I can't gain weight!!!

Hey guys, a newbie in bodybuilding here about 2 months.

I have been trying to gain weight since I started bodybuilding 2 months ago but nothing seems to happen. I'm stuck at 140 to 142lbs and I have been following the diet program of Jim Stoppani http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/shortcut-to-size-nutrition.html though I do veer away from it sometimes.

I did some research and I think I am a mesomorph since I do not recall my body ever being too thin or too fat. Always just in the middle. My metabolism is insanely fast. Even when I was eating fatty and unhealthy foods, the only fat I got was in my belly.

What program is best for me? My goal is for lean muscles.

I'm 5'5" at 141lbs currently.

Comments

• hi sean,
    I saw Jim's program in BB.com too. it was good and I myself tried his routine (Microcycles) before. I was not able to complete it thou, due to some events. but surely that is one hell of a workout and it gives good results.

Anyway,my advise to you is for you to constantly check your Body composition, get figures of your metabolic age so you can adjust your food intake without being bothered that you're eating too much. Check your BMI too, Fat percentage and Muscle Mass % too to know if what muscles are responding to your exercises. check your visceral fat too if you want to achieve that washboard abs.

Watch SMDMN Fitness 360 - he stated that exercises needs to vary from 1 person to another so you can get the real effect of working out. Rule: What may work for me may not work for you.

Muscles respond differently per individual. try different exercises and if you feel swollen the same day,then it may mean that its the exercise for you. whats important is still the FORM and POSTURE. dont lift weigths that sacrifies your form, you'll just risk yourself being injured.

start with the basic. I suggest Free weights so you can work on your balance too - Barbells (BB), dumbells (DB) and your body weight (BW).

Chest - Flat BB/DB presses, Inclined BB/DB presses, declined BB presses, Inclined flies, Flat Flies. Dips(BW) (don't do all of this at the same time - just choose what gives you the rip)

Biceps - Standing alternate DB Curls, Standing BB curls, concentration curls, preacher curls, Standing Hammer, DB curls to opposite shoulder ( again - don't do all of this at the same time - just choose what gives you the rip)

Triceps - standing DB One arm tricep extensions, Skullcrushers,Kickbacks, cable Rope extensions, Cable V bar pull down

Shoulders - Military presses, arnold presses, side lateral raises, Front raises, Bent over raises, High Cable Rear Delt Flyes, Dumbbell Shrug

Again - don't do all of this at the same time - just choose what gives you the rip

Hope these all comes in handy
  • seanzyvilleseanzyville Posts: 122
    JC Gabriel wrote:
    hi sean,
    I saw Jim's program in BB.com too. it was good and I myself tried his routine (Microcycles) before. I was not able to complete it thou, due to some events. but surely that is one hell of a workout and it gives good results.

Anyway,my advise to you is for you to constantly check your Body composition, get figures of your metabolic age so you can adjust your food intake without being bothered that you're eating too much. Check your BMI too, Fat percentage and Muscle Mass % too to know if what muscles are responding to your exercises. check your visceral fat too if you want to achieve that washboard abs.

Watch SMDMN Fitness 360 - he stated that exercises needs to vary from 1 person to another so you can get the real effect of working out. Rule: What may work for me may not work for you.

Muscles respond differently per individual. try different exercises and if you feel swollen the same day,then it may mean that its the exercise for you. whats important is still the FORM and POSTURE. dont lift weigths that sacrifies your form, you'll just risk yourself being injured.

start with the basic. I suggest Free weights so you can work on your balance too - Barbells (BB), dumbells (DB) and your body weight (BW).

Chest - Flat BB/DB presses, Inclined BB/DB presses, declined BB presses, Inclined flies, Flat Flies. Dips(BW) (don't do all of this at the same time - just choose what gives you the rip)

Biceps - Standing alternate DB Curls, Standing BB curls, concentration curls, preacher curls, Standing Hammer, DB curls to opposite shoulder ( again - don't do all of this at the same time - just choose what gives you the rip)

Triceps - standing DB One arm tricep extensions, Skullcrushers,Kickbacks, cable Rope extensions, Cable V bar pull down

Shoulders - Military presses, arnold presses, side lateral raises, Front raises, Bent over raises, High Cable Rear Delt Flyes, Dumbbell Shrug

Again - don't do all of this at the same time - just choose what gives you the rip

Hope these all comes in handy

Thank bro! very insightful tips!

