2nd Powerlifting Meet Prep. Got the Bronze. Chase the Gold.

Comments

• Captain MM's log entry, Stardate 309102.3891742771 (11/24/13)
    BW: 93KG
    Mood, absolutely psyched.

Transferred gym today as subscription has run out. This one has rubber plates, olympic bars and safe looking squat racks. People are rude though. I don't get it. Decided to do a lot of light oly lifts and deads to get a feel for the place before starting my first session into another domain.

Bench Day

Bench Press
    135x12(new rep record)
    145x8(new rep record)
    150x5x3

CGBP
    100x17(new rep record) rest pause

Felt lighter this time around. I will be bumping up to 155 for sets in the next workout. Psyched that I feel more comfortable benching now it must be the better equipment.

BB Rows
    135 x 5 x 3

Kroc Rows
    100 x 15 Lots of torso rotation. HAHAHA. Not counted tong Rep PR na to. Andaya e.

Facepulls
    80 x 12 x 3

Felt absolutely fried. My shorts were drenched in sweat. Gym ventilation sucks. Will man up to it in future sessions.
  • Captain MM's log entry, Stardate 309099.38606671744 (11/25/13)
    BW:100kg
    (The fukk. Kelangan ko na ata mag bawas ng weight. Never ako umabot ng 100kg kahit sobrang busog.)
    Mood, absolutely peachy.

Pre W/O meal:
    (Pares) + 5 cups of rice for 55 pesos.
    Unli rice unli sabaw. Panalong bulking meal ito.
    Kumpares pangalan ng lugar.[/align]

Gym is packed. The amount of bad form and etiquette passing as normal behavior is astounding.

I started out warming up with knee rotations and joint mobility drills and were given funny looks and laughs.
    Put in 1 plate and repped it out people went up to me and told me how I shouldn't be doing squats that low.
    I told them I was alright and went to 2 plates and warmed up with it.
    Now the comments were of how strong I was. If people only knew what strong really is.
    I then saw how and why people commented like that. All of them were only doing quarter reps with 1 plate.
    Then realized everyone did half to quarter rom of everything.
    Not sheriff srs.

Back Squat
    135x21
    225x5
    250x5
    260x3x5 (New rep PR. Previously couldn't finish 3 sets with 260.)

Good Mornings
    135 x 5 x 8

Sumo DL's
    225 x 3 x 8

Hyperextensions BW
    x to failure.

done.

Gym headphones on:
    Current playlist

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
    Angel Witch - S/T
  • riddlerriddler Posts: 1,018
    I started out warming up with knee rotations and joint mobility drills and were given funny looks and laughs.

^ This. I got the same treatment here too every time I do my foam rolling and mobility drills.
  • Captain MM's log entry, Stardate 309096.8131024861 (11/26/13)

BW: 94KG

Do Jack **** mode today. Felt really intense though.

Jerks 135 x 8

OHP 110

OHP 100 x 2 x 5
    OHP 90 x 6

Done.
  • JESTy™JESTy™ Posts: 159
    brah taga LP ka pala.hehehe (nabasa ko dun sa journal na HighBlood) alam ko yung gym sa tapat ng starmall. yung sa taas! dun kasi nagbubuhat yung pinsan ko.hahaha Erkki Paolo, baka nakakasabay mo.
    taga Gloria Diaz lang yun, every other week andun yata ako siguro sakanila.hehehehe
    small world!
  • Si Kuya Paolo! Haha. Baka hindi niya ko kilala pero naguusap sila ng training buddy ko si Miguel. Solid baet yun! Cheers!
    Dito na ako nagbubuhat sa Uniwide ngayon kasi may mga Oly Bars pero namimis ko magbuhat sa taas wala kasing tao hahaha.

-
    Doing deadlifts today. Psyched.
  • JESTy™JESTy™ Posts: 159
    kuya paolo amp! 24 lang yun. saan ka sa LP?
    onga pansin ko wala masyado nagbubuhat dun.

baka naman madami lang chiks dun sa uniwide kaya ka lumipat dun.<3
  • 19 lang ako! haha. Kuya lahat sila!!! :P Taga Uniwide lang ako brah. Greymarville Subd.
    Wala ngang chicks sa Uniwide at kung meron man may kasama ng mga siyota. I am disappoint.jpg ang dating.

