nbok's Journey

(Last Update: September 26, 2013)

I've decided to create a journal here on PBB because the community seems to be very friendly and supportive which I really like.

My personal journey started just this year when 2013 began. I was chubby and a bit overweight (over 160 lbs by my estimation) but I never got really huge despite my unhealthy eating habits (probably genetics?).

Over the past years, i've tried several ways to lose weight like joining Gold's Gym (2006-2007), Meal-replacement Shakes (2010) and several other half-assed methods to make myself slimmer with varying levels of failure/success but I never had the knowledge/motivation to maintain a healthy/fit lifestyle.

Come 2013 and just reached 30 years old, I decided that enough is enough. I did a major change with my eating habits (no more junk foods, etc) but I wasn't really getting any good results. :banghead:

Back in June 2013, I finally did a ton of research and came up with the knowledge of calorie counting and the significance of exercise programs. That was when I was finally started to get the discipline for a daily workout regime and a streamlined meal plan.

I was able to drop down to 130ish lbs in just a couple of months which surprised a lot of my colleagues because I looked significantly thinner.

But there was one comment that I really did not like: :duh:
Di bagay sayo ang sobrang payat!

Yes, I was thinner but I was scrawny. That was when I decided I needed to push for more. To gain muscle mass and to start delving into the world of body building. :sport:

Current Equipment:
15 lbs dumbbell pair
Push Up bar
Pull Up bar
HRM
Planning to buy 40 lbs dumbbell pair for home workouts

CONTINUED LATER

Comments

• allen101allen101 Posts: 5,102
    Welcome!
  • riddlerriddler Posts: 1,018
    Goodluck on your journey man!

Remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint. You will need a lot of PATIENCE, PERSISTENCE and PERSEVERANCE. Ngayon pa lang umpisahan mo na mag-imbak niyan. Hehehe!
  • nboksnboks Posts: 22
    riddler wrote:
    Goodluck on your journey man!

Remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint. You will need a lot of PATIENCE, PERSISTENCE and PERSEVERANCE. Ngayon pa lang umpisahan mo na mag-imbak niyan. Hehehe!

Thank you very much! I'm prepared to take this for the long haul but my main concern about the Marathon is if i'm "running" correctly.
  • YatezYatez Posts: 2,745
    Tamang knowledge, consistency at management lang boss kaya mo yan
  • Welcome bro!
  • JettieJettie Posts: 3,763
    welcome brah!
    Planning to go to gym tomorrow to get my 10 rep Max per exercise in the Allpro beginner's program:

Squats
    Bench Presses
    Bent-Over Rows
    Overhead Barbell Presses
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    Calf Raises

Question is if I should still buy the 40lb dumbbell pair for home exercises. The Allpro program specifically mentioned not to add extra exercises unless I completed at least 3 cycles (15 weeks?).
  • Have you tried doing conventional deadlifts? Try it out sir. Pretty taxing stuff.

How about buying a barbell bar or two dumbell handles and stocking up on plates instead?
    If you want to get big..

Add

Squats
    Deadlifts
    BP
    OHP

Why ? It's for GH daw...( ask sir vinch and sir big dawg about it haha )
  • Growth hormones!!!! MAKING ALLL KINDZZZ OF GAAAIANZZ!!! OT sorry haha.
    i'm thinking of following All Pro's beginner routine religiously at first (3 cycles/15 weeks) before I add to it with extra lifts but like sir Jettie said, the routine already includes bp, squats, etc.

btw, im thinking of doing P90X (evenings before work 6x a week) consecutively with the All Pro routine (morning after work 3x a week). I'm just thinkin that since the 1st two cycles of All Pro tend to be easy, maybe I can do it together with P90X so that I can simply finish the program.

Is that good or too taxing for the body?
  • riddlerriddler Posts: 1,018
    Pick one, stick with it. More workout doesn't necessarily equate to more gains unless you have a high calorie meal plan, at least 3k-5k calories daily (P90X challenges/taxes your energy systems too much), and of course a great recovery plan (less stress - work/personal, more sleep, soft tissue maintenance etc).

For building muscles, LESS IS MORE (3-4 times high intensity workout weekly), especially for us mere mortals. Now if you are an ELITE ATHLETE, it's a different story, so go on, be my guest. :tongue:
    UPDATE:

I'm starting on Cycle 3 of All Pro Strength training. So basically nasa week 11 na ako ever since I started doing an actual lifting program sa Gym.

I'm posting here hoping to get corrective advise on my weight increase (new cycle means 10% increase) since I previously didn't take into account the Bar weights.