Yup, most of the exercises you mentioned are part of Jim's as well. I'm near Phase 3 of Jim's program which is the last one.

Your tips reinforces me to just finish the microcycle program and see what happens. I have a feeling I am not getting enough calories. I need to get 2300 calories per day based on the body building calculator http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calculators.htm

I am upping my intake of food and see what happens.

Thanks for the tips bro!

• Mighty_OakMighty_Oak Posts: 3,940
    JC Gabriel wrote:
    Check your BMI too, Fat percentage and Muscle Mass % too to know if what muscles are responding to your exercises.

Can you tell me how you would go about this?
    JC Gabriel wrote:

Squats, Deadlift, Bench and Military Press. These 4 big lifts should be done by everyone and I assure you these will work!
    JC Gabriel wrote:
    Muscles respond differently per individual. try different exercises and if you feel swollen the same day,then it may mean that its the exercise for you.

DOMS is not the gauge of the effectivity of an exercise.
    JC Gabriel wrote:
    whats important is still the FORM and POSTURE. dont lift weigths that sacrifies your form, you'll just risk yourself being injured.

Agree.
    JC Gabriel wrote:

Getting ripped is denpendent on you nutrition and calorie intake if you're in a deficit. This is an absulote truth.

I am thinking of getting a mass gainer supplement. Do they really work? Whats a good brand? Thanks!
  • DSmallDivideDSmallDivide Posts: 4,565
    anu po ba goal mo sir sean? bulk up ba?
    anu po ba goal mo sir sean? bulk up ba?

I'm 5'5" at 143lbs. My goal is for lean muscles but I think I need to reach 150lbs to have a proportionate body. Am I on the right track of gaining mass first before cutting?
    tama naman if we base it dun sa pics sa journal mo, you need more lean mass before you go through "cutting". About sa question mo sa gainers ok lang din naman sya gamitin for gaining mass, pero IMHO i think you'll be better off eating whole foods for now. mahirap kasi na right off the bat eh supplementation na lang ang nasa isip mo as an easy fix sa weight gaining. Second, putting decent lean mass in someone's frame doesn't take weeks, it takes months even years. i hate to break it to you sir but it seems to me that your "kind of" rushing to gain weight. don't get me wrong ha, All i'm saying is that take your time in "building foundations" in your body. wag magmadali sa results be consistent lang and be patient. darating ka din dun sa goals mo. just my 2 cents :smile:
    tama naman if we base it dun sa pics sa journal mo, you need more lean mass before you go through "cutting". About sa question mo sa gainers ok lang din naman sya gamitin for gaining mass, pero IMHO i think you'll be better off eating whole foods for now. mahirap kasi na right off the bat eh supplementation na lang ang nasa isip mo as an easy fix sa weight gaining. Second, putting decent lean mass in someone's frame doesn't take weeks, it takes months even years. i hate to break it to you sir but it seems to me that your "kind of" rushing to gain weight. don't get me wrong ha, All i'm saying is that take your time in "building foundations" in your body. wag magmadali sa results be consistent lang and be patient. darating ka din dun sa goals mo. just my 2 cents :smile:

Yes, I just want to maximize my efforts.

What I'm thinking is eating whole foods as much as I can but drinking mass gainers in between just to reach my calories which is around 2300 based on bodybuilding.com calculator. There are just some days that my appetite is not working with me. I need more practice on shoving food up my mouth with or without appetite.