@Riddler, sobrang badtrip nga brah. hahaha. Ewan ko ba.
    Meron ring nag bebench ng 225 dun na ang kulit ng form.
    Inb4 shoulder/RC injury.
    pero I guess wala ako karapan mag salita kasi 150 lang bench ko for reps hahaha.
  • Captain MM's log entry, Stardate 309093.4149226282 (11/27/13)
    BW: 95kg

I feel the dreamer bulk is called for since cutting/maintaining with little to no money to buy decent food without a job might affect muscle/strength gains.
    Will continue gaining weight and will cut on first paycheck. Little over my comfort zone at 95kg. I aim for at least maintaining at 90kg unless newbie gains stall.

Pre w/o meal
    Deep Fried Pork Stew(Pares) + 6 cups of rice + 2 cheapo energy drinks for 1.25$

Got in an intense session today with two of my metalbrahs.
    Miguel set a new PR with front squats of 110lbs for 5 and 150lbs for 5 on back squats.
    I aware you on Miguel's thrash metal influenced melodic death/prog band.

Vinny set a new PR with back squats with 200lbs x 1 and two plate with DL's x 1 (225).
    I aware you on Vinny's psychedelic dark-ass jam band.

Deadlift

WU
    135 x 10
    225 x 5
    290 x 1

Workset:
    315 x 5
    315 x 5 x 1 singles

My PR is 325 x 5 for 1 set when I used to train at Eclipse.
    The absence of chalk and the oly bar being thicker than standard makes it hard on the grip. It felt like I could've gone heavier but sweat on the bar makes it hard for me to complete a set. Doesn't matter.
    Will make grip strong enough to advance. No excuses.

Front Squat
    225lbs 3 x 3 ( NEW PR )
    Last month could do 225 x 1 w/ belt.
    Did this without. Feels great.

Power Shrugs
    225 x 3 x 5

BB rows
    135 2 x 5

Kroc Rows
    100 x 8 / arm

Deadlift
    225 x 3 x 12
    Last set was rest-pause. Grip was giving up on me.

Done.

Gym Music standouts: in-lifting.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwlN1-0QJnk

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHuCCeIc91U‎
  • JettieJettie Posts: 3,763
    brah you can try sa grip pag walang chalk..

Hugasan maigi ang kamay, punasan maigi ang kamay ng malinis na bimpo..

Patuyuin, mag lagay ng matapang na alchohol, patuyuin sa hangin, punasan ng towel..

Then igrip agad yung bar habang tuyo pa ang kamay..

-broscience madness.
  • CoreCore Posts: 2,509
    Use old school newspapers! Just crumple, then grip and lift!
  • Gumamit nga ako ng wraps sa second set ko on DL's. Badtrip lang hahaha.

I will try your advice Jettie at Core. Baka mas madali kesa sa wraps. Ayaw ko ng feels talaga ng wraps. slamat.
  • Captain MM's log entry, Stardate 309091.078957382 (11/28/13)
    BW:95kg

It was supposed to be a rest day today but I just couldn't wait for my emulator games to finish torrenting. FML.
    I did hip stretches at home for the first time and felt limber as fuark air squatting.

Them fat boy feels went feeling up when I ate breakfast and couldn't fathom not exercising right after.

I jogged outside and went past my gym. Decided to go inside and use the pull up bar to stretch out my shoudlers.

Decided to touch a bar and do Overhead Squats and Snatches and C&J's with just the bar.

Decided to add 5kg on each side.

Decided to add some more

And some more.

And a bit more.

And some more.

Until I'm finally having a fuarking workset on my supposed rest day.

Until finally I'm loading 270lbs on the squat rack to try and shoot for a never before reached rep weight.

Back Squat
    270lbs x 5 PR! HI! HA! HU!

Felt really light.
    My knees and hips are finally working for me instead of against me.
    Really glad I fixed up my form and opened the hips up more instead of the weight dangerously shifting to my knees and ankles. Saved myself a lot of trouble there.

That's probably the only thing worth logging about since I just ****ed around the gym for 20 intense minutes today doing Oly's and brutal stretches.