Here's the workout program that I'm following and my current max weight limit for Cycle 3 Week 1 Day 1(heavy day)

Squats - 100 lbs (using Smith Machine) + 10% = ? lbs x 8 reps
    Barbell Bench Press - 65 lbs (using Long bar ) + 10% = ? lbs x 8 reps
    Bent Over Barbell Rows - 50 lbs (using short curl bars) + 10% = ? lbs x 8 reps
    Overhead Shoulder Press - 45 lbs (using short curl bars) + 10% = ? lbs x 8 reps
    Stiff-Legged Dead Lifts - 100 lbs (using Long bar) + 10% = ? lbs x 8 reps
    Barbell Curls - 35 lbs (using short curl bars) + 10% = ? lbs x 8 reps
    Calf Raises - 150 lbs (using Calf raise machine) + 10% = ? lbs x 8 reps

If anyone would be willing to help me figure out my next weight limit. I would really appreciate it. Thank you
    Uh multiply by 0.1 then add it to your weight listed?

example N = (150)(0.1) = 15. 150 + N = ?
    150 + 15 = 165
    Yatez wrote:
    Uh multiply by 0.1 then add it to your weight listed?

example N = (150)(0.1) = 15. 150 + N = ?
    150 + 15 = 165

oh sorry medyo malabo lang., hindi ko kasi alam yung weight nung curl bar, long bar and how much to compensate for the smith and calf machine. madali lang +10% but not sure kasi kung ilan pa ung kulang
  • kopikopi Posts: 690
    Welcome sir!
    Are you still doing home workouts o nag gym ka na?
    nboks wrote:
    UPDATE:

I'm starting on Cycle 3 of All Pro Strength training. So basically nasa week 11 na ako ever since I started doing an actual lifting program sa Gym.

I'm posting here hoping to get corrective advise on my weight increase (new cycle means 10% increase) since I previously didn't take into account the Bar weights.

Here's the workout program that I'm following and my current max weight limit for Cycle 3 Week 1 Day 1(heavy day)

Squats - 100 lbs (using Smith Machine) + 10% = ? lbs x 8 reps
    Barbell Bench Press - 65 lbs (using Long bar ) + 10% = ? lbs x 8 reps
    Bent Over Barbell Rows - 50 lbs (using short curl bars) + 10% = ? lbs x 8 reps
    Overhead Shoulder Press - 45 lbs (using short curl bars) + 10% = ? lbs x 8 reps
    Stiff-Legged Dead Lifts - 100 lbs (using Long bar) + 10% = ? lbs x 8 reps
    Barbell Curls - 35 lbs (using short curl bars) + 10% = ? lbs x 8 reps
    Calf Raises - 150 lbs (using Calf raise machine) + 10% = ? lbs x 8 reps

If anyone would be willing to help me figure out my next weight limit. I would really appreciate it. Thank you

Hmm, ndi ko alam ah, nung bago kasi ako hindi ako umaasa sa mga percentage na nakalagay sa net kung ilan iincrease ko.
    Although ok na guide yan, ikaw at ikaw pa din makaka'alam kung ilan ang kaya mo iincrease. Isa pa week by week hindi naman pare pareho lakas natin, may araw na malakas tayo, may araw na hindi, depende sa kondisyon mo at ibang activities na ginagawa mo aside from lifting.

Just MY opinion
    1/12/2013 Update:
    Tuluy-tuloy pa rin ang workout! Cycle 4 na ako next week for my program (All Pro's beginner routine), hopefully mapass ko most ng lifts tomorrow.
    So far, wala pa rin noticeable gainz sa akin although sabi ng officemate ko lumaki daw ung chest ko ng kaunti. Medyo naggain ako around 7-9 pounds within 3 cycles (15 weeks) so i'm not sure kung puro fats lang ba yun or meron kaunting muscle (sana man lang :/)

BTW Dumaan ako earlier sa Cash an Carry Mall para magsupplement shopping! I was thinking baka mas makatulong ang more supplements para makita ko man lang ung kauntin gainz bago magsimula ang swimming season.

Here are lahat ng nakuha ko so far (from Tia Lolengs):

ProMatrix 7 (1550) - 2nd bag ko na to and so far ok naman.
    Mutant Mass 17 lbs (2800) - bought this not as Whey replacement but mostly for days na hindi na tlaga ako makakain at kulang pa rin macros.
    ON Creatine Powder (1250) - first time ko magCreatine so sana may results kahit konti
    ON Amino 2222 tablets (750) - accdg to lean-gains maganda daw ito for pre-workout (although hindi ako nag16 hour fasting).
    Muscle Shaker (150 lang!) - 2nd shaker ko but ito ung version na may metal whisk ball sa loob

Di pa rin ako nakabili Fish Oils, Multivits or Fat Burners, need pa rin ba talga mga ito?
  • monching11monching11 Posts: 7,273
    Lean gains?!?!?!? Omg goodluck brah... di ako hater pero i am yet to be impressed pa by leangains or people who I knew that went for it.

