Recommended Meal Supplement Drinks

Has anyone tried using Meal Supplements instead of eating their meals?

I'm planning to mix in Whey with Flax seed for my morning chug. Of course taking in my multivitamins.

Anyone else has tried this? What do you guys mix in with your whey or meal supplement? What meal replacements do you recommend or not recommend?

Comments

• riddlerriddler Posts: 1,018
    Kung may blender ka, it's much better. This is what we call in S2B as Super Shake.

Try this:
    1 or 2 scoops of Whey protein (preferably chocolate or vanilla flavor)
    1 Banana
    1 tbsp Ground Flax Seed
    A handful of Spinach

It's a complete and nutritious meal in liquid form.
  • riddler wrote:
    Kung may blender ka, it's much better. This is what we call in S2B as Super Shake.

Try this:
    1 Banana
    1 tbsp Ground Flax Seed
    A handful of Spinach

Thanks for the tip! Medyo mahal nga lang bumili ng spinach! I decided pala to switch my flax seed with chia instead. Looked it up and it seemed Chia has less calories and doesn't make the liquid pulpy and thick when left out too long.
    riddler wrote:

Try this:
    1 Banana
    1 tbsp Ground Flax Seed
    A handful of Spinach

Thanks for the tip! Medyo mahal nga lang bumili ng spinach! I decided pala to switch my flax seed with chia instead. Looked it up and it seemed Chia has less calories and doesn't make the liquid pulpy and thick when left out too long.

Happy to be of any help to fellow fitness enthusiast.

You can try other greens too, pero sa experience ko, spinach is the best. Walang nasty/unpleasant flavor sa shake. Celery is quite good too. I believe romaine lettuce would work well too. Yung iceberg lettuce should also be good, but it pales in comparison with the above mentioned alternatives when it comes to their nutritional profile.

Sa fruits naman, mix and match din. You can try strawberries, oranges, kiwi, apple, etc.
  • pmdbpmdb Posts: 34
    I would rather go for full meals, unless you're really pressed for time of course. Remember, full meals burn more calories due to the need for more energy when digesting food. That's why a lot of pre-contest bodybuilders cut out shakes/meal replacements to take advantage of burning off more calories.

Oats, Whey, Banana then throw them in a blender. Mighty breakfast imo. 2 meal replacements. 4 whole meals. That's the most shakes I'd consume in a day. Try throwing in egg whites or even egg wholes in the blender, too.
  • pmdb wrote:
    I would rather go for full meals, unless you're really pressed for time of course. Remember, full meals burn more calories due to the need for more energy when digesting food. That's why a lot of pre-contest bodybuilders cut out shakes/meal replacements to take advantage of burning off more calories.

Oats, Whey, Banana then throw them in a blender. Mighty breakfast imo. 2 meal replacements. 4 whole meals. That's the most shakes I'd consume in a day. Try throwing in egg whites or even egg wholes in the blender, too.

Bro question? Is it raw or cooked eggs that you add in the blender?if raw,how does it taste?musta naman ang tyan mo.nde ka ba nagsusuka, nagtatae or sumasakit ang tiyan because of salmonella? I mean theres a risk of eating raw eggs like Biotin deficiency and the salmonella.
    Btw, do you have a journal? Can you share your meal plan,nutrition and diet and show your progress so that we can learn from you and be an inspiration to others.honestly speaking,bobo pa ko sa parteng yan,i dont count calories,always guesstimates lang kaya the progress is too slow.
  • I used to do the same, oats, whey, banana, peanut butter, raw eggs for breakfast. It was mostly the peanut butter and banana that you taste. Didn't have any problems. Get pasteurized eggs if you want to make sure you don't get salmonella, others say you can also just poach them. Eggs from free range chicken also have less risk of salmonella if the former isn't an option for you.

I don't believe the thermic effect of food is much of a factor, but I also prefer whole foods to meal replacement as it's just more nutritious over stuff like mass gainers (which just have sugar or maltodextrin). The only time I would prefer those carbs to real food is as workout nutrition.
  • For meal replacement drink (in case of emergency or if necessary) I recommend just a scoop of whey sa mga clients ko na girl. Unlike satin na mga guys na mas mabigat at mas malaki, mas konti ang calorie requirement ng babae kadalasan kasi around 95-120lbs lang naman timbang ng majority ng babaeng lifters. Loaded shakes will take out a huge portion of their calorie quota and that doesn't work well IME for weightloss and weight gain goals ng mga karaniwang babae (with a few exceptions ofcourse). Kaya if I will have them take a shake with fruits, peanut butter, etc. might as well sit down and eat dahil hindi rin naman mabilis magprep ng loaded na shake sa totoo lang. Hindi din lahat ng girls kaya uminom ng ganung kadaming liquid agad lalo na kung 24-26 inches lang ang waistline nila.

favorite shake ko: 1.5scoops vanilla whey, 1 glass fresh milk, half cup water, strawberry jam.
    fave no-blender shake naman: 1 scoop whey, 1 glass fresh milk, half cup water and 1 scoop Purple Wraath
  • For meal replacement drink (in case of emergency or if necessary) I recommend just a scoop of whey sa mga clients ko na girl. Unlike satin na mga guys na mas mabigat at mas malaki, mas konti ang calorie requirement ng babae kadalasan kasi around 95-120lbs lang naman timbang ng majority ng babaeng lifters. Loaded shakes will take out a huge portion of their calorie quota and that doesn't work well IME for weightloss and weight gain goals ng mga karaniwang babae (with a few exceptions ofcourse). Kaya if I will have them take a shake with fruits, peanut butter, etc. might as well sit down and eat dahil hindi rin naman mabilis magprep ng loaded na shake sa totoo lang. Hindi din lahat ng girls kaya uminom ng ganung kadaming liquid agad lalo na kung 24-26 inches lang ang waistline nila.