The weekends are coming up and I'm contemplating on just scrapping Sat and Sun as gaming days for recovery.
    I might since my mom is inviting me up to her place to stay on the weekends.

MM out.
  • Dahil Sat and Sun ay now Front Mission 3 and Final Fantasy Tactics days decided to do heavy singles and get some more intensity in today.

Captain MM's log entry, Stardate 309088.2428970067 (11/29/13)

BW:95KG

I'm really trying to catch that 315 Back Squat before the end of the year so I'm squatting and trying to get down my technique almost daily.
    As a noob I might get away with squatting relatively heavy for me everyday so we'll see.

135 x 5
    150 x 3
    225 x 2
    250 x 1
    270 x 1
    270 x 2
    270 x 5
    280 x 1
    290 x 1
    270 x 2
    280 x 2
    290 x 1
    ----
    (315 x 1
    w/ belt and only to parallel. Under huge pressure to fold over into a good morning.
    Need to work on my squat technique and lower back/abs more. Or probably just not the time yet.
    Hindi ako makukuntento hangang hindi ko mabaon ang 315 sa lupa pucha.

225 x 5 Jump Squats

Front Squats
    singles
    225 x 5 x 1

Before I left there was this dude that came in and squatted two plates ATG.
    Commented on how awesome it is that he's doing squats that low but probably got weirded out by me haha.
    First time ever seeing anyone else in the gym who is aware of proper lifting. Noice.
  • YatezYatez Posts: 2,745
    Lakas!
  • Thanks The Destroyer! haha. I

---
    Mejo na aasar ako sa diet ko ngayon.
    Puro ako kain ng kain ng kain kasi wala akong maayos na protein source dahil broke at walang job.
    Kaya takot ako mag maintenance/deficit baka humina mga lifts ko. I've found na dahil sa newbie gains kahit on a slight deficit basta in check lang yung protein intake nataas parin lifts ko dahil sa n00b gainz.

In the past three months from 88-90kg, naging 93-95kg ako pagpasok ng late Oct. tapos ngayon asa 96 to 98kg na napalo weight ko.
    Give or take on an empty stomach a weight gain of 13lbs over the course of 2 1/2 months.

Is this tooo faaaasttttttttt braaaaahsss?

(315 x 1
    w/ belt and only to parallel. Under huge pressure to fold over into a good morning.
    Need to work on my squat technique and lower back/abs more. Or probably just not the time yet.
    Hindi ako makukuntento hangang hindi ko mabaon ang 315 sa lupa pucha.

Ano ba kasing SQ ang ginagawa mo? LowBar or HighBar?
  • JettieJettie Posts: 3,763
    kung feel mo naman brah na tumataba ka by mirrors or feeling ewan, eh di try mo mini cut para di ka ma off track o mabaliw sa nangyayari sayo hehe..

Hehe don't take my word, brah -science! hehe
    In the past three months from 88-90kg, naging 93-95kg ako pagpasok ng late Oct. tapos ngayon asa 96 to 98kg na napalo weight ko.
    Give or take on an empty stomach a weight gain of 13lbs over the course of 2 1/2 months.

Is this tooo faaaasttttttttt braaaaahsss?

Me. 10-13lb weight gain every 10-12wk program cycle. Heto todo-kain-times...
  • @Jettie, yun nga brah! Mag mimini cut nalang ako if ever fat boy feels na ako ulit. Sa ngayon bearable pa naman yung timbang sa scale at yung itsura sa salamin.

@Core, parehas pala tayo man. Sarap kasi kumain.
    High bar squatter ako, narrower than shoulder width toes pointing a bit outwards parang olympic squat ang itsura.
    Ito ako pinaka comfortable.
  • Langya itong days away from the gym and the MM's HQ.
    Ito mga nangyari while I was away.

Mom's house:
    Munched on 21 mini bars of 3 musketeers in one sitting 2000+ calories pucha.
    Breakfast buffet sa Something Fishy. Naka tatlong mounds ako ng scrambled eggs sa plato at 15 pieces ng french toast dumped with choco syrup dahil inisip ko kumain like George Leeman for once. Mejo naasar ako sa ambience ng place. Raming kiddies kasing edad ko looking incredibly stupid. Same reason ayaw ko natambay sa Vito Cruz haha
    Nag Zarks kami at naka dalawang burgers ako.
    May cupcakes rito sa ref at Waldorf salad binabanatan ko hangang ngayon.

