journey to gain muscle and strength

1141516171820»

Comments

• HawkEye02HawkEye02 Posts: 454
    nagka trangkaso forced to take a whole week rest from working out. I've lost some weight. >.<

pero ang maganda bukas balik gym na! haha! i'm going to switch to push/pull routine.Ok kaya ito guys? nakita ko sa forums ng BB.com

Monday: Pulling (Back/Biceps/Deadlift)
    - Deadlifts (3 sets)
    - Chins (3 sets)
    - One-Arm Dumbbell Rows (2 sets)
    - Close Grip Pulldowns (2 sets)
    - Barbell Curls (2 sets)
    - Hammer Curls (1 set)

Wednesday: Pushing (Chest/Shoulders/Triceps)
    - Flat Dumbbell Bench Press (3 Sets)
    - Incline Barbell Bench Press (2 sets)
    - Dips (2 sets)
    - Seated Dumbbell Military Press (3 sets)
    - Overhead Dumbbell Extension (2 sets)
    - Side Laterals (2 sets)
    - Pushdowns (2 sets)
    - Cable Crossover / Pec Deck (1 set)

Friday: Lower Body (Legs)
    - Squats (4 sets)
    - Strait Leg Deadlifts (2 sets)
    - Walking Lunges (2 sets)
    - Leg Curl / Feet High Leg Press Superset (2 sets)
    - Calf Raises (3 sets)

For initial compound movement in each workout I generally work in the 3-5 rep range. For the next compound movement I typically go with 5-8 reps, and then I finish the rest of the workout (accessory/isolation movements) in the 8-12 rep range.
    PULL:
    - Deadlifts (3 sets x 5 reps) 160lbs
    - Chins (3 sets x 8 reps) 80lbs
    - One-Arm Dumbbell Rows (2 sets x 12 reps) 25lbs
    - Cable Rows (3 sets x 10 reps) 70lbs
    - Barbell Curls (2 sets x 10 reps) 30lbs
    - Hammer Curls (1 set x 10 reps) 15lbs
    - Roman Chair (3 sets x 15 reps) BW
  • CoreCore Posts: 2,509
    Parang 3-day split Max-OT yung dating ng workout mo...
  • badass_vinchbadass_vinch Posts: 4,471
    Sir suggestion lang, incorporate abdominal work on your routines. i dont see any direct work on your abdominals in your plan.

monday: add back extensions (since your hitting your posterior chain, this will ensure you hit your lower back directly)
    wednesday: add leg raises, crunches, etc (anterior muscles are your focus for this day)
    friday: add roman chair twist, broomstick twist or medicine ball twist (crunches and back extensions are not the best options during leg days since you will need a strong lower back for squatting and SLDL so twisting movements is the option)

as you can see, you were able to hit your body in all planes of motion on the entire 3 day split. your abwork hits your midsection from a different angle and movement every workout. you have bending, crunching and twisting.
  • Big DawgBig Dawg Posts: 645
    HawkEye02 wrote:
    PULL:

- One-Arm Dumbbell Rows (2 sets x 12 reps) 25lbs

- Barbell Curls (2 sets x 10 reps) 30lbs
    - Hammer Curls (1 set x 10 reps) 15lbs

You've been working out for 2 years dude??? If so, its hard to believe that you can be pushing yourself hard with the above weights. No offense, just sayin'.
    salamat ulit bro vinch! i'll consider your advise!@big dawg - yes bro seryoso yung 2 years pero hindi ko alam kung bakit minimal gains lang nakukuha ko.
    -_- sinusubukan ko naman mag increase ng weight lifted every session. pag kumain ako ng madami lumolobo lang ako pag nagbawas naman ng food intake nagiging payatot ako. sa tingin ko sa nutrition ang problema ko.
  • DregPittDregPitt Posts: 987
    HawkEye02 wrote:
    salamat ulit bro vinch! i'll consider your advise!@big dawg - yes bro seryoso yung 2 years pero hindi ko alam kung bakit minimal gains lang nakukuha ko.
    -_- sinusubukan ko naman mag increase ng weight lifted every session. pag kumain ako ng madami lumolobo lang ako pag nagbawas naman ng food intake nagiging payatot ako. sa tingin ko sa nutrition ang problema ko.

bro, Big dawg cant understand tagalog.. xD

btw i think you and i are having the same problem. i see little to no gains at all for the past few months. although i havent been consistent in training. but i think the reason behind my minimum gainz is because of my diet. i think i really need to get at least 1gprotein per bdweight and ofcourse check my carbs and fat intake as well. :sleepy:

goodluck to us. hehe
    DregPitt wrote:
    HawkEye02 wrote:

bro, Big dawg cant understand tagalog.. xD

btw i think you and i are having the same problem. i see little to no gains at all for the past few months. although i havent been consistent in training. but i think the reason behind my minimum gainz is because of my diet. i think i really need to get at least 1gprotein per bdweight and ofcourse check my carbs and fat intake as well. :sleepy:

goodluck to us. hehe

In bold bro ^^^ you already answered your own question about small gains. ;)

