IIFYM thread

The reason why I can still eat burgers (big double to triple burgers), pasta, fries, pizza and my favorite of them all.. Ice cream! And still loose the fat.

IIFYM stands for If It Fits Your Macros
The word ‘Macro’ is short for Macro Nutrient, of which there are three plus 1 consideration:
-Protein
-Carbohydrates
-Fat
-Fiber is the 4th macro, though many in the nutrion community consier it a micro nutrient. For our purposes, fiber should be a major consideration when dieting, therfore we include it in with the other macros.

IIFYM speaks specifically to fat loss from a macro nutrition and thus a caloric stand point and is purely a means to improve body composition. IIFYM does not address health concerns of the heart, brain or other organs and does not put an emphasis on so called ‘healthy eating’. Regardless if you like to eat pizza, or boiled chicken breasts, IIFYM teaches us that if you eat less total calories than your body requires (while getting adequate protein, carbs and fat based on the needs of your own body) you will lose weight at a steady and predictable rate. IIFYM makes fat loss easy. All you have to do is stay within your daily macros and the fat will start melting off!

The Origins of IIFYM
IIFYM was haphazardly invented by a few competitive bodybuilders that grew tired of eating bland and boring food when dieting for a bodybuilding contest. The traditional bodybuilders diet is very plain, very tasteless and usually reduced to a handful of simple food options:
Chicken & turkey breast
White fish (grilled)
Steamed vegetables
Brown rice
Rice cakes
Oats or plain oatmeal
Protein Shakes
Egg whites

These are commonly referred to as ‘clean’ foods, and there are tons of them out there, all, equally flavorless and mundane. I am sure you can see how eating these things day after day, week after week for months on end would get extremely boring. Sure, the traditional bodybuilders diet has been getting athletes shredded for years, but it has also been making bodybuilders miserable for just as long. Thanks God for IIFYM!!

The athletes that came up with the IIFYM method of dieting did so for that exact reason. They were tired of eating the same tasteless things when dieting for a show.
They were sick of cutting out the food they enjoyed; the so called ‘dirty foods’.
An example of dirty foods, would be exactly what you are thinking right now. All the foods we love to eat:
Fast food
Fried chicken
Pizza
French fries
Cheesecake
Candy
Cookies
Buffalo Wings
All the good stuff that would surely wreck your diet if you even so much as thought about eating them. (or would they?!?!)

The IIFYM Connection
When most people start dieting the first thing they think is that they have to ‘clean up’ their diet. Perhaps they think that they need to start eating healthy or start eating ‘health food’ to lose weight. After all, we as a society have been brain washed for years about what is healthy, unhealthy, fattening, toning, good bad and everything in between.
Not so says IIFYM!
Eating clean, healthy food can certainly help you lose weight and burn fat, but there is no magical connection between ‘health food’ and weight loss.
The fat loss details are in the calories. Yup, calories. Something we all know about, but avoid like the plague.

See, eating clean accidentally causes fat loss. Here is why.
When we clean up our diets and pay no attention to calories, we automatically reduce our calorie intake.
Since our daily caloric intake accounts for the majority of body composition, it only makes sense that when we eat cleaner, we lose weight. Eating clean however is not the answer to fat loss, simply a trick or technique that helps those who don’t count calories, to lower them. The only problem is that when we eat clean and have no idea how many calories we are actually ingesting (let alone how many our body required) we end up starving ourselves, and line up our metabolism for a bounce back that is sure to have us putting on extra lbs. soon as we start eating normal again. And let’s face it, eating normal usually comes a lot sooner than we expect when eating nothing but boring diet foods.
Most people, whether they are athletes or couch potatoes know that the more you eat, the fatter you get.
And in that same line of thinking, the more ‘crap’ you eat, the faster you get fat as well.
The truth of IIFYM lies right in the middle of those two statements. MORE

Moving away from rabbit food
IIFYM teaches us that these so called ‘dirty’ foods are ok to eat as long as we stay within our own required calorie intake for the day.
What bodybuilders have known for years is that everyone is different. We all have different bodies, different metabolisms, different muscle mass and a hundred other thigns that set us apart from everyone else on this planet. This is where IIFYM shines. Rather than telling your how many calories you need based on your gender or even based on your weight loss goals, it looks at every person individually and tells them, with a made up stat of 95% certainty how many calories to eat.
IIFYM doesn’t care if you eat pizza, or chicken breast.
IIFYM doesn’t shame you if you chose ice cream over oatmeal.
Nor does IIFYM care how often you eat, or how many meals you eat in a day.

Eat the foods you love, stay within your own personal calorie range and shed weight now!

That is the basic idea behind IIFYM.
There is more to it but it really is quite simple.

Source : http://iifym.com/introduction-to-iifym/

So there, of course applicable din ito sa bulking, yung iba lang hindi yata gets yung idea ng IIFYM which is again, staying within your macro range.

PRO's and CON's
As per suggestion ni sir Braso here are my OWN pro's and con's ng IIFYM.
I'm no guru or whatsoever, ito lang ay base sa sariling observation at limited experience ko.