1467252_698829030129699_681199040_n.jpg

988760_698829033463032_967494589_n.jpg

1474600_699089150103687_897348353_n.jpg

1469981_699089083437027_330867139_n.jpg

1488113_699089650103637_2025002681_n.jpg

1454549_699089353437000_1877295106_n.jpg

993437_699089126770356_314793737_n.jpg
  • Captain MM's Log, Stardate 309079.62027524103 (12/2/13)
    BW: 97kg(Oh noes. Might just be bloated from the 3 day eating trip.)

Today marks the 6th month of my friends and I's training.
    Here's to 6 more and 6 more after that!

Finally after tons of food being devoured by yours truly over the weekend got back to the MM HQ and resumed operations on getting on that 315 Back Squat.

Squat Day erriday.

270lbs
    x5
    x3
    x5
    x3
    x4
    x3
    x2
    = 25 total working reps.

I feel tighter under the bar but my elbows and upper back/traps become sore as a result of my very narrow grip. will take some getting used to.
    My form and confidence under heavy weight has gotten better.
    Crazy fatigued. I will try getting 3 sets of 270 the next time around.
    275 was my 1RM a month ago. I'm loving my progress. If only I can say the same with my bench
    *Only benches once a week crew*
    *Hates bench pressing crew*
    *Would rather max out on DL's than bench for reps crew*

Snatch
    100lbs
    3 sets of 3

Dimmel Deadlifts
    135lbs
    2 sets of 20

GM's
    135lbs
    3 sets of 5

random back shot.
    Something to look back(pun intended herpderp) to after another 6 months of training.
    k5j7.jpg
    MM out!
  • Captain MM's Log, Stardate 30912516.12691295 (12/3/13)
    BW: 95KG nice.

Mood: Low.

Bench Press
    155 x 5
    x4
    x1
    x4
    x1
    x3
    x2
    Got thrown off bench pressing in this gym rami kong kapitbahay pucha.
    People spot me on the first rep and 2 people came to the rescue when I was semi-grinding out the fifth rep of the 1st set. Which totally sucked since It's my first time trying to conquer 155 x 3 x 5
    People were watching me because of my PL arch and pausing for 2 seconds at the bottom. Fuarking sucks. Threw me off completely. If I got the 155x5 the first time I would've had the right state of mind and got it again and again. Damnit.

CGBP
    135x 2 x 5
    110x8

Barbell Rows
    110 x 8 x 3

Kroc Rows
    60 x 1 x 45

Tricep Pushdowns

100 x 3 x 8

Home

BB Bicep Curls 60lbs 3 x 8
    (I had a hard time doing curls HAHAHA. Weak biceps. It made me sweat like hell. Squatting would've been mentally easier.)

DB Pullovers 35lbs 3x12
    (HARD AS FUK.)

Gonna start implementing arm exercises on Bench Day and see what's up with it.
    Dan Green talks about every muscle needing to be strong to be strong so I will be paying more attention to my arms since it has been neglected specially my fatceps
    ever since having started training.
  • Tip ko sayo bro, bench around 50-70% of 155lbs. Then press it as explosive as possible (mala beyonce na sumasayaw, gets?) But dont go to failure. 3 reps short pwede na. Ganito...

BB BP (week 1&2)
    Set1: 50%
    Set2: 60%
    Set3: 70%
    Set4: 50%
    Set5: 60%
    Set6: 70%

Then do 3 sets DB presses (as heavy as you can to failure)

Bahala ka na sa ibang assistance after this :)
  • Boss Vinch! thanks for that. How long should I run that template before increasing the weight? I tatry ko yan for both Bench and OHP. both of these lifts are retarded pag ako nagbubuhat and fluctuates on how much I can lift depending on the day.
  • Week 3-4
    Set1-2: 60%
    Set3-4: 70%
    Set5: 80%

Week 5
    Set1: 60%
    Set2-3: 70%
    Set4: 90%
    Test: 160lbs x 5 reps up x 5 sets

Take note: dont go to failure and press like beyonce!

