Article: Does Your Deadlift Suck?

[size=large]Does Your Deadlift Suck?[/size]

bh0e9i.jpg

A short list of simple things that may be holding you back.

Tonight I realized that, in over a relatively short period of time, I had taken my broken-ass deadlift from shit… to fucking awesome. So I thought I would share some thoughts with everyone on how I got there. This list is excellent for beginners, but even if you’re an experienced lifter, you may be overlooking something.

1. Don’t be a pussy

Yeah, the deadlift sucks. But it’s a true test of your posterior chain (the muscles on your backside). If you’re serious about being big and/or strong, you had better do some deadlifts.

2. Technique

Study good technique. Don’t just watch YouTube gym gurus. Instead, watch professional powerlifters and bodybuilders perform all sorts of deadlifts. If they’re pros, they’re doing something right.

Have someone smart watch you. Sometimes this involves videoing your training session and posting it on Facebook and YouTube—where every asshole can post about it. But if you don’t have people keeping an eye on you, it’s very easy to slip into bad habits.

Practice makes permanent. If you practice bad technique, you will be plagued with bad technique. I will not deadlift for reps of max effort if I do not have someone smart watching it.

Technique is half the deadlift. If your technique sucks, you will get hurt and are shortchanging yourself.

3. Lighten the load

Leave your ego at the door. Sometimes (a lot of the time) you need to lighten the weight and do more reps. This follows Tip #2: if you can’t do 10 or more reps with excellent form, something might be wrong.

Deadlifting heavy is taxing on the CNS. If you go heavy too often, your gains will eventually suffer. I’ve learned this myself and so have many of my training partners. Don’t learn it the hard way.

4. Speed

The other half of the deadlift is explosiveness. With very few exceptions, the deadlift is a two- to three-second lift, and every second after three, your odds of locking it out decrease exponentially. So do some research on the various methods for becoming more explosive. The dynamic effort method is most widely used by power athletes but is really just another form of plyometrics. If you are not explosive, your deadlift will suffer.

5. Your core is weak

Your core isn’t just your abs. Your core consists of your abdominals, obliques, spinal erectors, hips, lats, and traps. If your deadlift is struggling, strengthening and conditioning all of these muscles will increase your lift even if they aren’t the main culprit. Having a stronger core will also make all of your other multi-joint lifts stronger and better, so just do it. (Oh, and refer to Tip #1 and remember that a six-pack does not always equal strong abs).

5btzli.jpg

6. Your grip sucks

Having a strong grip is a necessity when deadlifting for a lot of reps or with heavy weight. However, sore forearms and feeling like you can’t hold on to the bar is very psychologically damaging and may hold you back. Plus, we could all use a stronger grip and it benefits every lift, so why not do it?

7. You need better conditioning

You need to have the energy to get work done. One thing I began to notice was that I was burning out by the end of my warmup. My conditioning was shit, and it was keeping my deadlift in the mud. So, sometimes it’s beneficial to lighten the load and do more reps (See Tip #3). Also, every now and then cut your rest time to really annihilate yourself. The deadlift is very taxing on your body and regardless of the intensity of the workout, you’ll probably be feeling dead after it.

Credits to the author

Orig article is here

Comments

• Mighty_OakMighty_Oak Posts: 3,940
    I'm doing #4 now and then improving #5.
  • I'm working on #2, 4 and 5 as well, we need to get better if we are to compete and also become big and strong ass mofos :biggrin:
  • allen101allen101 Posts: 5,102
    Good post! Nice
    I'm working on #2, 4 and 5 as well, we need to get better if we are to compete and also become big and strong ass mofos :biggrin:

Hell yeah. 500lbs on it's way!
  • This line made my day
    (Oh, and refer to Tip #1 and remember that a six-pack does not always equal strong abs).

Nyahaha! Huli ka balbon! :biggrin:
  • kulafu25kulafu25 Posts: 292
    mga master,

iniisip kong magdeload sa deadlift ko,kasi parang nastuck na ako sa 170 lbs tapos 1 rep lang yun..

balak ko po sana babaan yung weight tapos dagdagan ng reps up to 5. mas ok po ba yun mga master?

nung mga una kong deadlift po ay 5 reps lagi, pero nung nag-umpisa na sa 140 ay 1 rep na lang po lage for 5 sets then napansin kong parang hindi na ako nagproprogress
  • yep tama lang yun, baba sa poundage bang it out for reps muna then work your way up gradually ulit. normal lang yan na mag stall ka. saka check din your nutrition and resting habits. anu ba routine mo? 5x5?
    yep tama lang yun, baba sa poundage bang it out for reps muna then work your way up gradually ulit. normal lang yan na mag stall ka. saka check din your nutrition and resting habits. anu ba routine mo? 5x5?

SL 5x5 po gamit kong rutine sir, sa deadlift lang po ako nag 1 x 5 since nung 140 na po yung buhat ko.

napansin ko nun, parang wala na akong progress sa deadlift then apektado na din yung squats ko parang hindi na din nagprogress.