Pro's
*You could eat all the foods that you want
*No need to prepare your own food

Con's
*You need to carefully asses/count your macros or you might just end up outside your macros
Ex. Yes you can eat triple patty burgers or pizza but you should know how much you could consume in a day and adjust your other meals in accordance to your calorie needs
*It does not address health concerns
*You MAY not meet your micronutrients specially if you would eat at fastfood all day

Yan muna, feel free to add

Comments

• Mighty_OakMighty_Oak Posts: 3,940
    In before someone posts "eat clean".
  • daltonkamotedaltonkamote Posts: 3,629
    Sarap ng prito eh, pasok padin ang ckd lol, lalo na sa prito at burgers haha
  • allen101allen101 Posts: 5,102
    Huhugasan daw saka pakukuluan para siguradong "clean" ang kakainin hehehe
  • JettieJettie Posts: 3,763
    pasok prito sakin sa rest day hehehe the more prito the better! + bonus tip sa mayo load ni sir dalton hehe
  • BraSoBraSo Posts: 785
    it would be more of an interesting read for people new to iifym (and lazy to search) if the pro's and con's are included (coming or researched further from other advocates/renowned gurus/ etc).. just sayin'
    Good suggestion sir Braso. Will add that. Thanks!
  • StannisStannis Posts: 1,377
    May gumawa na ba nito habang nagcucut?
  • milksworthmilksworth Posts: 3,130
    ^stan i coudnt say na im cutting pero as o now i am retaining. pero i think its possible kung yun ang iniisip mo.
    Ok, salamat ng madami, basa basa muna. Wala pa namana akong planong magcut.
    @Stannis - Ako.
    Gantio din kasi halos ang ginawa ko nung 220lbs ako to 170lbs. Gusto ko lang sanang malaman kung may nakaabot ng 15% pababa na BF gamit to.

Pero palagay ko sa August pa ako mag cut haha
    15% BF.. pangarap ko maabot yan hahahahaha
  • ot3pch4not3pch4n Posts: 134
    I'm giving this a try :P
  • YatezYatez Posts: 2,745
    This is what i'm currently doing, though you have to be precise in counting your macros
    Hindi ko na ginagawa ito ngayon,iba pa din talaga kapag planado na ang meal ahead.
    Week ahead pa lang kalkulado macro since I eat the same shit.
    Lalo na sa katawan ko, bilis tumaba. But for those who want to pursue this go and enjoy the journey.
    calorie counting applications helps a lot when eating out though it is really not that exact since the foods listed their are commonly american serving sizes but atleast you will get a rough estimate, though i still manually calculate and as much as possible eat home cooked meals to be more precise. Though i weighed the BK Whopper it had the same weight with the U.S. servings same as Sbarro's stuffed pizzas so they're safe bets.
    Like I said, I used to follow this pero hindi ganun kaganda results sakin compared nung planado meal plan ko.
    For me, naging excuse ko lang ito para hindi mgluto. Andali kumaen sa labas e.
    Pero mas magastos. Individual preference ito. I'm not talking about the weight of the food, I'm talking about the c-p-f ratio. Kung maganda results sa inyo by all means go hehe.
  • siguro sir, ayos to sa mga hard gainer kasi mahirap talaga silang lumaki. So kahit ano kinakain nila.
    Tulad ko po I'm running also kaya minsan feeling ko kahit ano kainin ko as long as it fits my macro especially Protein kinakain ko, tapos itatakbo ko na lang para ma-burn. Hindi nman din kasi ako mabilis tumaba hehe
  • badass_vinchbadass_vinch Posts: 4,471
    Ginagamit lang to for emergency para sakin. Kunwari napanis yung baon mo hanap ka ng alternative food with the same macro composition. Kung wala ka naman plan, bakit magfifit ka pa. :) kain lang ng kain hehe
  • ot3pch4not3pch4n Posts: 134
    I use MFP daily. Wala naman akong plano magkakain sa labas. Dati kasi wala akong pakialam sa macros basta ma-meet ko lang ang daily calorie goals ko, which was wrong.
    well sakin hindi ko masabing effective or not since I don't count my calories, kasi halos pare-parehas na kinakain ko sa araw araw..

from 300-500g+ chicken breast.
    from 150-200g pork
    fruits not counting it since 2 pcs lang halos
    veggies unli

Tapos sa labas since no baon mode, 100g lang para sakin yung standard chicken na binebenta sa labas, syempre naproseso na yun.

siguro mabilis at maganda result ng cut ko pag strict counting ako over IIFYM
    Just be sure to hit protein and fat minimums sir :) as for the rule 0.84 x bodyweight = protein minimums and 0.45 x bodyweight = fat minimums, well it still depends on your body's feel just a guideline though i know someone who uses iifym and is REALLY successful with it.IIFYM is not a diet it's more of a principle and in a way everyone of us is doing it, specially those who count macro per macro whether your doing IF or whatever diet protocol.
    guidline ko about my protein in take is atleast ma hit ko yung bodyweight ko pero madalas over pa since I am just 127 lbs. Ginagawa ko sa ngayon since wala ako supps, 160 max na or swerte na kung sumobra pa ng 180g of protein.

I am using the standard 20g protein per 100g of lean meat ( chicken, lean meat pork )
    For the eggs, mostly the large one is 6g 5f
    Fats ng manok, di ko na masyado binibilang since may allowance akong 60g ata
    For my carbs as long as nasa 1lb per bodyweight ako good na ko or pagsosobra 200g oks na since I'm on a cut.

That's on my caloric surplus workout days.

Yung rest days ko naman, always same protein per grams 130-160g, tapos fat ko minsan 90g pa tapos carbs, traces na lang ng gulay at prutas.

Like on this one.. 110g pork adobo sya, removed the fats but kinain ko pa rin hehehe.

i73mvc.jpg
    Yep i myself go over 200g it's matter of preference better to go over than under when it comes to protein anyways, haha shet nag crave ako adobo bigla, adobo republic unli rice!