Squat Plateau?

I had been using the SL 5x5 for 2 months now and I tried to do a 220lbs squat just now and I just could't finish it on my 1st set.

I weigh 155lbs at 5'5".

Any tips how to increase strength? I want to finish the program at 260lbs squat before I move to another program which is the 3x5.

StrongLifts 5x5
StrongLifts 3x5
StrongLifts 1x5
Madcow 5x5
StrongLifts 5x5 Advanced

Comments

• 220lbs in 2months for squats? i'd say that is already a good kind of progress. you cannot actually rush things sa progress once you reach in lifting your own BW in the main lifts. though to answer your question you can drop your poundage (around 10-20% of your current max) then add every week smaller increments (5-10lbs) then work your way up again check again you calorie intake you might be eating way too less. if it still doesn't pan-out you may opt to add assistance exercises but before you do that you will need to know w/c part of the movement you're actually having a problem so that you can use an assistance workout that will correct/help that deficiency.
  • Mighty_OakMighty_Oak Posts: 3,940
    Progression won't be linear as you start to lift heavier weights. How I wish that was the case. You have to start tweaking your program, add calories and know what area/body part your weak at to improve on that lift.
  • Thanks bro. Yup, I think am eating way too less. I am following IF 8/16 and sometimes I just eat only once a day and not meet the calories I need in one sitting.

I will take your advice and eat more then hopefully that would bring in some added strength.@Mighty

Thank you. Yes, I will do that. I am weak at standing overhead presses which is currently at 110lbs and my squat now is just at 215lbs since I failed to complete the 220lbs earlier.

Will really have to increase on calorie intake this week to meet it. My main diet for the 2 months was mostly protein. I just increased my carb intake this week and started to eat brown rice again.
    That's the way to go. Eat plenty to lift heavy!
  • Yup, learning curve :)

@Mighty I remember I had a problem with my bench press before when i was just starting a couple of months ago since my triceps really hurt when going above 90lbs and you told me to widen up my grip which I did. I can easily do 150lbs now hopefully at 190lbs when I finish the 5x5 program. Not sure if I thanked you but thanks! That was the most effective tip I got from bench pressing among others.
  • monching11monching11 Posts: 7,273
    Problem ko din sa IF di ko name-meet calories ko kasi I can only stuff so much food in my face on one sitting :(
  • acidoacido Posts: 336
    From what i know sa strong lifts pag di mo na finish yung 5 x 5. you can try again with the same weights for up to 2 times pag ayaw parin deload by a few percent 10% ba? then increments ulit more like deload muna.
    Yup, learning curve :)

@Mighty I remember I had a problem with my bench press before when i was just starting a couple of months ago since my triceps really hurt when going above 90lbs and you told me to widen up my grip which I did. I can easily do 150lbs now hopefully at 190lbs when I finish the 5x5 program. Not sure if I thanked you but thanks! That was the most effective tip I got from bench pressing among others.

No prob Bro, but be careful with the wide grip now that you're pressing heavier weights since it might ruin your shoulders this time. Try a neutral grip if your tri's has been healed and see how it feels.
  • yep deloading talaga is one of the ways to break a plateau kahit saang program. sometimes nadadala din sa assistance, sometimes even overloading.
    monching11 wrote:
    Problem ko din sa IF di ko name-meet calories ko kasi I can only stuff so much food in my face on one sitting :(

Sanayan lang Bro ganyan din ako sa una. But now panis ang 1k cal per meal! hehe
  • I tweaked my program as you guys suggested and shifted to 3x5. Now I can do the 220lbs squat.

I also met my calories today so I think that helped a lot.

Now that I'm doing the 3x5 on squat, should I shift all my workouts like my bench press to 3x5 as well? I'm still strong with my BP at 5x5 and I think I can make it to 180lbs with that program.
    Don't fix if it ain't broke. Stick with it until you plateau once again.
  • Thanks. Will continue on the 5x5 on my other workouts until I plateau.

Might also just de-load on my squat still doing 5x5 instead of just doing the 3x5 at 220lbs since my workout earlier really hurt my back. Will revert to 200lbs 5x5 and maintain good form working my way up.

Thanks for the valuable tip guys!
    Use your legs to push the ground during deadlift to pull the weight and not your back. That's how you lessen the risk of lower back injuries while doing DL and do it as explosive as possible.
  • jcumali008jcumali008 Posts: 1,090
    Mighty_Oak wrote:
    Use your legs to push the ground during deadlift to pull the weight and not your back. That's how you lessen the risk of lower back injuries while doing DL and do it as explosive as possible.

so sir might does it means kelangan mabilis pag pulling na?
  • actually JC dpat mabilis talaga ang "take off" ng weights from the ground para iwas sa lower back injury.
  • jcumali008jcumali008 Posts: 1,090
    actually JC dpat mabilis talaga ang "take off" ng weights from the ground para iwas sa lower back injury.

noted sir DS..