Rep Ranges and Muscle Growth

This article that came up on my newsfeed on FB tackles what is currently being discussed here sa site. STR sv BB vs Endurance training and the rep ranges.

Short but sweet article.

Train for your goals/how you wanna look/lift brah.

Article: Fitness and Power

Thoughts?

Comments

• aloy0511aloy0511 Posts: 948
    12 reps modahfuckaaaa. ahahaha.

been waiting for this article to come back to life lol
  • monching11monching11 Posts: 7,273
    Sarcoplasm brah!
  • nrg500nrg500 Posts: 1,233
    In relation to the topic, here is part of an article from T-Nation
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/why_bodybuilders_are_more_jacked_than_powerlifters
    tom-platz-fred-hatfield.jpg
    (Left: Fred Hatfield, Right: Tom Platz)

In 1993, Tom Platz, owner of perhaps the biggest wheels in bodybuilding history, entered into a squatting competition with Fred Hatfield (aka "Dr. Squat"), the first guy to squat 1,000 pounds.

Although Tom's legs were much bigger than Fred's, Fred kicked his butt in a one-rep max, hoisting 855 pounds to Tom's 765 pounds. But when they took some plates off the bar and decreased the weight to 525 pounds for a test of lower-body endurance, Tom dusted Fred, performing 23 reps compared to Fred's 11.

Bottom line is, bodybuilders seem better at high reps with a smooth cadence, whereas powerlifters seem more adept at low reps performed explosively.
    Nice. That just strengthens the article even more
  • ectomeectome Posts: 64
    nice article...

bali po kung titignan yung pics ni fred at tom
    parang mas aesthetic yung higher reps lower weight plates compare sa higher weight plates lower reps.
    tama po ba?
  • Ano BW nila during the meet?
  • CoreCore Posts: 2,509
    Not always the case, they way you look doesn't all boils down on training alone.
  • kung sino mas magaan na BW sa kanila ang panalo :)
    Di nabanggit ung weight eh.
  • DregPittDregPitt Posts: 987
    experiment ko yan ngaun eh. hehe
    Alin?
  • Big DawgBig Dawg Posts: 645
    I have always got the best of both worlds in a workout - pyramidding up in weight and hitting worksets with rep ranges from 5-10 on most basics, and 8-15 on most isolations. Has worked great for me putting on size and strength over the past 35 years. I think too many people look at it as a binary equation where it MUST be one or the other - that's the wrong outlook. You WILL get stronger doing 8-10 reps of an exercise. You WILL get bigger doing sets of 5. There is a HUGE overlapping grey area of rep ranges and much of the results from doing them is determined by the amount of fast twitch/low twitch types of muscle fiber each of us have. It's not like these are some magic numbers saying "Oh shit if I only do 5 reps I won't get bigger" or "if I do 8 reps on the bench I won't get stronger". Do both if you wanna get big & strong - don't be a "tunnel vision" guy. ;)
  • YatezYatez Posts: 2,745
    Another golden post for you sir BD!
  • DregPittDregPitt Posts: 987
    Plateau ako ngaun sa dl at bp.. Tntry ko iLower ung weights than usual and higher reps.
  • Big Dawg wrote:
    I have always got the best of both worlds in a workout - pyramidding up in weight and hitting worksets with rep ranges from 5-10 on most basics, and 8-15 on most isolations. Has worked great for me putting on size and strength over the past 35 years. I think too many people look at it as a binary equation where it MUST be one or the other - that's the wrong outlook. You WILL get stronger doing 8-10 reps of an exercise. You WILL get bigger doing sets of 5. There is a HUGE overlapping grey area of rep ranges and much of the results from doing them is determined by the amount of fast twitch/low twitch types of muscle fiber each of us have. It's not like these are some magic numbers saying "Oh shit if I only do 5 reps I won't get bigger" or "if I do 8 reps on the bench I won't get stronger". Do both if you wanna get big & strong - don't be a "tunnel vision" guy. ;)

tama sir.
  • FlorianFlorian Posts: 55
    when i get a "pleteau" i change my workout.
    i will make 15-20 reps in one set or i will do "supersets". After 1-2 Weeks i was always able reach the next level.....
    in general i mix my training with 4-5 sets.... 14-6 reps.... (14/12/8-10/6-8 and one again