Ganun pa din yung assistance work every week.

Sa week 5 test you can go to failure.Wag mo muna intindihin yung pagincrease ng weight. Gawin mo muna yung 5 weeks then tsaka mo malalaman if kaya mo na TALAGA magincrease. Yung DB presses mo ang heavy lagi tapos submaximal lang yung BB BP kasi ang problem mo ay hindi strength kundi power output. Ang kelangan mo madevelop ay yung pag transfer ng force papunta sa bar by moving explosively. Para kasing instead na ipress mo yung bar pataas, e binabaon ka nung bigat ng weight sa bench.
  • allen101allen101 Posts: 5,102
    Ang napansin ko lang, yung big 4 mo mataas na talaga, hands down.
    Pero naiwan yata yung ibang lifts, halimbawa you could pull almost 400lbs sa DL (or more na ba?) pero yung db rows ay nasa 60lbs pa din, anyway assistance lang naman sila, ang goal talaga kung PL is to increase the big lifts.

Random thoughts lang haha!
  • @Allen
    Totoo man mejo frustrating nga. Nag wowonder rin ako hahaha.
    Ang hina ko sa lahat ng iso exercises rin 60lbs BB curl hirap na hirap na ako at pullovers hindi ko kaya gawin ng maayos.
    Yung rows hindi ko kaya mag BB rows ng mabigat for some reason. I am working on it hence doing the 110 earlier.
    kaya ko mag standing DB rows ng 100's for reps pero Kroc style.
    390 last max pull ko. Mejo nag bend knees ko on lock out so hindi counted para sakin.

@Boss Vinch

Sobrang PI! ang Galing mo! hahaha. Nag click sakin yung sinabi mo about strength not being the limiting factor kung hindi power output. How would DB presses help me with that? (I am not doubting I am just curious of the science behind it para ma recommend ko rin sa mga friends ko kasi kami lahat mahina mag bench )

Napansin ko rin na for example kaya ko mag bench ng 135 for 12 clean reps
    pero hindi ko kaya mag 5 reps sa 50's na dumbell or kung kaya man sobrang hirap and each rep is a nightmare.

Also. While running this should I still keep the 2 second pause at the bottom of each rep like I normally do?
    Or just explode up touch and go style?

I will run this 2-3x a week to get to 225 BP dahil for sure bukas makukuha ko na yung 315 back squat if things go well. Then shift my training towards getting a stronger bench naman. Then after that shift ulit papuntang a stronger mid 400's DL.

Yung bench day ko is like

Bench Press - CGBP - Lat Pulls - Rows - Facepulls
    Tapos most recently I add arm exercises.
    I will drop the CGBP and replace with the heavy DB pressing.

I will do it like you outlined for a cycle and if it works for me and it probably will, I will run it like crazy till I make it :D

Maraming salamat! Youzz aawzom.
  • DB will strengthen both limbs separately. kung dominant for example yung right side mo hindi mo yun gano mararamdaman with BB, with DB mas maiisolate mo yung both sides at equal distribution ng weight, force at balance. Another thing is sa BB pwede mo ipatong lang yung bar sa kamay mo then press. sa DB, you need to grip it with control, balance then push.

No pausing, TnG as explosive as possible! Pausing is like a Sumo wrestler pushing with his weight. TnG is more like a full speed NFL tackle. Who do you think is more deadly?

kalimutan mo muna yung 225lbs BP, make 155-160lbs feel easy first.

3x a week is too much, 2x pwede pa atleast 3 days apart.

Ang goal mo dito is not 225LBS but INCREASING PRESSING POWER. kalimutan mo na yung iconsistent BP performance mo, hindi na counted yun. It's not a gain if you can't keep it. start from scratch :)
  • riddlerriddler Posts: 1,018
    If I may add to vinch's suggestions, you can add floor presses to your repertoire. It's the same concept like box squats. You limit the range of motion on floor press (DB or BB would be good), rest and release tension a bit at the bottom, then explode pressing upwards. It helped me a lot on my pressing movements especially on lock out power output.