg day tapos may DOMS ka pa from the day before.
    Day 1: Weights. Day 2: Badminton <- Pwede basta hindi legs ang tinira mo the day before
    Day 1: Weights. Day 2: Rest. Day 3: Badminton. Day 4: Rest, etc. <- This is the best scenario for me so far, I can maintain my strength sa gym AND train as hard as I can sa badminton court.

When I did my research some say it has something to do with fast twitch versus slow twitch muscle activation. The more cardio you do  the less muscle is built kasi your body is being trained to be fast rather than strong (and vice versa).

You can get away with intense cardio + weights kung medyo bata ka pa and nasa peak pa yung recovery rate mo, but as you grow old its the recovery time ang tinatamaan
  • badass_vinchbadass_vinch Posts: 4,471
    jomski wrote:
    Oxalate wrote:
    I have a question

i usually workout (weightlift) in a day at like let's say 8 or 9am monday to wed and thursday or friday

cause i've read somewhere that you shouldn't do cardio and weight lifting at the same time(regardless how many hours apart you're doing them) in a day.

I do intense badminton once or twice a week. From my experience kumakain sya sa recovery time mo (and ultimately baka wala kang mapansin na strength and muscle gains) specially when you're cutting. Eto yung mga nasubukan kong combination ng badminton + weight training:

Morning: Weights. Evening: Badminton <- Bad combination specially kung legs ang tinira mo ng umaga
    Morning: Badminton. Right After: Weights <- Another bad combination, kulang ka sa lakas specially kung hindi ka kakain in between.
    Day 1: Badminton. Day 2: Weights <- Di ka rin nakakarecover. Close to impossible to lift specially if its your leg day tapos may DOMS ka pa from the day before.
    Day 1: Weights. Day 2: Badminton <- Pwede basta hindi legs ang tinira mo the day before
    Day 1: Weights. Day 2: Rest. Day 3: Badminton. Day 4: Rest, etc. <- This is the best scenario for me so far, I can maintain my strength sa gym AND train as hard as I can sa badminton court.

When I did my research some say it has something to do with fast twitch versus slow twitch muscle activation. The more cardio you do the less muscle is built kasi your body is being trained to be fast rather than strong (and vice versa).

You can get away with intense cardio + weights kung medyo bata ka pa and nasa peak pa yung recovery rate mo, but as you grow old its the recovery time ang tinatamaan

The combinations are fine if physique development is the goal. Weights and cardio or vice versa, morning or night training, ginagawa naman talaga yung ganyang scheme lalo na during a cut. Yes, the recovery is very short coz you have so little time (in a bodybuilding standpoint). You have performance issues because you mixed bodybuilding weight training with sports that's why things dont flow smoothly. Kaya nga may sport specific weight training kasi goal nun palakasin yung athlete at hindi ishape yung physique nya. Yung alternate days ng weights and badminton IMO mas optimal nga for you kung gusto mo mamaximize yung performance mo. Yun nga lang give and take din ang gains mo.
  • jomskijomski Posts: 163
    jomski wrote:
    Oxalate wrote:
    I have a question

i usually workout (weightlift) in a day at like let's say 8 or 9am monday to wed and thursday or friday

cause i've read somewhere that you shouldn't do cardio and weight lifting at the same time(regardless how many hours apart you're doing them) in a day.

I do intense badminton once or twice a week. From my experience kumakain sya sa recovery time mo (and ultimately baka wala kang mapansin na strength and muscle gains) specially when you're cutting. Eto yung mga nasubukan kong combination ng badminton + weight training:

Morning: Badminton. Right After: Weights  <- Another bad combination, kulang ka sa lakas specially kung hindi ka kakain in between.
    Day 1: Badminton. Day 2: Weights <- Di ka rin nakakarecover. Close to impossible to lift specially if its your leg day tapos may DOMS ka pa from the day before.
    Day 1: Weights. Day 2: Badminton <- Pwede basta hindi legs ang tinira mo the day before

When I did my research some say it has something to do with fast twitch versus slow twitch muscle activation. The more cardio you do  the less muscle is built kasi your body is being trained to be fast rather than strong (and vice versa).

The combinations are fine if physique development is the goal. Weights and cardio or vice versa, morning or night training, ginagawa naman talaga yung ganyang scheme lalo na during a cut. Yes, the recovery is very short coz you have so little time (in a bodybuilding standpoint). You have performance issues because you mixed bodybuilding weight training with sports that's why things dont flow smoothly. Kaya nga may sport specific weight training kasi goal nun palakasin yung athlete at hindi ishape yung physique nya. Yung alternate days ng weights and badminton IMO mas optimal nga for you kung gusto mo mamaximize yung performance mo. Yun nga lang give and take din ang gains mo.

Yup I agree sir V. I just assumed the OP meant Bodybuilding/hypertrophy style weight training + tennis. If its sport specific then definitely everything will flow smoothly for him (performance wise + gains)
  • asggeloasggelo Posts: 76
    Oxalate wrote:
    cause i've read somewhere that you shouldn't do cardio and weight lifting at the same time(regardless how many hours apart you're doing them)

Actually it depends on the intensity of the workout. You can do cardio and resistance training on the same day. You just have to plan the intensity so that you won't get burned out. 30 minutes of cardio sa target heart rate mo puwede na. May range kasi ang target heart kino-compute yun. Just stay on the fat burning range. After your cardio pahinga ka lang ng konti then proceed with your weight training.

Planning is the key. Don't over exhaust yourself.