Effects of Intermittent Fasting

Hi PBB Brothers! I just want to throw a question here for IF practitioners.

I have been in the said diet for more than a year now, started January 2014 and I plan to continue it. My question is, have you observed that the diet was really able to do catabolic process during fasted phase and anabolic process during feeding window? or the effects are just all because of the calorie deficit brought by the limited window time?

My observation is not clear yet, but I find that IF was able to help me lose fat and at least maintain strength during my workouts. I am not sure if it is directly related to muscle preservation or slight gain.

Comments

• jomskijomski Posts: 163
    Do you train fasted?
  • AestecniquesAestecniques Posts: 487
    jomski wrote:
    Do you train fasted?

I do when I cut. up to two work outs per week.
  • badass_vinchbadass_vinch Posts: 4,471

I have been in the said diet for more than a year now, started January 2014 and I plan to continue it. My question is, have you observed that the diet was really able to do catabolic process during fasted phase and anabolic process during feeding window? or the effects are just all because of the calorie deficit brought by the limited window time?

My observation is not clear yet, but I find that IF was able to help me lose fat and at least maintain strength during my workouts. I am not sure if it is directly related to muscle preservation or slight gain.

what's the question?

what's the question?

Sir V the question is, have you observed that the diet was really able to do catabolic process during fasted phase and anabolic process during feeding window? or the effects are just all because of the calorie deficit brought by the limited window time?
  • badass_vinchbadass_vinch Posts: 4,471

what's the question?

Sir V the question is, have you observed that the diet was really able to do catabolic process during fasted phase and anabolic process during feeding window? or the effects are just all because of the calorie deficit brought by the limited window time?

First, If you feel flat during the fasting hours it's normal. If you feel flat after cutting for months, it's also normal. Second, calorie deficit is not brought by an eating window. Eating low calories is a choice. Eating below maintenance on ANY DIET or EATING PATTERN will make you prone to catabolism.
    Just to clarify, the limited window only makes eating on deficit easier, it does not brought the deficit itself. Thanks Sir V for the clarification.
  • http://www.testshock.com/intermittent-fasting-testosterone-levels-5-facts-will-blow-mind/

Just sharing the correlation of IF to Testosterone. I have positive experiences about this although not yet able to measure my Testosterone levels. How about you guys?
  • Hi PBB Brothers! I just want to throw a question here for IF practitioners.

Sir how about yung kumain kna after fasting tapos mag wo-workout ka na may laman na ang tyan, ok lang kaya yun?
  • Under leangains the usual is having the workout in a fasted state. Then big meal afterwards which is start of feeding window. Dunno why it's like that, when I was doing leangains I still had my protein and carb drink preworkout. Only did that for a month then switched to eat stop eat, since I wasn't loosing weight in leangains.
  • aloy0511aloy0511 Posts: 948
    i dont really believe in IF, but the small feeding time is a great help when cutting, specially when your calories are really low.
    Imagine dividing 2000 calories in 6 meals in a normal diet, while 2 or 3 meals on i.f.
  • I see some improvement in my midsection,i know its early to say but im.satisfied with IF, although break muna sa diet this holiday season.next week na lang ulit itutuloy ang IF.
  • Hi PBB Brothers! I just want to throw a question here for IF practitioners.

Sir how about yung kumain kna after fasting tapos mag wo-workout ka na may laman na ang tyan, ok lang kaya yun?
     I workout like that bro, atleast siguro mga 30 mins manlang bago magexercise hehe
  • sabi nga sa site makaksabay ka sa kain ng mga realatives & friends mo specially sa eating window nila dahil hindi naman sila nagdidiet 2nd makakain mo yung mga gusto mo kainin pero LIMIT parin kasi na INTRO ka na sa mga staple foods for Building muscle

sa akin kasi simula ng ginawa ko to, meron akong ka work na 30 y.o na sya, bale 5 years nya na ginagwa yung routine nya kapag kasabay ko sya mag lunch ang kinakain nya isang unan ng kanin, tapos ulam nya hindi naman masyadong ma protina, yun lang 
    tapos kapag break namin skyflakes lang at milo kinakain nya pag gabi hindi na sya kumakain tapos balik ulit sa routine nya, pero ang katawan naman pang model lang ya 6 pa abs, actually hindi nya alam yung mga tawag sa mga ganun hate nya yung mga supplement tapos nag gym sya 3 months lang 5 years ago pa, 30 na sya ngayon maintain lang, nung nakita ko yung pic nya ng mga last 3 years parang walang nabago e, saka yung katawan nya msasabi ko na kumpleto siguro kasi mababa BF nya chest shoulder  tricep bicep traps back abs oblique, AT PAT PAT NA BINTI  5'8 height nya, natawa nga ako hindi nya alam yung oblique
    kaya nung nag start ako ng IF nakakabilib yung process ang bilis makababa ng BF at build ng muscle, kailangan lang talaga motivated ka sa ginagawa mo at alam mo yung makakatulong sayo na pag kain, pag dating sa eating window ko focus ako sa kinakain ko
  • TRoll_W_a_HeartTRoll_W_a_Heart Posts: 1,308

@Aestecniques said:

Ive been doing a combination of I.F./iifym, sometimes il do I.F./keto if i feel bloated. at my age which is 42, i just use it to stay lean, the trick is to keep you protein high, i eat around 1-1.2g per body weight, i keep my carbs low and use healthy fats as fuel. If you use the lean gains method of 16/8, the catabolic effect wont reach your muscle, not just yet, i read somewhere that it takes 36hrs for the body to eat its own muscle as fuel. Btw strength gains on I.F are few and seldom, but it doesnt mean you wont build muscle.