Try ko po sir ideload...maraming salamat po!cheers
  • Try mo sir mag add ng assistance exercises na may carry over sa DLs and squat. san ka ba hirap sa DL? sa bottom part ng movement?, middle part or before lockout?
    sa bottom pa lang sir, yung pagtake-off pa lang...parang nauubusan ng power yung legs ko
  • Hmmm you might need to work better on your leverages and explosiveness, also train your posterior core (particularly hams and glutes it does a lot of wonders sa DL and squat if you train them well)
    sige sir, try ko din po yan....maraming salamat po ulit sa mga tips! mabuhay kayo! =)
    ^How heavy is your squat? Do you use your legs instead of your back when pulling the weight?
  • StannisStannis Posts: 1,377
    Pedeng pa check nito kung tama ba yung mga tips para sa improvement para sa DL, kulang experience ko para mag assess hahaha

http://www.tonygentilcore.com/blog/5-tips-to-improve-your-deadlift/

Gusto ko din talagang mag DL ng raw, kaso ang papangit ng mga bars sa bakal gym dito, smooth na halos lahat ng bars ang dulas ng i-grip. Parang gusto ko tuloy mag straps. Chalk sana kaso wala ng seller dito, diba?
    Sama ka ba sa GWO sa Saturday? Pupunta kasi ako sa head coach ng Zest PL team before going to the GWO baka may chalk na sila ulit dun kuha kita.
    Gusto ko nga sana kaso may lakad ako, pede bang dumaan lang? Hahaha.

Tsaka may nakakakilala ba sa inyo kay Barry Ross at Brian Mackenzie?

Si Barry Ross yung nag incorporate ng DLs para magincrease yung sprint speed, kung di ako nagkakamali max weight tapos matagal ang interval, para strength lang at di pumasok sa hypertrophy ng maiwasan ang pag gain ng weight. May record holder siyang tinulungan.

Tapos si Brian Mackenzie naman eh ginagamit ang DL para sa endurance training. DL + tabata kung di ako nagkakamali.

Kung merong nakakakilala sa kanila baka meron kayong free na ebook? Wala akong makita hahaha.
    Stannis wrote:
    Pedeng pa check nito kung tama ba yung mga tips para sa improvement para sa DL, kulang experience ko para mag assess hahaha

http://www.tonygentilcore.com/blog/5-tips-to-improve-your-deadlift/

Medyo generic yung mga advise nya and I disagree with # 5.

Look for articles and vids by Dave Tate, Louie Simmons, Andy Bolton, Jim Wendler etc. Yung mga instructional vids ng Elite Fts sa YT ok yun panoorin mo. dahil sa pag correct nila ng form nung isang trainee nakapag set agad ng PR on the same day.

Yung The Phase that launch a thousand pounds ni Andy Bolton nasa YT na.
    Salamat boss Mighty, nabubuhat ko na kasi ulit yung dati kasi pakiramdam ko ang dami kong mali ngayon. Tapos palagay ko ang hina ng core ko ngayon, doms buo kong tiyan after 2 days. Haha
  • Same thoughts general masyado ang inputs and kinda off nga yung #5 coz it beats the very purpose of getting strong overall. though i guess it could only apply most probably if the bars are really smooth.
    Pawisin kasi kamay ko kaya badtrip, dumudulas na din sa loob ng gloves na gamit ko kaya ganito kamay ko ngayon.

14y4c5.jpg
    Buti nga ang kinis pa ng sayo eh! hahaha

Wag ka gumamit ng gloves lalo ma sacrifice grip mo. Chalk talaga kailangan mo.
    Minsan kasi napagtritripan ko kamay ko, kinutkot ko kaya minsan pumapantay haha.

Baka sumadya na lang pala akosa Zest pag nagka oras. For sale ba ang chalk sa kanila o sa kilala lang?
    Sa kakilala lang, di talaga sila nagbebenta dun kaya dapat maabisuhan in advance.
  • allen101allen101 Posts: 5,102
    Ang kinis nga hehe.
    Hanggang anong oras kaya kayo dun? Sa QC lang din kasi lakad ko sa sabado, baka makasaglit ako.

Lotion yan papa allen ahahah
    5-6 ang call time sa gym! Sama ka na!
    Mighty_Oak wrote:
    ^How heavy is your squat? Do you use your legs instead of your back when pulling the weight?

ang max ko po sa squats sir ay 180 lbs ( hindi kasama yung weight ng bar ).

Yup sa legs ko po kinukuha yung lakas ko kapag ascend sa squats at deadlift sir.

Pangstabilize lang po ng weight yung back ko sa squats.

Nagtry po ako dati,isang rep sa squats,ginamitan ko sa pull ko ng back, ayun hindi nakatulong parang lalong bumigat at parang nasira yung porma ko. So hindi ko na po inulit simula nun,tinry ko lang po kung anong pakiramdam at anong mangyayari...
  • JettieJettie Posts: 3,763
    good article at thread sakto may DL ako mamaya..

eto kaya tama to?

Kasi ganyan gingwa ko since naka 1x5 ako at my heaviest lift at 220lbs.. Then later instead increasing gagawin ko muna 3x5 and slowly making it up to 5x5 since baka mabigla ako hehe..

About sa grip, gamit ko yung parang sa handle ng bike na ginupit sa gitna wala kasi chalk sa bakal gym hehe okay lang kaya yun? Tinanggal ko na kasi mag gloves at sagabal para sakin.
  • Sir mighty pwede pasabay narin sa chalk? Magkano ba yun?
  • redred Posts: 753
    " So, sometimes it’s beneficial to lighten the load and do more reps (See Tip #3) "

nakaka relate ako lalo na pag kulang sa tulog at tinatamad ang katawan LOLS