favorite shake ko: 1.5scoops vanilla whey, 1 glass fresh milk, half cup water, strawberry jam.
    fave no-blender shake naman: 1 scoop whey, 1 glass fresh milk, half cup water and 1 scoop Purple Wraath

Hi badass_vinch

Salamat sa pag reply at paginclude ng babae sa comment mo. I'm planning to use a shake kasi para iwas kumain ng marami. I tend to eat more calories than I should. A lot of female friends of mine as well as males that work out say na they take their protein shake with seeds and multivitamins and feeling satiated daw sila. I haven't tried but they're all raving about it kaya napatanong ako and this is my first time to try it out. Totoo bang nakakasatiate? 

Marami na din kasi akong kilala that say half their meals in a day are composed of meal replacements na whey shake. Gusto ko lang magclarify. :) 

Salamat in advanced sa opinyon nyo.

Kung may iba ring makakashare ng kanilang knowledge, please do.

Nagsearch na din ako sa thread na to at mostly guys ang active. Sana may mga girls na magshare din ng kanilang comments in future. :)

Hi badass_vinch

Salamat sa pag reply at paginclude ng babae sa comment mo. I'm planning to use a shake kasi para iwas kumain ng marami. I tend to eat more calories than I should. A lot of female friends of mine as well as males that work out say na they take their protein shake with seeds and multivitamins and feeling satiated daw sila. I haven't tried but they're all raving about it kaya napatanong ako and this is my first time to try it out. Totoo bang nakakasatiate?

Marami na din kasi akong kilala that say half their meals in a day are composed of meal replacements na whey shake. Gusto ko lang magclarify. :)

Salamat in advanced sa opinyon nyo.

Nagsearch na din ako sa thread na to at mostly guys ang active. Sana may mga girls na magshare din ng kanilang comments in future. :)

Ganun din ginagawa ko dati, I take my multivitamin and fish oils with my shake. Nothing magical, I just feel na mas ok kung may iba pang sustansya yung shake ko bukod sa protein lang. Yung "feeling" satiated with whey sa experience ko depende sa timing. But not all the time feeling busog ka after taking it. Actually it lessens food cravings para sakin at hindi talaga satiated. Pero hula ko lang nakatulong shempre yung seeds/nuts para mabusog yung mga friends mo.

I would still prefer whole food, kung 50% ng kinakain mo e galing sa supplements hindi yun healthy (physically and mentally). Parang nagkaphobia ka na nun sa food at naging over dependent sa supplements. Most will say... "BUT IT WORKS"... ofcourse everything works pag pinag tiyagaan mo talaga.
  • I've had whey while still eating a full meal, I don't consider it nakakabusog. Though I suppose if you've already eaten enough at lunch you could just drink that instead of having dinner just to meet daily protein requirements. I wouldn't consider it a magic pill though that will make you skip having a meal to fulfill your diet meal plan. You should develop your discipline to follow a meal plan if you really want to improve yourself (whether that be loosing weight or building muscle). I, for one, do intermittent fasting and do 2 24hour fast a week having only water (next fast being tomorrow).
    For meal replacement drink (in case of emergency or if necessary) I recommend just a scoop of whey sa mga clients ko na girl. Unlike satin na mga guys na mas mabigat at mas malaki, mas konti ang calorie requirement ng babae kadalasan kasi around 95-120lbs lang naman timbang ng majority ng babaeng lifters. Loaded shakes will take out a huge portion of their calorie quota and that doesn't work well IME for weightloss and weight gain goals ng mga karaniwang babae (with a few exceptions ofcourse). Kaya if I will have them take a shake with fruits, peanut butter, etc. might as well sit down and eat dahil hindi rin naman mabilis magprep ng loaded na shake sa totoo lang. Hindi din lahat ng girls kaya uminom ng ganung kadaming liquid agad lalo na kung 24-26 inches lang ang waistline nila.

Hi badass_vinch

Salamat sa pag reply at paginclude ng babae sa comment mo. I'm planning to use a shake kasi para iwas kumain ng marami. I tend to eat more calories than I should. A lot of female friends of mine as well as males that work out say na they take their protein shake with seeds and multivitamins and feeling satiated daw sila. I haven't tried but they're all raving about it kaya napatanong ako and this is my first time to try it out. Totoo bang nakakasatiate? 

Salamat in advanced sa opinyon nyo.

Honestly, kung satiety ang habol mo, I won't drink any shake at all. Iba ang satiety ng whole foods. Mas lalo pa nga ako ginugutom pag nag-shake ako. Probably because it is easier to digest than whole foods.

I agree din kay @badass_vinch, if you are cutting calories, forget the fruit or any other caloric dense add-on. I'd still recommend blending in some greens though since little to no impact naman siya when it comes to calories pero it packs a wallop when it comes to micro-nutrients.
  • pmdbpmdb Posts: 34
    I used to put raw eggs until I read this: http://jn.nutrition.org/content/128/10/1716.full. But you should not have a problem with drinking egg whites if it is pasteurized which is scarce here in our country. For the journal, I plan to put up something soon. Cheers.