Diet of course is crucial, but it all starts in the gym. You always hear many people say that diet is 80% and training is 20% blah blah blah - thats bullshit haha. Example, you can bust ass in the gym, and diet be just ok but not great and still make some gains, although not great gains. However, on the flipside, your diet can be great - eating even 3g of protein per lb. of bdwt, but if you don't even workout, your gains will be WALA haha. But its not a either/or situation, I just use that extreme example to make a point. For best gains, one should look at it like training is 100% AND diet is 100%. :)
    HawkEye02 wrote:

Hawk, I had my fiance translate that for me. If you have really been serious pumping iron for 2 years, then you MUST be doing something wrong dude. The reason I say that is bcoz I believe I could randomly go choose any guy off the street that doesn't even work out and have him do 10 reps of hammer curls with only 15lb db's. Again, no offense, just being real dude. I mean, do you focus and get psyched up for a minute or so before you grab those db's to do your set? Or are you the type that lives on the cell phone at the gym and just go through the motions without even caring? I really want to know, bcoz I'm sure after 2 years you can do much more than that. Same with 30lb bb curls. Try drinking a Cobra before going to the gym man, get PSYCHED, get ANGRY mode before you do your set. Tell yourself you WILL do it! And turn the cp OFF when at the gym.

Just my take
  • DregPittDregPitt Posts: 987
    ill follow your advise as well sir BD. cheers thanks!
  • badass_vinchbadass_vinch Posts: 4,471
    if you're not seeing results for months assuming you are training hard and have a decent diet, that doesn't mean that what you're doing is wrong. you are simply doing the right things at the wrong time. CHANGE is all you need, training is a stimulus. if you attack your workout the same way for a long time eventually your body will adapt to it, things will feel easy. your newbie gains will slow down coz you are no longer a beginner. its time to upgrade things. if you think you are training hard, look around, some one out there for sure is working harder. i see a lot of people in my gym training with high intensity but i've never seen anyone there training BEYOND HIS COMFORT ZONE.

Adding a few plates on the bar will increase the difficulty of the exercise, rep it out, ask for a spot, finish the set, walk away, then rest... once you recovered from that i bet you can do that AGAIN! simply because you are training within your comfort zone. this is very true especially on your favorite exercises. you can do it all day and im telling you, you will go on circles trying to get the sparks.

Test your self bro, experiment. do something crazy! once you've gone past your limits, you will never go back. good luck!
    Nevermind my post - I just seen he was using 40's and 50's on hammers a few posts back. I didn't bother to back read earlier. Perhaps he was just taking it easy that day with the 15's or has an injury I don't know, but apparently it wasn't due to a sticking point issue bcoz he has used 3x that weight in prior workouts haha. :)
    thanks for the motivation guys! sometimes i really feel frustrated about my gains. i see some my gym mates really transformed their bodies after months, but me, i think i still look the same.

@big dawg - haha if you are talking on why my recent lifting stats suddenly dropped, it's because i just recovered from flu.
    PUSH:
    - Flat Barbell Bench Press (3 Sets x 120lbs) 5 reps
    - Incline Dumbell Bench Press (2 sets x 90lbs) 5 reps
    - Dips (2 sets x BW) 10 reps
    - Seated Dumbbell Military Press (3 sets x 60lbs) 8 reps
    - Close Grip Bench Press (2 sets x 70lbs) 8 reps
    - Side Laterals (2 sets x 30lbs) 12 reps
    - Pushdowns (2 sets x 100lbs) 12 reps
    - Incline Pec Deck (1 set x 40lbs) 20 reps
    - Leg Raise (3 sets x BW) 15 reps
    - Decline Crunch (3 sets x 25lbs) 12 reps
    - Cable Crunch (3 sets x 100lbs) 12 reps
    HawkEye02 wrote:
    @big dawg - haha if you are talking on why my recent lifting stats suddenly dropped, it's because i just recovered from flu.