If i were you I'd drop the mass gainer, amino and went for multi and fishoil.

Practice eating a lot pero OK na din yan kung yan intention mo for the mass gainer.

Photos?
    F weight gainers make your own weight gainer more tastier pa and ma eenjoy mo
  • Big DawgBig Dawg Posts: 645
    Yatez wrote:
    F weight gainers make your own weight gainer more tastier pa and ma eenjoy mo

+1

Cheaper also. Gram per gram and peso per peso, peanut butter can't be beat for adding cals. One container costs like 160php, and provides almost 3000 cals with healthy fats. Throw in some pb, ice cream, whole milk, eggs & whey in the blender and you have a cals-packed, high protein/high fat shake at a fraction of the cost of "weight gainer" powder. :)
  • daltonkamotedaltonkamote Posts: 3,629
    8oz whole milk, 2scoops whey,32grms pb,1banana,spinach this is my fave, lol
    250ml/8oz milk, 5 tbsps or 160g peanut butter, 2 scoops whey 200g banana 40g oats that will amount to 1.6-1.8k cals better than that mass gainer that you will be buying in supp stores and atleast you know that you have good sources of carbs in there and not refined sugars and also quality protein and fats.
    nboks wrote:
    1/12/2013 Update:

BTW Dumaan ako earlier sa Cash an Carry Mall para magsupplement shopping! I was thinking baka mas makatulong ang more supplements para makita ko man lang ung kauntin gainz bago magsimula ang swimming season.

Here are lahat ng nakuha ko so far (from Tia Lolengs):

ProMatrix 7 (1550) - 2nd bag ko na to and so far ok naman.
    Mutant Mass 17 lbs (2800) - bought this not as Whey replacement but mostly for days na hindi na tlaga ako makakain at kulang pa rin macros.
    ON Creatine Powder (1250) - first time ko magCreatine so sana may results kahit konti
    ON Amino 2222 tablets (750) - accdg to lean-gains maganda daw ito for pre-workout (although hindi ako nag16 hour fasting).
    Muscle Shaker (150 lang!) - 2nd shaker ko but ito ung version na may metal whisk ball sa loob

Di pa rin ako nakabili Fish Oils, Multivits or Fat Burners, need pa rin ba talga mga ito?

WOW! Bigtime!
    ON Crea - expensive brand pag dating sa crea. Ikaw na :)
    ON Amino 2222 - Ito ba talaga sinabi sa leangains o BCAA?
    I agree kay Mon, sana nag multi and fish oil ka na lang instead na mutant mass at amino. Sayang kaso nakabili ka na e hehe.

Dapat ang tanong mass gainers, amino, need pa ba nito?
    Thanks sa replies guys, plan ko lang tlaga for Mass Gainer is parang extra meal lang na ininom (with protein pa) since kulang talaga kain ko.

Also, medyo peanut butter, eggs and tuna lang din ang fall-back ko sa bahay in case i need additional protein sources pero sometimes kulang pa rin tlaga sa macro so either magwhey or mass gainer ako depende sa kulang pang calories for the day.

Yung opinion nyo sa Amino is medyo agree ako, sa leangains ko lang nabasa na required sya pre-workout binili ko na din since mura lang naman ung tabs (At para masubukan kung may effect ba). also mali ata ung impression ko na pareho ung amino acids sa BCAA, oh well lesson learned.

Next time na daan ko sa C&C, i'll try fish oils, multivit na din depende sa budget.
    Mali, required ang BCAA sa leangains if you are working out on fasted..

pero if you are working out on after quite some time taken a meal, not necessarily needed. Plus the fact that if you're on a bulk hindi masyado kelangan ang BCAA.. that's me based on google.

Madali lang kumuha ng protein sources kung may pera, isang pechong manok boneless and skinless, eggs, whey, traces on rice. dyan pa lang lalagpas ka na 100g +
    since im at the 16th week of my program na, iiniisip kong magMini-Cut for 1 month bago balik full bulking. Pampababa lang ng BF% kahit a few percent lang para di naman ako tumaba ng sobra. Good idea kaya to?
  • babalik din yan body fat's na yan, pag nag bulk ka for me mas ok na mag bulk na muna ng sagad! then cut pag meron ng icucut! show pic kasi para makita ng mga master :D
    Walang mapapala yang mini cut mo ng 1month set back lang mangyayari sayo dyan
    I think I made a big mistake... i mistook 1 tsp of Creatine for 1 tbsp and natapos ko na ung isang buong ON Creatine by taking almost 15g (instead of 5g a day). Is that dangerous?
    I just bought new Creatine stocks (Dynametized brand this time) so i can still correct my dosage.