MUSCLE AND STRENGTH (5X5)

during my college days way back 2008, i only weigh 132lbs. i played a lot of basketball. until one day i looked at myself infront of a mirror, and saw a very skinny malnourished looking guy. and decided to do something to gain weight. and that is to go to a gym and workout.

i train on and off because i choose to play basketball than to lift. until it came to a point that i cannot shoot a ball anymore because of my bad eyesight, i decided to go back to lifting weights again.

i did different kinds of workout. pyramid sets, supersets, circuit, etcs. and nothing is happening.no progress at all. i ate a lot of protein rich foods. took mass gainer and protein shakes. but none of it works until i learned that in order to build strength and muscle, you must lift heavy. and to lift heavy is to lower the repetitions, and add more sets.

after weeks of reasearch, i came across a 5x5 workout. it was Stronglifts.

i started using SL5x5 on June 2013. my stats on my first day was SQ 50lbs DL70lbs BP50lbs 10pushups. and cant even do a single pull up.
so i did the program for 5months straight.after, I gained weight and became 77kgs. SQ125lbs DL 125lbs BP110lbs. can now do 30push ups and 10 pull ups.

then i had dengue fever. i went down to skinny again.i was depressed because all of my hard work went to waste. instead of going to the gym, i just did calisthenics for 6 months. then one day i stopped working out. just like that.

fast forward to NOVEMBER 2014, i enrolled myself to a gym. and im back doing SL 5x5. calisthenics helped me maintain my weight but not my strength. i went down a few notches, but i will not stop anymore. from now on we will only be talking about GAINS!

starting stats:

SQUATS 110lbs
DEADLIFT 110LBS
BENCHPRESS 90LBS
BENT-OVER ROW 60LBS
OVERHEAD PRESS 60LBS
PULL UP PER SET x7
DIPS PER SET x7

starting weight 75kg

goals? 200 mark on compound lifts. 80kg worth of muscles.

Comments

• rtravino29rtravino29 Posts: 1,549
    welcome bro!

first, kudos on going back to the gym, One thing that you need to bear in mind is that bodybuilding is not asprint, it's a marathon, yung gains, anjan lang yan, mano pa at babalik o mahihigitan mo pa yung mga nagagawa at nabubuhat mo dati,

also , I'm sorry about you getting dengue, talagang nangyayari yan, marami tayong ups and downs sa buhay, pero what matter is that yung hindi ka sumusuko, good luck sa goal mo brah! keep us posted :)
  • BANEBANE Posts: 1,927
    your strength will come back in no time! before you knw it your hitting 4 plates on the squats! kepp moving forward! :)
  • Emman1986Emman1986 Posts: 1,819
    welcome sa pbb brad! walang sukuan! walang ayawan! keep moving forward! :)
  • thanks for the warm welcome guys. :sport:

@rtravino29 - im back to the gym and there's no backing out anymore haha.

@Ghee - im working on getting the weights up. but i wont rush. i'll keep you posted on my squats. haha. sana makabuhat ng 4plates! aaarrggh

@Emman1986 - walang sukuan toh bro. sasabay ako sa inyo sa pag move forward. beastmode tyo dito sa pbb hehe.

i will always update my lifting stats everytime i hit a PR. planning to reach 200lbs mark on SQ and DL. then bodyweight mark sa BP :flex:
  • welcome sir! basta focus lang and dont take your eyes off your goal
  • i'm on my 2nd month of SL 5x5. everthing is going great so far. i'm adding weights gradually evey week.

only problem i have right now would be my overhead press. hopefully i gain shoulder strength to add up the weights because i got stuck at 40lbs starting weight. (maybe i need to do more push ups for shoulder strength?)

i will try to improve this DEC 2014. there's no backing down guys. holiday season isn't a cheat buffet. think of it as bulking season. lol. cheers!
  • i am a fan of 5x5 but honestly this workout routine stops helping me to get bigger. it helps me get stronger and stronger though. so next year i will change my workout program.

compound lifts will stay at 5x5
    isolated lift will be at around 8-12 rep range
    will still do pull ups (cause i love pull ups)
    will add core workouts.

new workout program will be CHEST/TRICEPS - BACK/BICEPS - LEGS/SHOULDERS
    after each workout i will choose to add pull ups / chin ups / push ups / dips / abs

2015 will be a new journey. no stopping. cheers
  • i am a fan of 5x5 but honestly this workout routine stops helping me to get bigger. it helps me get stronger and stronger though. so next year i will change my workout program.

compound lifts will stay at 5x5
    isolated lift will be at around 8-12 rep range
    will still do pull ups (cause i love pull ups)
    will add core workouts.

new workout program will be CHEST/TRICEPS - BACK/BICEPS - LEGS/SHOULDERS
    after each workout i will choose to add pull ups / chin ups / push ups / dips / abs

2015 will be a new journey. no stopping. cheers
  • currently doing different program.

pinoybodybuilding.com/Thread-ROAD-TO-MASSIVE-2015

will go back to 5x5 after summer

cheers!
  • yopyopmyopyopm Posts: 366
    currently doing different program.

pinoybodybuilding.com/Thread-ROAD-TO-MASSIVE-2015

will go back to 5x5 after summer

cheers!

ok yan sir ah. meron pala mga list ng program dito
  • hindi sir @yopyopm

ako lang po gumawa ng journal. hehe.

late 2014 kasi 5x5 program ko.

this 2015 hanggang summer dagdag reps muna ko. pero mag 5x5 ulit ako around May 2015 :)