Ahh that explains it. I KNEW something didn't seem right with that weight haha. Yeah the flu is a strength zapper for sure, but muscle memory will have you back in no time. Keep on gettin' it bro. :)
    LOWER BODY
    - Squats (4 sets x 70lbs) 10 reps
    - Strait Leg Deadlifts (2 sets x 70lbs) 12 reps
    - Dumbell Lunges (2 sets x 40lbs) 12 reps
    - Leg Curl 50lbs/ Feet High Leg Press 150lbs Superset (2 sets x 12 reps)
    - Calf Raises (3 sets x 70lbs) 12 reps
    - Roman Chair (3 sets x BW) 20 reps
    - Decline Plate Twists (3 sets x 15lbs) 20 reps
    PULL:
    - Deadlifts (3 sets x 5 reps) 180lbs
    - Reverse Grip Lat Pulls (3 sets x 10 reps) 90lbs
    - One-Arm Dumbbell Rows (2 sets x 12 reps) 30lbs
    - Close Grip Lat Pulls (2 sets x 8 reps) 90lbs
    - Barbell Curls (2 sets x 10 reps) 40lbs
    - Hammer Curls (1 set x 12 reps) 20lbs
    - Hyperextensions (3 sets x 12 reps) BW
    PUSH:
    - Flat Barbell Bench Press (3 Sets x 130lbs) 5 reps
    - Incline Dumbell Bench Press (2 sets x 90lbs) 6 reps
    - Dips (2 sets x BW) 12 reps
    - Seated Dumbbell Military Press (3 sets x 60lbs) 10 reps
    - Close Grip Bench Press (2 sets x 70lbs) 10 reps
    - Side Laterals (2 sets x 30lbs) 15 reps
    - Pushdowns (2 sets x 110lbs) 10 reps
    - Incline Pec Deck (1 set x 50lbs) 15 reps
    - Leg Raise (3 sets x BW) 20 reps
    - Decline Crunch (3 sets x 25lbs) 15 reps
    - Cable Crunch (3 sets x 110lbs) 12 reps
    PULL:
    - Deadlifts (3 sets x 3 reps) 190lbs
    - Reverse Grip Lat Pulls (3 sets x 8 reps) 100lbs
    - One-Arm Dumbbell Rows (2 sets x 12 reps) 35lbs
    - Close Grip Lat Pulls (2 sets x 8 reps) 90lbs
    - Barbell Curls (2 sets x 6 reps) 50lbs
    - Hammer Curls (1 set x 12 reps) 25lbs
    - Hyperextensions (3 sets x 15 reps) BW
    PUSH:
    - Flat Barbell Bench Press (3 Sets x 140lbs) 3 reps
    - Incline Dumbell Bench Press (2 sets x 90lbs) 7 reps
    - Dips (2 sets x BW) 10 reps
    - Seated Dumbbell Military Press (3 sets x 60lbs) 8 reps
    - Close Grip Bench Press (2 sets x 70lbs) 12 reps
    - Side Laterals (2 sets x 40lbs) 12 reps
    - Pushdowns (2 sets x 120lbs) 12 reps
    - Incline Pec Deck (1 set x 50lbs) 15 reps
    - Decline Crunch (3 sets x 25lbs) 20 reps
    - Cable Crunch (3 sets x 115lbs) 12 reps
    LOWER BODY
    - Squats (4 sets x 70lbs) 12 reps
    - Straight Leg Deadlifts (2 sets x 70lbs) 12 reps
    - Dumbell Lunges (2 sets x 30lbs) 12 reps
    - Leg Curl 45lbs/ Feet High Leg Press 160lbs Superset (2 sets x 12 reps)
    - Calf Raises (3 sets x 80lbs) 12 reps
    - Roman Chair (3 sets x BW) 20 reps
    - Decline Plate Twists (3 sets x 20lbs) 20 reps
    Late update ngayon lang ulit nakapag open ng account, last week journal

PULL:
    - Deadlifts (3 sets x 4 reps) 190lbs
    - Reverse Grip Lat Pulls (3 sets x 10 reps) 100lbs
    - One-Arm Dumbbell Rows (2 sets x 12 reps) 40lbs
    - Close Grip Lat Pulls (2 sets x 10 reps) 90lbs
    - Barbell Curls (2 sets x 8 reps) 50lbs
    - Hammer Curls (1 set x 15 reps) 25lbs
    - Hyperextensions (3 sets x 15 reps) 10lbs

PUSH:
    - Flat Barbell Bench Press (3 Sets x 140lbs) 3 reps
    - Incline Dumbell Bench Press (2 sets x 90lbs) 8 reps
    - Dips (2 sets x BW) 12 reps
    - Seated Dumbbell Military Press (3 sets x 60lbs) 10 reps
    - Close Grip Bench Press (2 sets x 80lbs) 8 reps
    - Side Laterals (2 sets x 40lbs) 15 reps
    - One arm extensions (2 sets x 15lbs) 12reps
    - Incline Pec Deck (1 set x 50lbs) 20 reps
    - Decline Crunch (3 sets x 25lbs) 25 reps
    - Cable Crunch (3 sets x 120lbs) 12 reps

LOWER BODY

I did full body circuit at home, 3 rounds with 30sec rest between rounds.

10 push ups
    25 crunches
    25 squats
    30 lunges
    50 high jumps
    1 min wall sitguys hanggang ngayon may nararamdaman akong slight pain sa lower back ko tutuloy ko kaya deadlift ko? or bawas muna?