At 5'5" my goal is to reach 150lbs (is that enough?)
    Gainers are ok as i have mentioned in my last post, the decision of taking them would be up to you. IMO you'll still be fine even at 160 but to be safe, do a "mirror check" once you have reached 150 if you think its still not enough, bulk up more. if you think you are ready to undergo cutting then may go ahead and do so.
  • sergieeesergieee Posts: 656
    ako din sir i'm gonna buy mass gainer later kasi di ko macover-up calories ko in a day. target ko is 2700-3k busy kasi sa school at unhealthy foods mga nasa labas. if kaya niyo naman i-cover ng by foods lang, yun nalang. mas masarap pa. hehe

we have the same weight and height sir. tingin ko pag 160 na tayo tas cut pang bb-er na :D

my long term goal: reach 160 till december then cut january to summer
    my short term: reach 150 then deficit (not that tuyo but as low as 10%) gusto ko lang makita katawan ko na medyo lean.
    Gainers are ok as i have mentioned in my last post, the decision of taking them would be up to you. IMO you'll still be fine even at 160 but to be safe, do a "mirror check" once you have reached 150 if you think its still not enough, bulk up more. if you think you are ready to undergo cutting then may go ahead and do so.

Thanks bro!

Noob question. Cutting and bulking is determined on calorie intake and nutrition right?
    mainly yes, though there is a bit of contributing factor din sa resting habits, when we usually don't get "sufficient" rest/sleep we tend to get stressed and stress is one of the things you will never want coz it will interfere w/ your goals fo sure. :smile:oh and before i completely forget, the type of training also has a contributing factor when cutting/bulking you need to lift as heavy as you can regardless if your bulking/cutting why? for the case of bulking of course to maximize the muscle stimulus to promote protein synthesis (muscle buidling), for cutting, for its "muscle sparing" purpose.
  • bardagulbardagul Posts: 658
    nag pa checkup ka na ba sa endocrinologist?
    bardagul wrote:
    nag pa checkup ka na ba sa endocrinologist?

Nope. But I had a checkup before with a general practitioner and did some tests on my urine and blood for diabetes and hypertension. Both came up normal.

I just started to force food into my mouth last week and my weight just skyrocketed. I was 141lbs then, now im about 147.5lbs which is really. I also bought ON Serious Mass just yesterday just to help further in my mass gaining efforts. It is kinda hard to drink at one time, I'll just have to force it again into me. I'm also taking creatine which could have also increased my weight.

Is it normal for someone to gain 6.5lbs in a week?
  • ProlevelzProlevelz Posts: 1,162
    dito sir basa ka dito.... Click here
    Posted in this thread:
    http://pinoybodybuilding.com/forum/Thread-the-truth-about-bulking
    Prolevelz wrote:
    dito sir basa ka dito.... Click here
    Posted in this thread:
    http://pinoybodybuilding.com/forum/Thread-the-truth-about-bulking

Thanks sa article. Buti na lang i'm very particular on the food I eat.

I did notice na after taking SM, my belly bulges hehe. To compensate for the fat I will gain, I will just have to not miss my HIIT workout days which I sometimes neglect and just rest.

I need to up my target weight from 150lbs to 160lbs. I currently at 148lbs.
  • stonecoldstonecold Posts: 4
    Hi sean actually you don't have diet plan that' s why you could gain weight ...... Do you use supplements or not because main issue is to gain weight to use protein, vitamins and you will better know that bodybuilding requires a lot of healthy food and i also suggest that meet your doctor because every body shape has different Metabolism rate that's why you will try to gain your body but in vain therefore i suggest you meet your doctor immediately and act your doctor's food plan .
  • kambikambi Posts: 3
    I think supplement may bad impact on your body,supplement have a lot of energy which your weight is increased...mt suggestion to you intake your balance diet..........omega3 is best for you

• daltonkamotedaltonkamote Posts: 3,629
    kambi wrote:
    I think supplement may bad impact on your body,supplement have a lot of energy which your weight is increased...mt suggestion to you intake your balance diet..........omega3 is best for you

sumakit bangs ko dito,
  • XbrainXgainXbrainXgain Posts: 818
    :biggrin:
  • arwin0609arwin0609 Posts: 984
    :duh::duh:
  • XbrainXgainXbrainXgain Posts: 818
    arwin0609 wrote:
    :duh::duh:

Angas niyan ah! Meron pa palang simleys! :banghead: hahaha!