Intermittent Fasting for Muscle Gain and Fat Loss

I have been researching about Intermittent Fasting. According to the articles I have read, this can be used by bodybuilders and can be maintained as a part of your lifestyle. Basically, an IF program consists of 2 or 3 meals per day depending on the goals

I know many of you will be surprised that this comes from me who is an advocate of 5 to 6 meals a day

Anyway, share your IF programs that gave you desired results. There are various ways for an IF program but I think I will try Martin Berkhan's once I fully understood the principles

Comments

• nrg500nrg500 Posts: 1,233
    == ==

According to Martin Berkhan's program, a fasted training (training on an empty stomach) should be done but 10 grams of BCAA (Branched-chain Amino Acid) should be taken 15 minutes prior to the workout

Where can I buy BCAA supplements here in the Philippines ? Is ProMatrix7 a BCAA ?
  • milksworthmilksworth Posts: 3,130
    i have a friend from the other forum whose doing this type of dieting and training! seems like its working for him and hes got the hang of it.
    ^

I think Heretic is also doing IF
    == == ==

I will be doing IF starting tonight around 9PM

Feeding will start tomorrow 1PM thru 9PM
  • ronaldronald Posts: 124
    pnu po b yn intermittent fasting?
  • monching11monching11 Posts: 7,273
    This is interesting!
  • SkkinSkkin Posts: 870
    monching11 wrote:
    This is interesting!

agree hehe more details mga sir

Go to

http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

The details are there

It is a blog site of Martin Berkhan

He is a proponent of Intermittent Fasting. Damn, that guy can maintain 3% to 5% body fat for years but he's an endomorph

It seems like he made body types insignificant

But here are the basics.

16 hours fasting then 8 hours feeding

fasting starts at 9PM then ends at 1PM of the next day. feeding is 1PM to 9PM

training is done fasted but you will need to take 10 grams of BCAA (branched chain amino acids)
  • HereticHeretic Posts: 78
    ^This is my late response to your post in the other thread lol. I've been very busy lately organizing our company outing.

Intermittent fasting is generally a concept of following an alternating time frame for fasting and feeding. Among the most popular IF programs include:

Eat, Stop, Eat: (24 hours of fasting 1-2x a week)
    The Wariors Diet: 20/4 (20 hours fasting, 4 hours feeding)
    The Fast-5 Diet: 19/5 (19 hours fasting, 5 hours feeding)
    Leangains: 16/8 (16 hours fasting, 8 hours feeding)

For the purpose of staying on topic and in response to nrg500's question to me in his other thread, I'll talk about Martin Berkhan's Leangains.

As mentioned above, a 16-hour time frame for fasting is followed by an 8-hour feeding period. The larger feeding period lets an individual consume his required number of calories without exceeding it; a good compromise, if you will, compared to the other fasting methods. It is highly recommended for around half of the fasting period to be done while at sleep and upon waking up. An individual who sleeps 7-10 hours a day can easily stave off more than a half of fasting hours. A typical 8-hour feeding rate can be comprised of 3 meals with your post-workout meal taking the brunt of your calorie needs. The Leangains approach lets you keep muscle mass, and in some cases even gain some despite losing body fat.

For someone with a day job who chooses to workout at night, it can go like this:

12-1 PM or around lunch/noon: Meal one. Approximately 20-25% of daily total calorie intake.
    4-5 PM: Pre-workout meal. Roughly equal to the first meal.
    7-8 PM: Workout
    8-9 PM: Post-workout meal (largest meal).

I cannot follow the above routine as I'm very busy in the office. The last thing I want is to be lethargic while in a meeting with a company Principal lol. In my case:

7-8 AM: Meal one
    11 AM -12 PM: Workout
    12-1 PM: Meal two
    3-4 PM: Meal three
    4 PM - 7/8AM: fast

Exceeding an hour, maybe even a couple especially for those with hectic schedules is fine so adjust things accordingly with regard to your working hours and gym time.

It is important to note though, that 8 hours of feeding time can be very short for some people. Aspiring mass monsters like Milksworth and Redwarriors may find it hard to add significant bulk with such a narrow time to eat. Athletes who train multiple times a day may find fasted training a pain in the ass even with the consumption of BCAAs. In my experience, fasted training affects strength-endurance and overall explosiveness. Hardgainers like Rrobin and Monching may also find it difficult to gain significant mass within an 8-hour feeding frame as there's only so much calories that an individual can stuff in just one sitting.

Just want to share my experience on the 16 hours of fasting

I didn't feel really weak but I can feel that I am hungry

I tried doing 3 sets of 12 reps of regular push ups and 3 sets of 12 reps of elevated push ups (feet are raised by 1.5 feet)

I was able to complete the 3 sets of regular push ups but I was only able to make 10 reps on the last set for the elevated push up

Rest between sets is around 60 seconds

My current body weight is 80.2 kg. Bench press capacity (before injury) was 120 lbs
    == == ==

Here is my progress

Still no weight training coz of injury

10ynz7n.jpg
  • HereticHeretic Posts: 78
    +-3lbs of fat loss from 4/8/2011? Nice.
  • monching11monching11 Posts: 7,273
    waw ayus a! itemized lahat ehehehe
    Martin Berkhan is right

You won't lose muscle if you fast for 16 hours. It shows on my results posted in the first page

According to him, you will only lose muscle after 24 hours of fasting
    Just wanna share my experience with fasted training

Here is my training session

Inclined Bench Press - 100 lbs - 2 sets of 8 reps
    Declined Bench Press - 100 lbs - 2 sets of 8 reps
    Flat Bench Press - 100 lbs - 1 set of 6 reps
    Dumbbell Overhead Press - 25 lbs - 2 sets of 12 reps
    Dumbbell Side Laterals - 15 lbs - 1 set of 8 reps
    Leg Raises (Captain's Chair) - 3 sets of 12 reps

I was able to complete the session but I had a problem with the chest exercises

After the Inclined Bench and Declined Bench, I loaded 120 lbs for the Flat Bench coz I know this is my current strength level. When I tried to lift the barbell from the rack, it felt like it was glued. I can't even lift it by an inch. I reduced it 100 lbs but the first set felt so heavy already and I was only able to do 6 reps

I think taking only 10 grams of BCAA won't allow me to do 3 chest exercises.

But I really need to try this fasted training approach

Flat Bench
    Inclined Bench
    Declined Bench

^ If you only have to choose two, which one will you remove from your program ?
  • SkkinSkkin Posts: 870
    Declined
  • cheesecakecheesecake Posts: 110
    fasting isn't for everyone. it works for some, it works for others, might not work for you. if you feel like fainting or you feel BETTER when you train with food in your body, then train with food in your body. its not what goes by the book, it's what works best for you.
    I didn't feel weak or felt like fainting when doing the sets. The other exercises was fine. My Inclined Bench Press even improved and I am seeing fat reduction in the mid section

I will try to remove the Declined Bench Press for my next session

It is too early to tell that IF won't work for me

I'll update this thread regularly with my results

• Mighty_OakMighty_Oak Posts: 3,940
    ^Don't forget to mention that you must hit your daily calorie intake and your macro's during the 8 hr. re-feed.